Author Topic: Harland and Wolff workers  (Read 3763 times)

Number26

Re: The yard
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2018, 12:58:39 PM »
Yea locksley certainly changed a great deal.didnt take long to knock down all the fab shops etc.but the memories and friendships will always be with us.

Number26

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2018, 01:07:19 PM »
Yes jjmack,it’s almost a crime now to back big industries.just hope that John Parker’s I put will help the yard secure some off the up coming m.o.d work.it would be good to see ships coming back out of their again

jjmack

Re: Harland and Wolff workers
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2018, 05:21:56 AM »

M.V. `St. Anselm` built by Harland & Wolff in 1980 for Sealink British Ferries.  :)

Amazing these ferries, considering their non stop schedules are still running.  I read somewhere that a Bulk Carrier built by Harland & Wolff in 1970, is still in service. Truly amazing.  :)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

Daveyd

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 04:17:56 AM »
are there any past yard workers on this site.

To answer your question, yes quite a few. I served my time there, 1962 to 1969.
Daveyd

Number26

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2018, 03:02:13 PM »
Daveyd,did you stay on in the yard after doing your time?

Number26

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2018, 03:06:05 PM »
Quality all the time,an Lloyd’s inspector told me that owners paid for minis and got rolls Royce’s.

jjmack

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2018, 08:07:26 PM »
Quality all the time,an Lloyd’s inspector told me that owners paid for minis and got rolls Royce’s.

Yes Harland & Wolff did build very good quality ships. Hence so many lasting a very, very long time.  :)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

JackM

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2018, 01:44:59 PM »
   :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.

Daveyd

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2018, 06:02:10 PM »
Daveyd,did you stay on in the yard after doing your time?
No I didn't I always had the urge to travel so I joined the M.N. The day after I finished my apprenticeship I went on stand-by to join a Bank Line ship in London. After a couple of years at sea I moved to Canada. Still here. Regards,
Daveyd

James James

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2018, 06:27:38 PM »
http://www.theyard.info/men/gallery_index.asp

http://www.theyard.info/misc/bc.asp

I remember a relative who used to work there, telling me about the bible study classes that some of the workers used to hold on the ships under construction in their lunch breaks.

He said that one group might be doing bible study whilst another group was holding a card school.

macroyal

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2018, 12:16:40 AM »
I TOO WANTED TO TRAVEL WHEN I FINISHED MY APPRENTICESHIP IN THE YARD, I REGISTERED TO GO TO CANADA ,I EVEN HAD A  HIGH RANKING CIVIL SERVANT IN CANADA AS A SPONSOR, BUT I WAS TURNED DOWN AS AN UNDESIRABLE , YET I HAD NEVER A CHARGE FOR ANY REASON STICK AGAINST ME, THINK I SHOULD HAVE EARNED THE NAME TEFLON BACK THEN, ALTHOUGH EVERY THING I DONE WAS JUST HIGH JINX AND FUN, SOME TOFFS JUST CANT SEE THE FUNNY SIDE OF LIFE.

JackM

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2018, 11:57:12 AM »
   :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.

James James

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2018, 12:28:57 AM »
24 minute documentary.      https://endlessvideo.com/watch?v=7NEEF-27Iek

"The yard .. Harland and Wolff Belfast  1950's, a look at the health and safety  and all the old processes eg welding , joinery , drawing"

William Shaw

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2018, 02:57:59 AM »
I started in the Main Yard  in 1945
at age 14[/color][/font][/size]
as a marker boy.    Started serving  my apprenticeship in the Engine Works Boiler shop when I was almost 17 years old.  Worked in the boiler shop until I left for Canada on Feb 1957.   Lived beside the ropeworks in East Bread Street.  Currently live in Scarborough, Ontario, which is a borough of Toronto.  William Shaw.

Number26

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2018, 09:08:23 PM »
William,good to hear from you.have you been back to the yard in recent years.big changes down there.i served my time as a welder from81-85 then left in 2000.made a lot of life time friends and a lot of good memories.