Author Topic: H&W ships  (Read 1478 times)

Bigali

H&W ships
« on: August 20, 2018, 08:55:15 AM »

M.V. `Foylebank` built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for the Bank Line (Andrew Weir & Sons Ltd)   :)

I believe there was an MV Foylebank that was converted to an armed Merchant Cruiser at the start of the Second World War and renamed HMS Foylebank . She was sunk with quite a loss of life in Portsmouth Harbour ? by German Bombers. Is this that ship or a newer one that was given the name Foylebank ?
Tout Prest

jjmack

Re: Re: The yard
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 10:18:46 PM »
I believe there was an MV Foylebank that was converted to an armed Merchant Cruiser at the start of the Second World War and renamed HMS Foylebank . She was sunk with quite a loss of life in Portsmouth Harbour ? by German Bombers. Is this that ship or a newer one that was given the name Foylebank ?

The ship in the photo is from 1955, you are correct regarding HMS 'Foylebank'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Foylebank   :)

Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

Bigali

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 08:20:31 AM »
The ship in the photo is from 1955, you are correct regarding HMS 'Foylebank'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Foylebank   :)

Thank you  O0
Tout Prest

JackM

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 12:31:53 PM »

Here is the vessel as  built by Harland & Wolff in 1980 as the `St. Anselm.

And here she is now as the M.S. `Bari` I saw her off the coast of Albania last week. She was on her regular run from Bari in Italy to the Greek mainland via Corfu. Her unmistakable profile drew my attention to her. She is now in her 38th year. True testament to those who built her.  :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.

JackM

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 12:50:40 PM »

M.V. `St. Anselm` built by Harland & Wolff in 1980 for Sealink British Ferries.  :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.

JackM

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 12:54:13 PM »

Another view of the St. Anselm.  :)

JackM

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 12:56:14 PM »

M.V. `St. Anselm`  :)

jjmack

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 05:16:55 AM »

And here she is now as the M.S. `Bari` I saw her off the coast of Albania last week. She was on her regular run from Bari in Italy to the Greek mainland via Corfu. Her unmistakable profile drew my attention to her. She is now in her 38th year. True testament to those who built her.  :)

It never ceases to amaze me just how many Harland & Wolff built ships are still around.  :)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

jjmack

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 05:46:17 AM »

M.V. `St. Anselm`  :)

Wonder what happened to the other three vessels of the quartet, Galloway Princess, St. David & St. Christopher?  ::)

toadstool999

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 12:08:40 PM »

It looks like they've added an extra deck at the stern or covered over what was there before.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

jillyfred

Re: H&W ships
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 04:44:32 PM »

JackM-what terrific photographs and the information you give alongside them.
We can be very proud of our Shipyard and her workers.

Thank you for continuing to post on this subject -an education of our heritage now
gone but many ships still sailing proudly.

jilly
I meant to include jjmack also-apologies

jjmack

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 09:47:22 PM »
It looks like they've added an extra deck at the stern or covered over what was there before.

Extra stern decking was added by Harland & Wolff in 1983, but the most recent photo appears to show it altered again. Jackm's photo is I suspect just after her entry into service with Sealink.
Here is some information on her.  :)

http://www.doverferryphotosforums.co.uk/mv-st-anselm/

JackM

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 05:29:26 PM »
    :)

JackM

Re: Harland and Wolff workers
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2018, 11:39:55 AM »

Here is a beautiful night shot of the Canberra fitting out, at Belfast   :)

JackM

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2018, 11:41:32 AM »

Canberra in dry dock.   :)