Author Topic: Lindsay cousin  (Read 1853 times)

jolicoeur

Lindsay cousin
« on: August 06, 2006, 07:59:39 PM »
I am looking for a Margaret Lindsay born in Belfast in 1942. Her father at one time owned the Phoenix Pub in Belfast.

Christopher

Re: Lindsay cousin
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 08:32:49 PM »
Hiya jolicoeur,

I've found the pub in Gary Law's "Historic Pubs of Belfast". It was located at 179-181, Antrim Road, Belfast. A wine and spirit merchant called James Fleming owned the place for many years. In the early 1900s he entered into partnership with a Mr Lindsay. They owned the pub in 1946 when is was hit by a tram. You'll be pleased to hear the pub only suffered slight damage.

I don't think I have much chance of finding Margaret at this hour of day. The book only mentions Margaret's father by his surname. Do you by any chance know his Christian name? If she's married, unless she had brothers, it could be difficult to find her. I don't suppose you know where the Lindsay family lived or which church they attended. What about the school Margaret attended? Post as much information as possible .. we'll see what we can do for you.

Best Wishes, Christopher. 

Mageeka

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 02:43:36 AM »
 Hi jolicoeur
If I am not mistaken , I believe one of Arkies relatives worked in the Phoenix. I will check with him by P.M to find out

jolicoeur

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 05:47:58 PM »
Thanks for the story about the Phoenix Bar and the background on it. My uncle, Hugh Lindsay went into business with James Fleming who owned several pubs in Belfast beside the Phoenix. At some point Fleming retired and Hugh Lindsay became the sole proprietor. In 1905 Hugh lived at 45 Carlisle St. By 1915 he is listed in the Belfast City Directory as a Spirit Merchant residing at Beech House, Lisburn Rd. Hugh died suddenly in 1921 in the Edinburgh castle, one of his bars on York St.

His son James inherited the business. James had two daughters Margaret Virginia and June. James died in Dublin in 1951. My last information is that Margaret was working somewhere in the Belfast area.

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 06:05:27 PM »
Hiya jolicoeur, When did you get your last information.  ???

jolicoeur

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 06:27:59 PM »
My last information is that Margaret Lindsay worked for a time at the Belfast Academic Institute (Inst) in the late 1980's.

Incidentally I am working on a book on the Lindsays of Dundonald and this is a missing link.

Christopher

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 07:17:54 PM »
jolicoeur have you approached RBAI? The Data Protection Act may cause a few problems but on the other hand they may be able to point you in some direction or accept a message to pass on to your cousin.

Have you tried the local papers?  Is Margaret still using her maiden name? A search through electoral rolls might help but to do that it would be necessary to have a rough idea where she lived. Do you know what school she attended? Would she be a member of the former pupils association?

jolicoeur

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 07:30:38 PM »
Christopher,
What is RBAI? I live in Canada and am not familiar with it. I expect to be visiting Belfast in October and posting was just a long shot as I have been looking for Margaret for several years. I have very little information on her.
Many thanks for your interest.

Christopher

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 07:42:45 PM »
Christopher,
What is RBAI? I live in Canada and am not familiar with it. I expect to be visiting Belfast in October and posting was just a long shot as I have been looking for Margaret for several years. I have very little information on her.
Many thanks for your interest.

Many apologies. RBAI is the Royal Belfast Academical Institute (Inst). You are visiting in about two months time. There must be some way to find her.