Author Topic: Harland and Wolff workers  (Read 3764 times)

James James

Re: Harland and Wolff workers
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2018, 08:21:01 AM »
Ship building 1960 and the launch of the Canberra.
https://endlessvideo.com/watch?v=keOnm_qHAmc

machinehead

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2018, 06:19:05 PM »
I worked in H&W from 1974 to 2016.  I saw a massive changes during that time but I'm happy to see the company surviving.

Number26

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2018, 08:08:31 PM »
Yes machine head itís good to see itís still getting work,donít think we will ever see it doing new builds again,but as long as itís employing people and maybe get some of the m.o.d.work

JackM

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2018, 01:03:03 PM »

Harland & Wolff, Belfast. I am sure some of you guys worked on this.   :) 
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.

fred g

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2018, 03:06:18 PM »
Served my time as fitter in yard 1962/67 4 months before the end of my apprenticeship I went to sea as engineer many years later became a supplier to H & W .remember ships used to be lined 2 & 3 abreast for repair before building dock was built

macadoo

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2018, 04:58:24 PM »
 I live and am retired in the USA now, but proudly framed on the wall in our sitting room is the first page of my dad's indenture papers for the shipyard. Dated Sept. 1936 when he was still a teenager. The young men had to sign their life away for five years. His first year,s pay was six shillings a week!

jillyfred

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2018, 05:04:07 PM »
I live and am retired in the USA now, but proudly framed on the wall in our sitting room is the first page of my dad's indenture papers for the shipyard. Dated Sept. 1936 when he was still a teenager. The young men had to sign their life away for five years. His first year,s pay was six shillings a week!

==
Welcome to the Forum.Thank you macadoo for sharing that.
A wonderful piece of your Family History.

jilly
 :)

jillyfred

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2018, 05:06:26 PM »

Harland & Wolff, Belfast. I am sure some of you guys worked on this.   :)

==
Terrific photograph JackM.

jilly

jillyfred

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2018, 05:08:42 PM »
Served my time as fitter in yard 1962/67 4 months before the end of my apprenticeship I went to sea as engineer many years later became a supplier to H & W .remember ships used to be lined 2 & 3 abreast for repair before building dock was built

===
Interesting post fred g.
Thank you for sharing your memories.

jilly

macadoo

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2018, 05:55:48 PM »
Thanks jillyfred! My dad was from Avon st. and actually his four brothers all worked at H&W, as did his father, and my mum's dad. I suppose had we stayed in Belfast I probably would have ended up there as well.

jillyfred

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2018, 07:15:56 PM »

I am sure its lovely in Indiana Macadoo.
I always enjoyed being in USA.
Great food!

jilly
 :D

Donovan

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2018, 04:34:38 PM »
served apprenticeship in Harland's 1955/1960. Remember the big apprentice strike 1960.Was in the electrical trade.

Paige

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2018, 09:32:47 AM »
I have my fathers indenture papers dated 30 September 1907. He had to pay 2 pounds which would be returned if he served his apprenticeship  faithfully and to their satisfaction in every respect otherwise it would be forfeited. I t is signed by a J Beck complete with a one penny stamp. He continued  working in the yard till 1947 when he passed away. I was 11 years old then and have lots of memories of running to meet him every night getting off the bus with lots of other workers.

Regards Paige                                             

jjmack

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2018, 10:51:22 AM »
I have my fathers indenture papers dated 30 September 1907. He had to pay 2 pounds which would be returned if he served his apprenticeship  faithfully and to their satisfaction in every respect otherwise it would be forfeited. I t is signed by a J Beck complete with a one penny stamp. He continued  working in the yard till 1947 when he passed away. I was 11 years old then and have lots of memories of running to meet him every night getting off the bus with lots of other workers.

Regards Paige                                             

Wonderful memories for you, I'm sure. Thanks for sharing.  :)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

JackM

« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2018, 12:49:20 PM »
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.