Author Topic: Glengormley  (Read 119376 times)

david7744

Re: Glengormley
« Reply #270 on: June 27, 2015, 06:00:11 AM »
My sister lives near Helen and Alan's and has shopped there for 37 years. Another small but important part of the community gone. :(
        do u remember abernethys grocery shop and the post office.....all in the 1 shop.....do u remember lizzie jackson.....her house was where helen and alan are now.....1962

ouldoll

« Reply #271 on: June 27, 2015, 08:52:43 AM »
No.Sorry. We didn't move to Glengormley till 1963 and my sister and her husband bought a house in Carnmoney in 1978.

rocker53zero

« Reply #272 on: July 05, 2015, 07:53:55 AM »
Re the photo of Sadie Lee's shop , does anyone remember she used to ride a motorbike ?

I lived on the Antrim Road, just where the traffic lights are now for Tesco, and left in 1969.
I moved to England, but now returned and living in Islandmagee.
I attended Glengormley Primary School and Dunlambert.
I am looking to make contact with people I might know, Cardwell, Horner, Kitchen, Cheadle, Calderwood.
Had some great times.
You must have lived very close to The McAlindens at 441 Antrim Road.   McCracken lived at 443 and Noel Crymble at 445
I lived on the Antrim Road, just where the traffic lights are now for Tesco, and left in 1969.
I moved to England, but now returned and living in Islandmagee.
I attended Glengormley Primary School and Dunlambert.
I am looking to make contact with people I might know, Cardwell, Horner, Kitchen, Cheadle, Calderwood.
Had some great times.

Zorski

« Reply #273 on: February 06, 2016, 04:27:02 AM »
They blew the shops up in  the summer of 74 school was closed for the summer so it must have been July/August.,(West Germany won the world cup v Holland)after the bombs auld "DA" Doyle sold the papers and fegs from his car parked outside the shop...lol..Pat Doyle was my brothers best man and they are still very close mates.

Zorski

« Reply #274 on: February 06, 2016, 04:30:11 AM »
I grew up in Elmfield Linda Connolly and my brother Frankie he fell through Doyle's roof my dad had to pay for a new roof happy days.

Dom0777

hi
just joined this forum i grew up in glengormley from 1982-1995 and left it when i was 16 .here are some of my memories off the town
i remember walker and ramseys toy shop across from the village inn
i remember hillview stores and ann who used to work there ,a black haired woman with glasses,i used to leave coke bottles in there and get 10p per bottle! and the owner was a wee man with glasses then it was owened by a fella called mr copeland
i remember doing a paper round for doyles shop in elmfield  and on winter evenings [censored]*ing myself as my last delivery was near the old church on church rd
does anyone remember trevors barbers on the hightown rd and the old taxi depot(which was rumoured to be haunted)
i remember freds shop on the glebe road he used to sell fresh veg etc
i remember after school having a sneaky smoke in laundry lane (round the back of the movie house)
and getting my ciggies in the skyline garage beside the police station
saturday mornings at the tenpin bowling club in the sportsbowl and quaser/lazer quest
looking for conkers outside the libary on the carnmoney road it had a big conker tree outside it
does anyone remeber the old row of terrence houses across from the peter byrne i used to be minded in one of them they were knocked down
friday night fish and chips in the caviler chip shop in portland ave
the old farmley center and a fishing and tackle shop were we bought catapults out off (no questions asked!!)

MAUREENF

« Reply #276 on: December 12, 2016, 02:14:47 PM »
I used to work in the Doyle's store and for the McCoubreys in Glengormley.

Oreo

« Reply #277 on: March 30, 2017, 11:26:27 PM »
Lovely to read about memories when I was a child. I lived in Queen's Park and remember well going to ted gallaghers and the red hand was the pub my dad went to. I also went to both primary schools.

Roadracer

« Reply #278 on: April 19, 2017, 05:35:43 AM »

macroyal

« Reply #279 on: April 23, 2017, 08:05:42 PM »
in a moment of clarity i remembered, i seen a girl  who was very pretty, this was about 45 years ago, i talked to her about 3 times just in passing, and my mind is bringing up the name Margaret Robinson, what a strange thing the mind is to bring this memory up, she must have made a great impression on my mind ,to come up after so long, did she exist , or have i really lost the plot.

alex.ferguson

« Reply #280 on: August 09, 2018, 07:52:06 PM »
GAFA

old wallion

« Reply #281 on: August 09, 2018, 10:19:19 PM »
in a moment of clarity i remembered, i seen a girl  who was very pretty, this was about 45 years ago, i talked to her about 3 times just in passing, and my mind is bringing up the name Margaret Robinson, what a strange thing the mind is to bring this memory up, she must have made a great impression on my mind ,to come up after so long, did she exist , or have i really lost the plot.
Your memory is fine McRoyal, I remember a Margaret Robinson who hung out in Glengormley around 1972/73 with another pretty girl called Sheena McCrea. Regards OW

macroyal

« Reply #282 on: August 09, 2018, 11:02:04 PM »
CHEERS FOR THAT O.W.  FOR SOME STRANGE REASON WHICH I CANT RECALL NOW BUT FROM READING SOME OF YOUR POSTS A WHILE AGO, I THINK WE  KNOW EACH OTHER. KEITH.

old wallion

« Reply #283 on: August 11, 2018, 09:09:56 PM »

Hi MacRoyal
The girls lived in Doagh, I had a few dates with Sheena but missed the last green bus back to Glengormley most nights that I had to give her up. lol

macroyal

« Reply #284 on: August 12, 2018, 10:45:25 AM »
HAD SIMILAR EXPERIENCE O.W. THE THINGS WE DO FOR LOVE OR LUST.LOL. LAST SEEN MY OLD SCHOOLMATE AT THE GARAGE IN GLENGORMLEY, LAWRENCE WILLIAMSON, I WORKED A SHORT TIME IN GLENGORMLEY AT INDUSTRIAL DESIGN  MANUFACTURE LTD ON THE BALLYCLARE ROAD, AND USED TO MEET MATES FOR A BEER IN THE BELEVUE INN