Author Topic: Glengormley  (Read 130687 times)

Wilco

Re: Glengormley
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2008, 02:30:58 PM »
giannineo ,
Centre of the universe..Ballyclare !!..I can see you now..a few pre evening snorts at the Grange..afterwards turning a heel at the Carrera dancehall followed by cocktails at the Comrades Club...then one of Mahoods taxis home. ;)

Christopher

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2008, 06:56:30 PM »
ooops, do you live in Co. Antrim Coley...errrr, mmmmm, I mean the more northerly part of Co. Antrim for my lovely friend Jean and not the westerly part where you are the undisputed adorable ,gorgeous , scrumptious loveliest of them all  [

Duck g, Colette will be clobbering you with the frying pan 8)

giannineo

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2008, 08:12:44 PM »
Wico, you know me so well,and a Killinchy muffler round the back of the bus station...Christopher , I have grovelled to Colette...Coley is the fairest colleen of them all in North West Antrim, and Jeannie in greater Netwonabbey /Carrick part of Antrim...trying not to dig myself in deeper :-[

Jeannie

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2008, 11:00:38 PM »
Folks , we seem to have moved a bit further from Belfast. I still have kinfolk in Ballyclare and spent a lot of time there in days of yore. Here are a couple of snaps that will amuse you -

Great photos. O0

Did you go to the Mayfair every year Wilco?  Do you remember the Wednesday after fair day was the free ride day for the school children in the Ballyclare Schools, everyone got at least four free tickets for the rides, my cousin would get extra tickets for me. All part of my growing up, wonderful memories. :) 

Wilco

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2008, 02:33:55 PM »
Jeannie ,
Went to the fair when I could..usually got the bus there , ran out of money and thumbed it back to Glengormley. No free tickets for me I'm afraid.I went to school in the big city. Ballyclare was a bustling place in those days..I had a grandmother there and lots of cousins / aunts / uncles and when I was lucky..a girlfriend.
It's a nightmare now..the main street is always blocked with traffic...too many people..too little developement.

Jeannie

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2008, 05:15:02 PM »
yep u r right there Wilco - Ballyclare definitely is not what it used to be, but then where is?  I have friends who live in the Rashee Road and they say it is a nightmare in the morning and evening trying to get thro the town. Never go to the fair myself nowadays.  Things aint what they used to be. :(

Wilco

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2008, 12:10:43 AM »

Glengormley village 1989

Wilco

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2008, 12:11:24 AM »

Glengormley shops 1989

Wilco

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2008, 12:12:21 AM »

Glengormley Pres. church and Cartmills. 1989

Wilco

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2008, 12:13:20 AM »

Hillview stores Carnmoney road..gone now as well!

Wilco

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2008, 12:14:57 AM »

Carnmoney 1989.

Mkay

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2008, 06:55:17 AM »
A sweetie shop (name forgotten) in the little row between Macmillans and the Glen inn and sharing a doorway with a barbers. Early sixties?
Also a blacksmiths further down between the trolley terminus and Cartmills. Down an alley behind what became a greengrocers. Got our gate repaired there early sixties?
Dentists across the Antrim road from the Glen inn. Upstairs above the bank. Smell of rubber and gas. Multiple extractions. Levines maybe?
I went to Glengormley primary school from '58 to '65. Headmaster "Mac". Mrs Cook?
The photos are fantastic.
Sid

Wilco

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2008, 12:25:37 PM »
Mkay,
I went to Glengormley primary school as well..slightly earlier than you. The sweetie shop was called Suttons..I remember the barbers and think later on it was a dentist ( Sweeney Todd  ;D ).
Was the blacksmith called Smith ?
Beside McMillans paper shop there was Brennans sweet shop and Rolston's boot repairers.
I remember Mrs. Cook , Mrs Wallace..the headmaster was Mr.Brown when I was there.
Greasy Joes chippy at the bottom of the Carnmoney road..and not forgetting Sadie Lee's wee shop.

Wilco

« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2008, 12:08:03 AM »

You can see the clock on Binghams shop clearly.

Wilco

« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2008, 12:09:23 AM »

Another shot from the late 80's..this time from the Antrim line -