Author Topic: Glengormley  (Read 119374 times)

Nicola Penman

Re: Glengormley
« Reply #225 on: July 29, 2012, 12:02:31 AM »
Hi Hcoid, Brennans sweetie shop i have been trying to remember the name for years.
And do you remember Cartmills man shop next door to McMillens and my dentist was above as well as a jewellers. And not forgetting the gift shop at the bus terminus with the identical twins who worked there. :) Regards OW. :)Oh and welcome to the forum ;)

Nicola Penman

« Reply #226 on: July 29, 2012, 12:05:10 AM »
Hi folks
A great big hello from Kim and Nicola Friel.  We are still alive and kicking. Fond memories of Glengormley and the fun we had in The Gift Shop!  I would love to know how old friends are doing. Nicola xxxooo

JimIGS

« Reply #227 on: July 29, 2012, 04:09:19 AM »
Cossie, I did a paper round for Mrs and Mrs Shepherd in the late 60s & early 70s. I did part of Swanston, for 12 shillings a week. When my sister gave up her round, I took it on as well, so I was doing Swanston and out along the Antrim Road past the roundabout. My pay went up to 24 shillings a week. After a couple of weeks, the customers were complaining about getting their papers too late, so the Shepherds cut down my round, but still paid me 24 shillings. When we left for Australia at the end of 1971, Mr Shepherd gave me a pound. They were really nice people. I heard that they sold the shop and moved to Scotland.

Walker and Ramsay's was where I got my first Airfix soldiers - one packet of Union and one packet of Confederates - for my birthday (aged 10, I think). Any time I had money, I'd go there to buy an Airfix model.

Did you ever go to Mrs Burney's shop?
stiofan
I just came across your posting in the Glengormley thread and my very old brain kicked into gear when I saw the name Shepherd. I have been trying to put together a Family Tree for the past year or more but have not had any connecton with John Shepherd since the late 1950's, he lived with his mother Jean (she worked as housekeeper for doctor Gray at the bottom of the Hightown Road). Would this be the same Shepherd family, your help might help me get in touch?
JimIGS
It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

hcoid

« Reply #228 on: August 01, 2012, 10:59:26 AM »
Hi Nicola long time no see!!! Great to hear you and your sister are doing well. I remember a John Shepherd in Glengormley he was a bit older than me!

Lilyrose

« Reply #229 on: August 01, 2012, 12:28:14 PM »
Hi folks
A great big hello from Kim and Nicola Friel.  We are still alive and kicking. Fond memories of Glengormley and the fun we had in The Gift Shop!  I would love to know how old friends are doing. Nicola xxxooo

My mother loved your shop.I don't know if you would remember her, Mrs Thompson or Lily!
DILLIGAF!

Newgent_for_life

« Reply #230 on: August 23, 2012, 07:54:10 AM »
Wilco, Jeannie was the best looking gal in Glengormley if not County Antrim...still is...
Hey, I lived in Moreland Avenue from 1942 to 1970 (apart from 5 years military service in England). I attended Glengormley Primary School then Belfast Royal Academy.
Hal McMaster, happy days.

RSL

« Reply #231 on: August 23, 2012, 10:03:22 AM »
My Uncle William Graham had a confectionery shop at the corner of Carnmoney/ Portland Ave  c1930s (now an Estate Agents). He sold it and moved to 909 Crumlin Road. He called it "The Cobweb" after a shop of that name somewhere near where the Nationwide BS is today (in Glengormley). Rab Williamson who died a short time ago was able to tell me about the shop and family who lived in St Quentin Park at the time.

Hi Slohaw,I remember your Uncle's shop on Crumlin Rd.We called it "Billy Cobweb's"It was near "Hamilton's
Chemist and just past the Ligoniel Rd.turn off.Do you have any photographs of the shop or area?

David Hill

« Reply #232 on: August 27, 2012, 07:23:27 AM »
Hello, my name is David Hill.  My father's family used to live at "Seaforde", 10 Carnmoney Road, Glengormley.  My uncle, Alexander Hill, was the local tailor and postman.  His father, my grandfather, died in 1940 and was also the tailor. 

Initially, it would be great to hear from anyone who remembers the family in general.  In particular any old photos of my uncle(s) or Bob Hill, my father.

BTW, I am still in touch with, and know very well, the son of the late Mr & Mrs Sutton who had the sweet shop. 

old wallion

« Reply #233 on: August 27, 2012, 05:15:07 PM »
Suttons shop is where i agreed to meet my future wife on our first date back in 1975.
And we are still a team. lol ;)
I remember the cigarette machine at the front of the shop. :)

m.

« Reply #234 on: August 29, 2012, 01:11:04 AM »
Old Wallion,
can you pick your fathers brains and ask him does he remember Wellingtons living in Glengormly?

m.

old wallion

« Reply #235 on: September 08, 2012, 08:35:30 PM »
Old Wallion,
can you pick your fathers brains and ask him does he remember Wellingtons living in Glengormly?

m.
Hi there M, my Dad doesnt recall anyone with that name  from Whitewell or Glengormley.

m.

« Reply #236 on: September 08, 2012, 09:47:48 PM »
Thanks OW.
Hessie McKernon married Henry Wellington.
He is buried in Our Lady's Acre, but no mention of her.
Hope you and your da are keeping well

m.

Roadracer

« Reply #237 on: November 30, 2012, 10:32:10 AM »

Carnmoney 1989.
Helen's & Alan's Shop was close to here closed this week after 44 years.

cossie5252

« Reply #238 on: November 30, 2012, 06:04:14 PM »
remember it well after working at Malcolm Pedlow Motors across the road from the shop

Woodboy

« Reply #239 on: December 01, 2012, 06:40:15 PM »
I grew up in Glengormley in the sixties and seventies.  I have a fond memory of saving up my pennies and thrupennies to spend in Sadie Lees.  I dont think they could cope with the "New Money.  :)