Author Topic: Primark..Fire.  (Read 3955 times)

tours

Primark..Fire.
« on: August 28, 2018, 03:14:41 PM »
Sorry to see this historic building go up in smoke. 😕 I hope they can, at least, save the front of the buliding....😕

https://www.facebook.com/U105NIWireless/videos/2079272255416649/

STINA_SARAKAS

The end of the bank buildings and primark
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 03:23:26 PM »
looks as if its gonna collapse

stranmillis v

Re: The end of the bank buildings and primark
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 06:08:17 PM »
yes sad it was a beautiful building.  :'(
"This society believed it was looking towards a new future, yet we consistently find ourselves being dragged backwards."

Bigot's are ignored by me.

STINA_SARAKAS

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 09:51:17 PM »
yes sad it was a beautiful building.  :'(
could survive, buildings in belfast have survived worse, can they maybe make a memorial park if we demolish it, in dedication to the building! or churchill tower 2.0 pls lol

HarryHippo

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 10:02:53 PM »
could survive, buildings in belfast have survived worse, can they maybe make a memorial park if we demolish it, in dedication to the building! or churchill tower 2.0 pls lol
I hope the building does survive .. if not, then i bet they turn it into a car park .. or worse still, stick a montrosity of a piece of ' Sculpture' up   . I could knock and oul bit of a statue up in my back shed with a few bits of junk better than what ive seen so far and that wont cost the city thousands of pounds )  
Lux Et Veritas

ExBuckfastdrinker

Re: Primark..Fire.
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 12:01:29 AM »
The fire men are still there.

tours

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 12:56:23 AM »
There was 100 new jobs in the pipe line, with the new extension. Now 350 out of a work. 😕
Thoughts and prayers for the staff.
Good to see certain restraunts offering free pints/coffee and food to those trying to save the building. Also the companies offering staff alternative employment.
😊😊😊😊
Belfast humor and all that on social media (re; the fire), rings a little hollow, considering the devastation for some peoples lives. 😕

Aaron_2015

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 02:00:27 AM »
I fear the damage is too great to preserve the front of the building.  Might be cheaper to pull it down.  Shops nearby will have to remain closed and traffic redirected until they can safely confirm the building will not fall down.  To save time and convenience they might just pull it down so that city life can return to business.

Farewell to a wonderful old building
1785 - 2018.

A number of old buildings across the city have been demolished, but sometimes they keep their outer structure preserved, like the old Sports department store on Queen street.  Although I doubt the Primark building's walls will be protected like this:

They would first need to put out the fire and then inspect her structural integrity to see if it was safe to enter and remove the debris.  The weather might play a role, especially as we head into winter.

tours

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 02:16:02 AM »
I fear the damage is too great to preserve the front of the building.  Might be cheaper to pull it down.  Shops nearby will have to remain closed and traffic redirected until they can safely confirm the building will not fall down.  To save time and convenience they might just pull it down so that city life can return to business.

Farewell to a wonderful old building
1785 - 2018.

A number of old buildings across the city have been demolished, but sometimes they keep their outer structure preserved, like the old Sports department store on Queen street.  Although I doubt the Primark building's walls will be protected like this:

They would first need to put out the fire and then inspect her structural integrity to see if it was safe to enter and remove the debris.  The weather might play a role, especially as we head into winter.
Good post. I still hope somewhere, the facade can be kept. If only to try and preserve some of the heritage of the City.
Seems theres no stopping the modern student accomadation purge in the city.
Modern cheap soulless buildings springing up everywhere....😕
A point in being, Dubar Link facing the old "News Boys" building. Also, at the end of King Street, nearly facing the "Black Man" tech. That end of King Street is awful, with the new buildings put up. Ibis Hotel included.
The buck (£) seems to rule....😕
It seem knocking down the old, in order to build higher, for more return (£).

Creaky

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 11:11:33 AM »
If there's enough money available, there's no real reason why it can't be rebuilt.
Love will always  change to sorrow, but everyone must play the game. We're here today and gone tomorrow, but the world goes on the same.

citybloke

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 12:46:29 PM »

It would be a shame if the façade of  this historic building could not be saved.
Let's hope it's not demolished and replaced with a glass and concrete monstrosity.

Aaron_2015

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 09:32:50 PM »
I think preservation might be a foreign word in Belfast.  A few short years ago they knocked down the giant art deco Orpheus building on York Street.  The ballroom and staircase were beautiful.  If such treasures as this are happily demolished to make way for 'progress' then I doubt the ruins of the Primark building will be restored, unless there is a large financial investment in its future.

The Orpheus - Now demolished.

It's replacement is currently under construction.

stickleback

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 10:52:13 PM »

IMO cities look and work best with a mixture of modern and historical buildings. I have a bit of nostalgia for the older buildings. From what I've heard, The shell of The Bank Buildings is intact, so it should be able to be salvaged. If it is saved, I'll be surprised if it returns as a shopping store. It is in a prime location to be a luxury hotel.

Eugene Mc Mullan

Stormont / Primark.
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 01:56:36 PM »
Is Primark moving into the Stormont Building, as on one is using it. The rent would pay for cuting the grass.

jillyfred

Re: Stormont / Primark.
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2018, 02:45:58 PM »

Eugene-its certainly a possibility!!

jilly

:D