Author Topic: The great George - one of his greatest TV interviews  (Read 6105 times)

belle

Re: The great George - one of his greatest TV interviews
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 06:49:54 PM »
I prefer to remember George for the amazing sportsman he was rather than concentrate on his sad private life . he was a raging alcoholic who was given a second chance but sadly could not leave the booze alone. i believe he was   a decent man with a problem ,an addiction.. who am i to judge anyone we are all entitled to our opinions in this free world  but honestly there are many people with addictions out there who hurt others through their actions unintentionally .  I know one in my own Family years ago . George  was a popular /talented person and his own worst enemy .  He had  the interview shows a great sense of humour and irony.  RIP George you lived your life your way.
Well said. God rest him.
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

jjmack

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 08:35:41 PM »
I prefer to remember George for the amazing sportsman he was rather than concentrate on his sad private life . he was a raging alcoholic who was given a second chance but sadly could not leave the booze alone. i believe he was   a decent man with a problem ,an addiction.. who am i to judge anyone we are all entitled to our opinions in this free world  but honestly there are many people with addictions out there who hurt others through their actions unintentionally .  I know one in my own Family years ago . George  was a popular /talented person and his own worst enemy .  He had  the interview shows a great sense of humour and irony.  RIP George you lived your life your way.

Hear hear, well said. Words of wisdom as usual. :)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

Number26

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2018, 08:16:11 AM »
To many want to knock people from our wee country that make it in the world,we should be backing them to the hilt and remembering the good times they gave us.

FLYINGBOLT

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2018, 03:31:56 PM »
I am fortunate enough and old enough to have seen George play a few times when he was in his prime in the late sixties and I would say that the comments made by misssmyth1  were a fair reflection of his chaotic life.
Politicians are like a bunch of bananas. .not a straight one among them.

belle

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2018, 05:04:37 PM »
George had an illness. I don't think for one second he was a bad man.
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

James James

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2018, 06:28:42 PM »
"The scout who had spotted his talent at the age of 15 sent a telegram to manager Matt Busby which read..."

"I think I've found you a genius."

43 minute documentary about him,... towards the end of his life,... which is mainly interviews with him,... and he speaks very honestly and openly,... it's very good, if that's the right word.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/EElmSxJdyLA?rel=0&autoplay=1

misssmyth1

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2018, 03:37:56 PM »
Does anyone remember the Michael Parkinson interview where George said  (correct me if I am wrong)

I spent my money on fast Cars Women and Booze   and squandered the rest ... what a wit..

He truly was a genius on the pitch and for all of his faults not many people had a bad word to say about him.  We all make errors while going through life but we live life  our way. 

jillyfred

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2018, 04:05:41 PM »

George Best is a Legend of our Time.
Whatever his personal problems were-can never take that away from him or us.
Its very easy to bring down people like George-but to my mind it says more about those who do so
than George.

jilly

James James

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2018, 06:39:04 PM »
Does anyone remember the Michael Parkinson interview where George said  (correct me if I am wrong)

I spent my money on fast Cars Women and Booze   and squandered the rest ... what a wit..

He truly was a genius on the pitch and for all of his faults not many people had a bad word to say about him.  We all make errors while going through life but we live life  our way.

No they didn't,... and that included people who might have been expected to have had reason to,... such as a certain group of very partisan Scottish football fans,...  :)

https://endlessvideo.com/watch?v=LWo1X-CwwoA

James James

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2018, 06:45:45 PM »
George Best is a Legend of our Time.
Whatever his personal problems were-can never take that away from him or us.
Its very easy to bring down people like George-but to my mind it says more about those who do so than George.

jilly
Absolutely,... and that says everything about him, and a lot about them.

“If I had been born ugly, you would have never heard of Pelé.”

Number26

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2018, 11:56:28 PM »
His legacy is “the best”👏

jjmack

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2018, 05:33:30 AM »
To many want to knock people from our wee country that make it in the world,we should be backing them to the hilt and remembering the good times they gave us.

Hear hear, we should be proud of those from ' our wee country', who have done well.  O0
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

jjmack

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2018, 05:34:49 AM »
George had an illness. I don't think for one second he was a bad man.

No George had an addiction, not an illness. :(

misssmyth1

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2018, 12:56:14 PM »
Although I have not lived in NI since 1970 I am always so happy to hear positive news and praise for anyone and anything from there instead of the sadly usual negativity over many years .

James James

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2018, 04:25:52 PM »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy