Author Topic: Searching for Info on David Mason, Lagan Village, Died 1852  (Read 355 times)

mrsobooks

Searching for Info on David Mason, Lagan Village, Died 1852
« on: September 06, 2018, 09:28:40 AM »
I'm hoping someone can give me ideas about where to search for info about pre-1864 ancestors.  The David Mason mentioned in the subject line is my great-great grandfather.  His son was also David Mason, who came to the US in about 1851 and served as a lieutenant in the Civil War.  Most of what I know about David Jr's family was from his obituary, and some of it may not be accurate. 

I think that the senior David was born in Scotland in about 1788, came to Ireland in 1799, and I believe he worked in the linen mills as a machinist or mechanic.  He married Elizabeth Geddis, who died a year after him in 1853, and according to her son's obituary was a life-long Belfast resident.  I don't know her birth year and haven't been able to find anything more about her.  My great-grandfather David was their oldest child, born Dec. 14, 1825 in Lagan Village, followed by five daughters.  They were Ellen, Martha, Elizabeth, Elspa, and one whose name I don't know.  I don't know any of their birth years and 2 died in infancy.  Martha married an Edward McKinley and died in Ireland.  Elizabeth married James Clauders.  He was somehow killed near London in 1852, and she and her daughter came to Canada. Elspa died as a young woman, I believe unmarried, in Ireland.   

I would like to know where David Sr. and Elizabeth are buried.  I assume it was in the area of Lagan Village, but haven't been able to find cemeteries in the area.  I also would like to find a marriage record, but don't know what part of Belfast she was from.  I would very much appreciate any advice anyone could give.

Thos2019

Re: Searching for Info on David Mason, Lagan Village, Died 1852
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 01:57:51 PM »
Hi
I spotted your request today when I logged into this forum.  We may have some common and
casters as my great grandfather was a David Mason, and though I am just starting my search I can provide some details that may help.  One detail that I know is that my grandfather Thomas Mason was buried in the graveyard at Ballylesson on the outskirts of Belfast.  I will be going there to check who is buried there and any other details from parish records.
Tom Mason

JimG

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 07:06:34 PM »

Hello mrsobooks & Thos2019,  there is much to explore.  In case you havenít discovered  Edenderry village and Ballylesson village, they are about a mile from each other in Drumbo civil parish just south of Shaws bridge at the end of the the Malone road . where the road divides into Milltown road and Ballylesson road.  Off the Ballylesson road is the culdesac road to Edenderry. there are mills in thearea.   Lagan Village was the name given to the area over 4 miles NEwards surrounding the Lower Ravenhill Road  within a mile of where many mechanics were employed the Belfast shipyards

street directories
1843 has https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/alphanames1843N2Y.htm
under lagan village
Mason, David, Mechanic.
in the same directory is Mason, Miss, 3 College Street South.a school teacher of young gentlemen
Ros Davies Co Down unique website http://www.rosdavies.com
has possible relations
David   GEDDIS   .   Drumbo  died 17 Aug 1837 aged 77; buried Drumbo Church of Ireland graveyard with Rachel Geddis & McVicker family   MIs
Josias   GEDDIS   .   Drumbo   regd. Ballylesson; husband of Eliza(beth) Thompson; father of Margaret Jane b. 13 May 1866 & female child b. 18 Jul 1872   CR
Miss   Mary Eliza   GEDDES   .   Drumbo   regd. Ballylesson; wife of David Dobbin; mother of Hugh b. 1869   CR
Rachel   GEDDIS   .   Drumbo died 5 May 1837 aged 87 ; buried Drumbo Church of Ireland graveyard with David Geddis & McVicker family   MIs
John MASON   .   Drumbo   regd. Ballylesson; husband of Sarah Shaw; father of Letitia b. 19 Dec 1867 & Mary b. 14 Jan 1870 & James b. 25 Apr 1871 & Richard b. 26 Jul 1873   CR

Under her church section in Drumbo she lists available church records many are in the PRONI Belfast [a must visit] her church records
Drumbo heres examples
20:33/67   Church of Ireland;Holy Trinity   in Ballylessan townland, on the Belfast/Hillhall/Lisburn road; click here for a photo and more inormation records from 1791, graveyard attached, gravestone inscriptions UHF Vol 1, 2 & 18; oldest stone 1783; email me ros davies for a gravestone look-up
Drumbo   Church of Ireland   Edenderry House; gravestone inscriptions available UHF Vol 3 ; email me ros davies for a gravestone look-up   .
Drumbo 20:32/65   Presbyterian   in Drumbo townland; click here for a photo of the graveyard and round tower and more information   . records available are baptisms 1699-1723 then 1764-1773, 1781-1792, marriages 1706-1721 then 1765- 1792; PRONI Ref # Mic/1P/ 291 for baptisms from 1827 - 1860s; gravestones UHF Vol 4; oldest stone 1697; email me ros davies for a gravestone look-up.
Try http://www.lisburn.com/books/drumbo_church/drumbo1.htm
Drumbo 20:37/68   Presbyterian; Reformed   in Knockbreckan townland, 2km E of Purdysburn Hospital gates on the Purdysburn to Comber road; erected in 1783 at a cost of £180; dimensions were 60 by 35 feet; rebuilt 1806; in 1832 there were 52 seats in the aisle & 5 in the gallery which hold 6 people each; there was a school adjoining it; Rev. Torrens Boyd was minister from 11 Jan 1893- 1898; graveyard attached, gravestones UHF Vol 1 & 18,oldest stone 1790; email me ros davies for a gravestone look-up   V7 p 102 OSM ; GIC ; CADRF; V1 MIs

Historic records at PRONI include the Tithes but I didnít find any connecting Masons
interestingly I found
Geddes, David-Townland: Leverogue Year: 1829-Drumbo-Down-
Geddes, James-Townland: Leverogue Year: 1829-Drumbo-Down-
Geddes, John-Townland: Leverogue Year: 1829-Drumbo-Down-

Street directories confirm David Mason Mechanic lived in the Lagan Village in 1843
eg http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/BSD1843.htm

I tried unsucessfully for David Mason only at https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/captcha.jsp

I tried unsucessfully for David Mason only at
https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx

lets hope the experts join in

Thos2019

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 11:32:47 AM »
JimG
thanks for your rapid response to my reply to MrsObooks.  Her message had sat for over a year with no response so I hope that she is still looking.
Your PRONI info was most useful, I'll get down soon and look up the details you have provided.
Tom Mason