Author Topic: Glengormley  (Read 158026 times)

Wilco

Re: Glengormley
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2008, 01:33:03 PM »
Jeannie ,
Sorry , that's the only pic I have of Abbots Cross.
I remember the chip shop beside Gordons but didn't remember the name.
I used to play snooker every Wednesday night in the Cloughfern Arms..they had 27 tables upstairs..this was the heyday of the seventies. Even STC at Monkstown is gone now.

Wilco

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2008, 01:40:45 PM »
giannineo ,
It's probably the same place. Going back to the townhall..the caretaker was called Jim Taylor and he only had one arm. I used to ride down there on my bike when I was about 11...an epic journey from Glengormley..down the Church road then the old Irish Highway..and it was uphill on the way back.
I was young and foolish.

Wilco

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2008, 01:46:32 PM »
giannineo ,
That townhall was in Hazelbank.

Jeannie

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2008, 02:51:16 PM »
Wilco, Whitehouse Town Hall is so like a big house I worked at called Abbeydene which was a  Care Home in the 70's...it was on the right of the main Shore Road going towards Whiteabbey from Belfast....Jean, my sis is in the local history group at Newtownabbey and they do walks around the area...she told me all about the monks at Abbot's Cross etc. .and Mossley Mill  etc, etc.

G - they are not the same place, the Town Hall was in Hazelbank.  Not sure if Abbeydene is still there, must have a wee nosey next time I am passed, u cant see it from the road.  I learned all about the Monks etc when I did a project for the GB with the girls for their badge work, really enjoyed it.  Didnt live too far from Mossley Mill at one time and my dad had a shop there for years and mum one at Woodford.

Jeannie

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2008, 03:02:02 PM »
giannineo ,
...an epic journey from Glengormley..down the Church road then the old Irish Highway..and it was uphill on the way back.
I was young and foolish.

Think I cycled further than that Wilco - Doagh Road Newtownabbey to Ballyclare and back.  Loved every bit of it, started when I was about 10 right up until my Granny died when I was 15.  Remember also cominghome from school with material for a school dress and getting on my bike and cycling to Ballyclare so Granny could make it.  Cycled every Saturday to Monkstown from the Doagh Road  to Davy Hills the butcher for meat for the Sunday dinner, then on to my other Grannys for a big fry and then home again.     Young and foolish - No.  Those really were the days eh O0

giannineo

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2008, 03:14:51 PM »
Jean, the Nurse from Greenisland was no match for you ::)....what about this then??????1966, I rode my push bike from Ballynafeigh to the bottom of Hillhead Road( and back again) , Ballyclare to see a girl I met on holiday at Carnlough  ::)

Jeannie

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2008, 03:28:57 PM »
Jean, the Nurse from Greenisland was no match for you ::)....quote]
u really do know how to treat a girl dont you?  U r now back in my good books. :P
[quote
what about this then??????1966, I rode my push bike from Ballynafeigh to the bottom of Hillhead Road( and back again) , Ballyclare to see a girl I met on holiday at Carnlough  ::)
but did you go via Ballyrobert or the Hillhead Road? bit of a difference there - no hills worth talking about via Ballyrobert - that is the way we went.  Sure when you are 16 and in love you would have done anything? O0

giannineo

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2008, 03:49:32 PM »
Hillhead Road....going down to Ballyclare was wicked ....going back up  .aaaaagh.....her name was Pat Lorimer  ::)

Jeannie

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2008, 05:27:03 PM »
Patricia Lorimer??  Hillhead road no way I would tackle that down or up.  Dont even like driving on that road.

giannineo

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2008, 05:58:32 PM »
Jean, she lived right at the bottom of Hillhead Road opposite the bus station and was in the Girls' Brigade with the Swinertons and Barbara Barr from Ballynure...did you know any of them???????

Jeannie

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2008, 06:21:56 PM »
The names rings a bell as does Barbara Barr and I think it was Ballynure GB they went to but that is as far as the ole memory goes. ::) Wish I had your memory O0

giannineo

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
Jean, Beulah Swinerton's folks had a shop in Ballyclare.

Jeannie

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2008, 10:05:50 PM »
Yep thats right I remember Swinertons shop, they were good friends with my Granny who also had a shop in Ballyclare at one time.

giannineo

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2008, 10:18:41 PM »
In 1966 I thought Ballyclare was the centre of the universe..I worked at the Health Centre there at times....second best clerkess to you was Miss Carmichael at Whitehead Health Centre.
   oops, off thread, my nephew lives in Glengormley and still plays hockey for Mossley...lives off Beverly and near my sis(his mum) at Ravelston...a windy and cold place .

Wilco

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2008, 12:11:38 PM »
Folks , we seem to have moved a bit further from Belfast. I still have kinfolk in Ballyclare and spent a lot of time there in days of yore. Here are a couple of snaps that will amuse you -

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy