Author Topic: The Bank Buildings, Castle Place  (Read 907 times)

peaceangel

The Bank Buildings, Castle Place
« on: August 29, 2018, 03:36:45 PM »
So upset to hear about the awful fire yesterday in this lovely old building! I am having an argument on facebook about it. I am 72 and used to shop there with my mother about 1952-60. My aunt Doreen (Anderson) used to know someone in the management. I am convinced it was Anderson and McAuley's then, but people say that shop was across the road beside it where Zara is now. Can anyone help? Is my memory wrong? I remember the men who were 'floor walkers', and the machine that sent the money up to the office in tubes and returned the change. The floors were a lovely light oak, and the fittings dark mahogany.

Sean B

Re: The Bank Buildings, Castle Place
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 04:18:24 PM »
The other people are right. The Bank Buildings and Anderson & McCauley were two separate department stores on opposite ends of the corner.

peaceangel

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 04:23:11 PM »
Thanks, Sean B. Funny how memories can change over the years.

James James

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 02:24:41 PM »
Thanks, Sean B. Funny how memories can change over the years.
Further to what Sean and others have said. The address of Primark is 1-27 Castle Street,... in the 1960 Belfast Street Directory  the addresses on that side of the street were,...

Castle Place,... High Street to Castle Street

1-15. Robb, J. & Co. Ltd., General Drapers and House Furnishers. T.A.: "Universal, Belfast"

17-21... Belfast Banking Co. Ltd., Castle Place Branch - T. N. McCann, Manager; J. A. F. Swann, Pro-Manager

Coates, Wm. F., & Co., stock brokers

Corry & Henderson, chartered accountants - Robert G. Henderson, F.C.A., and Kenneth E. D. Mackrell, F.C.A.

23. Ulster Club - S. Bell, manager

...here is Royal Avenue
...here is Bank Street

The Bank Buildings,  Bank Buildings Ltd.,

The, General Store and House Furnishers, Linen Merchants, Ladies' and Gent's Outfitters__________

Castle Street,... Castle Place to Divis Street

2-16. Anderson & McAuley Ltd.
, Ladies' and Men's Outfitters, General House Furnishers and Hardware Merchants. T.A.:

"Success." Belfast

...here is Fountain Street

18-40. Vacant ground
----------------------------------------------------------
https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/ccomplete1960.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_Buildings,_Belfast

This is a dramatic 2.5 minute aerial drone video of the building after the fire.
https://belfasttelegraph.bbvms.com/view/twocol_article/2987318.html

Many of the buildings in that area are stunning, and with what went on there in recent decades, it's amazing that so many of them have survived.

If you hold your mouse pointer over this modern street view image on the link below, and hold down your left mouse button and move your mouse around,... you can move around in the picture,... you can zoom in or out by rotating your mouse wheel,... perhaps it will help to refresh your memory.

https://tinyurl.com/y7u7nbvu

misssmyth1

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 01:51:33 PM »
Beautiful buildings and Royal Avenue used to be the place to shop in the 60s /70s. i remember going to the Bank Buildings for a suede jacket for a 16th Birthday present and it cost a fortune . We had a' posh lady ' with a shampoo and set and lots of makeup  on who brought out lots of jackets for me and helped me try on and choose and advised me etc. I was very self conscious  but my Mum was with me though and when we chose the one we paid and yes the money went up in a chute thing and the receipt came back the same way the assistant had to go to the chute and do it all( rolled up in a metal cylinder?) It was fascinating for me. Anderson and McAuleys was a beautiful store as well I remember having a makeup lesson there once and the assistants all seemed so glamorous . I went with one of my aunts to have her umbrella repaired no throw away society then as paid a lot for the items in the first place and had to last.The service was excellent at all times . Belfast has many beautiful buildings and architecture .

Jack The Kipper

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 07:30:55 AM »
I was downtown yesterday and I stopped to have a look and see what progress they are making rebuilding the fire damaged building, I couldn't believe it, it's still a shell, I don't think it took as long to build the original building. .they should have got the Yanks or the Chinks to rebuild it, it would have reopened two years ago!!
God Bless Big Rosie up our street!!!

JohnKelly

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 09:16:12 AM »
Another topic with info on the fire and the progress,

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,73676.0.html