Author Topic: Glengormley  (Read 158025 times)

deke

Re: Glengormley
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 07:23:54 PM »
Great photos Wilco      any more of Rathcoole, used to date a girl from there, the Alpha brings back memories
 O0
I used to be indecisive.   Now I'm not so sure.

pentio

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 10:34:29 PM »
Wilco

Great photos, thanks for sharing them. I would be interested in seeing any others you may have. O0

Jeannie

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 12:18:43 AM »
Loved the photos Wilco, worked in Glengormley for many years and lived in Rathcoole for a few.  Wasnt there a chip shop of sorts at the bottom of the Carnmoney Road LHS coming down called 'Greasy Joes' or something?   Remember the Alpha well- especially the Saturday matinees.
Thanks for sharing these with us all. O0

Wilco

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 01:09:33 AM »
Jeannie ,
Yes , we called the chippy "Greasy Joes "..it's still there. When I was a nipper at primary school I used to go in for a pastie..they had a jukebox !
Opposite it was a bookies at the back of the Glen inn.

Wilco

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 01:12:12 AM »
Deke ,
Sorry , this is the only pic I have of Rathcoole.

Jeannie

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2008, 01:16:33 AM »
Wilco - if I remember rightly 'Greasy Joes' fish and chips werent bad at all.  I remember the jukebox too.  Haven't been in Glengormley for years, altho dont live too far away from it.

Wilco

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 01:17:48 PM »

Shore road where TKMAX used to stand.

Wilco

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 03:06:03 PM »
Jeannie ,
If you remember the juke box in Greasy Joes then we must be from the same era.
You'll recall Binghams clothing shop , McMillans paper shop , Brennans sweet shop alongside which stood Rolstons Boot menders..on down the street Suttons sweet shop.
Doctor Gray's surgery on the corner of the Hightown road.
I even remember going to Carnmoney picture house..must have been very early 60's..it stood at the top of the Carnmoney road just past the church in Carnmoney  on the LHS...think it may have been an old British Legion hall.
We had it all didn't we ?..chip shop , sweetie shops , room to move.

The Red Hand Inn on the Ballyclare road ( Paddy Grews ) and Gallaghers shop almost opposite.
Such times !

giannineo

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 04:36:50 PM »
Wilco, Jeannie was the best looking gal in Glengormley if not County Antrim...still is...

teap

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 04:37:24 PM »
Wilco, Jeannie was the best looking gal in Glengormley if not County Antrim...still is...

excuse moi?  ???

giannineo

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 04:48:48 PM »
ooops, do you live in Co. Antrim Coley...errrr, mmmmm, I mean the more northerly part of Co. Antrim for my lovely friend Jean and not the westerly part where you are the undisputed adorable ,gorgeous , scrumptious loveliest of them all  [

Jeannie

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 06:40:33 PM »
Wilco
Yep remember some of those mentioned but not the cinema in the legion, so think you might be a tad older than me!! Do remember the British Legion Hall tho - my dad ran discos in there in the early 70's before moving them down into the Pavilion in Mossley.

g Thank you kind Sir,  :-[ best looking and with the best legs, you have cheered me up no end, O0 compliment accepted and duly noted, hang onto that memory g. 

Wilco

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2008, 01:54:12 PM »
Jeannie ( best legs ),
It would have been early 60's when they showed pics in Carnmoney.  I probably am older than you 'cause my legs are a sight now ! I would have been about 12 or 13.
Do you mean the legion hall in Glengormley ?

Jeannie

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2008, 12:18:03 AM »
Jeannie ( best legs ),

Do you mean the legion hall in Glengormley ?

No the Legion Hall in Carnmoney, the one you mentioned, just past Carnmoney Pres on LHS.
Great photo of Abbots Cross, lived quite close to there and have many great memories of there and Cloughfern Corner.   Do u remember Hillis's Chip Shop, near John Gordons Garage?
U wouldnt happen to have a photo of the old Abbots Cross Primary would you? :)

giannineo

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2008, 07:29:25 AM »
Wilco, Whitehouse Town Hall is so like a big house I worked at called Abbeydene which was a  Care Home in the 70's...it was on the right of the main Shore Road going towards Whiteabbey from Belfast....Jean, my sis is in the local history group at Newtownabbey and they do walks around the area...she told me all about the monks at Abbot's Cross etc. .and Mossley Mill  etc, etc.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy