Author Topic: Harland and Wolff workers  (Read 3818 times)

Number26

Harland and Wolff workers
« on: August 04, 2018, 03:19:31 PM »
are there any past yard workers on this site.

Number26

The yard
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 03:25:03 PM »
are there any yard men on this.past or present.

Strath_Roy

Re: The yard
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 05:01:37 PM »
1950-58. Patternmaker. #74
The world suffers a lot.
Not because of bad people.
But because of the silence of good people.
Napoleon

James James

Re: Harland and Wolff workers
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 05:20:51 PM »
are there any past yard workers on this site.
Try the starter of this thread,... he posts quite a lot of shipyard and ship related material.

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;u=20814

Number26

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 05:52:24 PM »
Hi strath Roy,that was a while ago.i was there from 81-2000.break your heart to see it now.

macroyal

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 10:30:53 AM »
Hi strath Roy,that was a while ago.i was there from 81-2000.break your heart to see it now.
DONE MY APPRENTICESHIP THERE. WE ARE ALL ON FACEBOOK.. THE SHIPYARD.

JackM

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 12:04:28 PM »
Sorry Number 26, for some unknown reason I cannot reply to your Personal Message. In answer to your question, I never worked at Harland & Wolff (much to my Fathers dismay) My Father however worked in H & W for 53 years before finally retiring in 1976. He loved every minute of his time there. Such great camaraderie and such wonderful men, he would often tell me. He started in the Yard as a humble messenger boy in 1923 and worked his way up to one of their Senior Design Draughtsman. He worked on all the great ships up to 1976. I however, attended many launches from 1947 to 1976. Great times and wonderful memories.  :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.

JackM

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 12:11:59 PM »

Here is a wee bit of nostalgia for Yard men.  The M.V. `Foylebank` of 1955   :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.

JackM

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 12:14:33 PM »

M.V. `Foylebank` built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for the Bank Line (Andrew Weir & Sons Ltd)   :)

JackM

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 12:12:01 PM »

Here is another wee bit of nostalgia. The M.V. `Foylebank` is still to be launched whilst to the right, the hull of the recently launched  S.S.`Port Melbourne` is tied up in this view from 1955. Remarkably although the Port Melbourne was refitted and re-engined as a cruise liner, she still had her original hull when she went to the breakers yard in 2015, after an amazing 60 years afloat. True testament to the yard men who built her.   :)

JackM

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 12:13:26 PM »

Harland & Wolff, in 1955.   :)

richard mccann

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 03:24:23 AM »
jackm - From where i lived at Ballymacarrett Halt I could see the ships being built and rising up in the slips. The last ship I seen being built was the Canberra she was launched  after I left for Australia in 1961 . I remember she came out to Australia on her maiden voyage I was in Sydney at that time and I went to see  her . I thought she was a magnificent ship and I have got to say I felt a surge of pride for the men who had built her. I know she was scrapped a few years ago what a shame.My dad was a rivetter in the shipyard for a long time before he became too old and they had him tack welding before he retired. As a kid I remember the hundreds of men who walked up our street before going to the Yard . Great to see your photos Jack. Rmc

jjmack

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 05:46:58 AM »

Here is another wee bit of nostalgia. The M.V. `Foylebank` is still to be launched whilst to the right, the hull of the recently launched  S.S.`Port Melbourne` is tied up in this view from 1955. Remarkably although the Port Melbourne was refitted and re-engined as a cruise liner, she still had her original hull when she went to the breakers yard in 2015, after an amazing 60 years afloat. True testament to the yard men who built her.   :)

Great photo jack, captures the essence of shipbuilding, in an era when Governments fully supported such activities.  ::)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

jjmack

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 05:53:12 AM »

M.V. `Foylebank` built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for the Bank Line (Andrew Weir & Sons Ltd)   :)

Like most of the ships built by Harland & Wolff, ships lasted a long time. M.V. 'Foylebank' lasted 34 years before being scrapped.  :)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

Locksley

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 12:16:52 PM »
Worked in the Yard from Dec57 until made redundant 2000. Went down to drawing office as it is called for a meal recently and couldn't believe the change on QueensRoad