Author Topic: H&W ships  (Read 1429 times)

jjmack

Re: H&W ships
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2018, 09:16:41 PM »

The magnificent `Sea Quest`, built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast.   :)

A tremendous feat of Engineering, by any means. Launched off a traditional slipway, it was one of Harland & Wolff's greatest achievements and one of shipbuildings greatest ever achievements. Only in later years, was this tremendous feat of Engineering truly appreciated.  :)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

JackM

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2018, 12:27:00 PM »

M.V. `Cedarbank`completed by Harland & Wolff, Belfast in 1953, for the Bank Line (Andrew Weir & Sons)   :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.

JackM

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2018, 12:54:32 PM »

In dry dock at Harland & Wolff, Belfast.   :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.

jillyfred

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2018, 05:17:14 PM »

Great photographs JackM.
Really enjoy all those you and jjmack post.
Such a history to be really proud of.

jilly :)

Number26

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2018, 08:02:23 PM »
Jack have you any pics of British steel/skill,these were the first ships I worked on in the early 80s.

toadstool999

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2018, 11:46:11 PM »
A tremendous feat of Engineering, by any means. Launched off a traditional slipway, it was one of Harland & Wolff's greatest achievements and one of shipbuildings greatest ever achievements. Only in later years, was this tremendous feat of Engineering truly appreciated.  :)

An amazing thing. I heard that they used two slipways, is that right?
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

jjmack

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2018, 04:17:05 PM »
An amazing thing. I heard that they used two slipways, is that right?

According to the authorive history of Harland & Wolff, 'Shipbuilders to the World', by Moss & Hume, 'Sea Quest' was launched down 3 slipways, one for each leg. A truly amazing feat of Engineering, bar none.  :) 
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

JackM

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2018, 10:38:07 AM »

`British Steel` built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast.   :)

JackM

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2018, 10:41:08 AM »
According to the authorive history of Harland & Wolff, 'Shipbuilders to the World', by Moss & Hume, 'Sea Quest' was launched down 3 slipways, one for each leg. A truly amazing feat of Engineering, bar none.  :)

Yes Jim, She was launched down three slipways as you say. I didn't attend the launch as I was in India at that time. I remember my Father telling me about a slight `wobble` when she was launched, but apart from that, it went according to plan. A truly remarkable feat of Engineering.  :)

JackM

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2018, 10:46:34 AM »

`British Skill` built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast.   :)

JackM

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2018, 12:25:01 PM »

The tanker `Myrina`, built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast. At the time of her launch in 1968, she was the first Supertanker in the World and the largest ship under the German Flag.   :)

JackM

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2018, 12:34:23 PM »

The Tanker `British Success` sister ship to `British Skill` both built at Harland & Wolff, Belfast for B.P.   :)

JackM

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2018, 04:31:11 PM »

The `Reina Del Mar`, built at Harland & Wolff, in 1956   :)

JackM

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2018, 04:33:30 PM »

Launch of the `Reina Del Mar` at Harland & Wolff.   :)

jjmack

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2018, 05:39:57 AM »

The `Reina Del Mar`, built at Harland & Wolff, in 1956   :)

A beautiful vessel, sadly built too late for the South American passenger trade.  :(