Author Topic: Ulster Protestant Association UPA  (Read 1572 times)

brendain122

Ulster Protestant Association UPA
« on: July 24, 2018, 12:28:57 AM »
Has anyone any memories of the Ulster Protestant Association UPA on the late 1950s and especially its influence and activities in in the Shipyard. Ian paisley was a prominent figure in the organisation. it had many branches in Belfast including one at the shipyard.[/size]

jjmack

Re: Ulster Protestant Association UPA
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 12:34:04 AM »
Personally I have never heard of it ?  ???
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

roycraw.

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 08:37:35 AM »
Has anyone any memories of the Ulster Protestant Association UPA on the late 1950s and especially its influence and activities in in the Shipyard. Ian paisley was a prominent figure in the organisation. it had many branches in Belfast including one at the shipyard.[/size]
hi  b122,  what happened to you? we were in constant touch through our posts, and then.  nothing, i thought you must have died or lost interest  and i had mentioned the upa on several occasions ,  hoping you are well. cheers roy c.

brendain122

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 11:32:27 AM »
Hi Royc. I've been away from the site since we last communicated and just returned yesterday. I appreciated your very helpful replies and interest in my enquiries. So I back on and pursuing this particular issue about the UPA.

toadstool999

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 10:25:07 PM »
I got this from Google, there's lots of other stuff as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulster_Protestant_Action

This was in the 1950's, is this what you meant, 'Action' and not 'Association'?

http://www.theirishstory.com/2016/02/15/the-mad-dance-of-death-the-ulster-protestant-association-in-belfast-1921-22/#.W1eZA9JKhD8
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

brendain122

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 12:09:57 AM »
Thank you very much for this information. I have read both extracts during my initial research. I', trying to contact former shipyard workers who were members of the organization and it's shipyard to hear of their recollections of its purpose and activities.

brendain122

Re: Ulster Protestant Action UPA
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 11:53:43 AM »
Personally I have never heard of it ?  ???

MargaretS

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 01:53:55 PM »

Ian ogs da was one of  its  leaders
a large  percentage of unionist and their politicians were in it
they held meetings in glengall street
 So there must be loads of people can help you
like old  R U  C and B  SPECIAL   clubs
shipyard /ropeworks  / mackies  workers
it was all about keeping catholic in their place
The crimes of the B specials the R U C the U D R and the British ARMY should never be forgotten   justice for all
no matter how long it takes

brendain122

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 04:48:11 PM »
I would have thought so but despite the post having been viewed 285 times I've had four replies? I imagine a lot of contemporaries of the 1950s given their age now are likely not using internet sites. Others I suspect are simply reluctant to disclose information that the organisation given its purpose. One can only try.

Bigali

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 05:55:13 PM »
I'd never heard of it before until I saw this thread , so maybe not as well known as some might suggest.
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

belle

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 06:59:47 PM »
I would have thought so but despite the post having been viewed 285 times I've had four replies? I imagine a lot of contemporaries of the 1950s given their age now are likely not using internet sites. Others I suspect are simply reluctant to disclose information that the organisation given its purpose. One can only try.
I think that's probably nearer the mark.
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

brendain122

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 07:08:37 PM »
Has anyone any memories of the Ulster Protestant Association UPA on the late 1950s and especially its influence and activities in in the Shipyard. Ian paisley was a prominent figure in the organisation. it had many branches in Belfast including one at the shipyard.

Ulster Protestant Action[/font] (UPA) was an Ulster loyalist and Protestant fundamentalist vigilante group in Northern Ireland that was founded in 1956 and reformed as the Protestant Unionist Party in 1966.[/font]
The group was founded at a special meeting at the Ulster Unionist Party's (UUP) offices in Glengall Street, Belfast, in 1956. Among the attendees were many loyalists who were to become major figures in the 1960s and 1970, such as Ian Paisley and Desmond Boal. The meeting's declared purpose was to organise the defence of Ulster Protestant areas against anticipated Irish Republican Army (IRA) activity, The new body decided to call itself "Ulster Protestant Action", and the first year of its existence was taken up with the discussion of vigilante patrols, street barricades, and drawing up lists of IRA suspects in Belfast and rural areas.[/font]
The initial executive of the UPA consisted of John McQuade, Billy Spence, Charles McCullough, Richard Fenton, Frank Millar, Sammy Verner, Herbert Ditty, Bob Newman and Noel Doherty, with Paisley as an ex officio member.[/font]
Even though no IRA threat materialised in Belfast, and despite it becoming clear that the IRA's activities during the Border Campaign were to be limited to the border areas, Ulster Protestant Action remained in being. Factory and workplace branches were formed under the UPA, including one by Paisley in Belfast's Ravenhill area under his direct control. The concern of the UPA increasingly came to focus on the defence of "Bible Protestantism" and Protestant interests where jobs and housing were concerned. (Source wikipedia) [/font]

brendain122

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 10:13:03 PM »

brendain122

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 10:14:19 PM »

jjmack

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 09:13:05 PM »

I would think that given your reference to the 1950's any alleged former members of this alleged organisation, who are still living would be a ripe old age. Certainly can't have been a widespread or well known organisation, as virtually no one has ever heard of it, nor indeed know of it. Certainly not I.  :)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.