Author Topic: The great George - one of his greatest TV interviews  (Read 6106 times)

derdrei

Re: The great George - one of his greatest TV interviews
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2018, 09:00:51 AM »
tours, I'll say it again! Why are you dragging all his faults up?  No one is condoning or turning a blind eye to abuse of any sort i don't get why this is all your focusing on.  ???
You should also remember that he has met his maker and he has been judged.

While not an excuse remember he was a very sick man. God have mercy on his soul.

I for one hope he's found the peace he was looking for in life.
well said belle I hope so to , his mind would  not have been to good with the drink.but that became a sickness he could not stop.RIP.

tours

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2018, 09:20:31 AM »
well said belle I hope so to , his mind would  not have been to good with the drink.but that became a sickness he could not stop.RIP.
Alot of people say this in court. If its not drink its drugs.
Many hoping to get murder charges dropped in favor of manslaughter.
It wasn't me your honor, it was the drink/drugs.

belle

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2018, 12:40:01 PM »
dedrei, i would never condone domestic violence. From a man or woman and it's no excuse but George was really ill. I'm not excusing it but God help him he was sick. The funny thing is he was friends with his exs.  :-*
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

stickleback

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2018, 02:02:00 PM »

I was in awe of Besty as a kid. The poster on the bedroom wall etc. Playing football against a wall on my own or against other kids I dreamt I was Besty. Unfortunately, the only time I saw him play was at his testimonial at Windsor Park, when he ran round the pitch at the end with his infant son on his shoulders. One Callum Best. What a right herbert that lad turned out to be. George was long past his best. When he died I organised a huge wreath on behalf of Manchester United fans, costing a fortune. It was delivered by a guy from Dublin who had never been 'up north' before.

I have mixed feelings about George now. The tragedy lay in the back story. A kid from the streets, he was essentially a homebird. He missed his ma and she missed him. She couldn't cope with the press camped outside her little house and the pressure being put on her son. She took up the drink to cope. When she died ( because of the drink), the die was cast. The only person he truly loved had died because he became successful in a footballing sense. No woman was going to get close to him after that, but cursed by his handsome features women were attracted in their droves, despite his diminutive stature. He took the well-trodden path of the trophy girlfriend ( because no-one was going to measure up to his mother). I very much doubt George was the great lothario he liked to be thought as, on account of his constant bragging of which trophy girlfriend and the three Miss World's he had slept with. That all smacks of deep insecurity.

This is the best George Best video on the net, no pun intended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEXYFYmKKlM

derdrei

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2018, 11:51:30 PM »
dedrei, i would never condone domestic violence. From a man or woman and it's no excuse but George was really ill. I'm not excusing it but God help him he was sick. The funny thing is he was friends with his exs.  :-*
yes belle he was very sick in his right mind he would not have done that. his exs must have known that. :-*

HarryHippo

« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2018, 12:03:30 AM »
Not as many though who have used ' religion '  ;)
Lux Et Veritas.

Number26

« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2018, 08:20:54 AM »
Tours,do you ever use the George best Belfast city airport?

belle

« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2018, 09:58:17 AM »
I don't think you understand the nature of alcoholism.  It's not something you want or something you ask for. I don't think you understand what it does to you mentally and physically.  You will do and say things that go against your very nature and soul.  It takes you over and the worse thing is once it's got you in it's grip it's almost impossible to get rid of it.

Take a breath, tours, and when you say your prayers thank Almighty God you're not in that position and pray for those poor souls who are.

No one is excusing criminal behavior. 
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

vinnym

« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2018, 10:24:38 AM »
I don't think you understand the nature of alcoholism.  It's not something you want or something you ask for. I don't think you understand what it does to you mentally and physically.  You will do and say things that go against your very nature and soul.  It takes you over and the worse thing is once it's got you in it's grip it's almost impossible to get rid of it.

Take a breath, tours, and when you say your prayers thank Almighty God you're not in that position and pray for those poor souls who are.

O0

tours

« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2018, 12:13:22 PM »
Tours,do you ever use the George best Belfast city airport?
Why ?

tours

« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2018, 12:24:51 PM »

Do you think it right, that the City Airport was named after him ?
Do you think the Airport should have put the naming out, for public consultation ?
I will pray for George the next time I am at mass.
My brother in-law was an alcholic, beat his wife and children. He was a proud man who lost his job and turned to the bottle.
It eventually led to his young death. RIP.
Its a disease for sure.
Yet, putting people on pedestals with a history of abuse, leaves us all blind.
Truth must conquer. Their must be consequences for wrong doing.
Otherwise, we set precedents that are wrong, and give nods and winks to future wrong behaviour.
We become culpable ourselves.

James James

« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2018, 12:59:41 PM »
Archbishop Fulton John Sheen,... later the Venerable Fulton John Sheen.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulton_J._Sheen

Sure, the TV presentation style starts out a bit corny,... and it takes a few minutes to get going,... but it does get there.

1968,... "An Alcoholic is not a Pig,... Bishop Fulton.J.Sheen"

https://www.youtube.com/embed/si421xdCfQ0?rel=0&autoplay=1

jillyfred

« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2018, 02:03:30 PM »

===
Well said Belle.

jilly
 :(

James James

« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2018, 05:07:23 PM »
------
This is the best George Best video on the net, no pun intended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEXYFYmKKlM 
Correct, it's a terrific video.

James James

« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2018, 05:08:55 PM »
The most memorable quotes by and about George Best.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/h7hFBS__eNQ

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy