Author Topic: Ormeau Road Bakery  (Read 514 times)

VLA

Ormeau Road Bakery
« on: July 31, 2018, 07:05:08 PM »
Hi everyone.  Is the Ormeau Road Bakery still going?  I remember the delicious bread and cakes it sold.  They also did little boxes of crunchy toffee sweets that were to die for.  I remember once when we were making wee cakes at school, our teacher told us to go to the Ormeau Road Bakery shop and take a jar, which they would fill with mock cream for 3d, to put on our cakes.  Anyone else remember doing that?  When we left to live in England, my Granny used to send us a box on my Dad's birthday with soda bread, tattle bread and the toffee sweets.  Lovely memory.
VLA

jackiehillis

Re: Ormeau Road Bakery
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 07:55:03 PM »
Hi everyone.  Is the Ormeau Road Bakery still going?  I remember the delicious bread and cakes it sold.  They also did little boxes of crunchy toffee sweets that were to die for.  I remember once when we were making wee cakes at school, our teacher told us to go to the Ormeau Road Bakery shop and take a jar, which they would fill with mock cream for 3d, to put on our cakes.  Anyone else remember doing that?  When we left to live in England, my Granny used to send us a box on my Dad's birthday with soda bread, tattle bread and the toffee sweets.  Lovely memory.
VLA
                                           http://www.ormobakery.co.uk/                                          https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/archive/ormo-wants-you-to-venture-down-memory-lane-28660666.html
"Don't walk in front of me" "I  don't want you to lead " " Don't walk behind me" "I don't want you to follow" " Walk beside me and be my friend "

VLA

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 09:23:29 AM »
Thank you Jackiehillis.  I have sent a note to OrmoJack.
VLA

jackiehillis

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 05:31:13 PM »
Thank you Jackiehillis.  I have sent a note to OrmoJack.
VLA
                                                      O0
"Don't walk in front of me" "I  don't want you to lead " " Don't walk behind me" "I don't want you to follow" " Walk beside me and be my friend "

gtwilson

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 07:52:45 PM »
Lived near the ormo bakery. Lovely smells from there when baking was going on.Great bread and their oatcakes were beautiful, warmed in the oven and spread with butter or cheese.

Ann Karas

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 08:07:13 PM »
My sis had a Saturday job there in the early '70s - remember her bringing home a box of cream cakes or two, and the windows of the warm bakery shop running with cozy condensation !ate on a Saturday afternoon when we'd pick her up.