Author Topic: H&W ships  (Read 5527 times)

JackM

Re: H&W ships
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2018, 12:07:24 PM »

The `Reina Del Mar` and the older `Reina Del Pacifico` both built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, for the Pacific Steam Navigation Company`s service to South America. Both shown in a South American port which it is believed to be the only time they were ever in port together.   :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2018, 07:33:34 AM »

The `Reina Del Mar` and the older `Reina Del Pacifico` both built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, for the Pacific Steam Navigation Company`s service to South America. Both shown in a South American port which it is believed to be the only time they were ever in port together.   :)

My Mother worked on both of these ships, working on the " Soft Furnishings " while working for Heaton Tabb. ( a wholly owned subsidiary of

H&W, for a number of years )
Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

jjmack

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2018, 05:55:38 AM »
My Mother worked on both of these ships, working on the " Soft Furnishings " while working for Heaton Tabb. ( a wholly owned subsidiary of

H&W, for a number of years )

Yes indeed. Reading 'Shipbuilders to the World', Heston Tabb played a very central role in fitting out the great liners and very well fitted out they were. Harland & Wolff eventually sold off Heaton Tabb as they no longer required the services of fitting out liners.  :(
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

JackM

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2018, 01:29:27 PM »

Launch of the RMS `Amazon` from Harland & Wolff, Belfast in 1959   :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.

JackM

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2018, 01:34:56 PM »

Here she is fully fitted and ready to sail from Tilbury, having been delivered from Harland & Wolff, Belfast.   :)

JackM

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2019, 12:56:25 PM »

The Magnificent S.S. `Southern Cross` returning to her builders Harland & Wolff, Belfast from sea trials in 1955.   :)

JackM

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2019, 06:41:00 PM »

The magnificent RMS `Andes` built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast in 1939.   :)

poacher

Harland and wolff
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2019, 08:30:06 AM »
What was the last ship launched at harland and wolff

Number26

Re: Harland and wolff
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2019, 08:37:29 AM »
Poacher,launched from slipways or out of the dry dock?

poacher

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2019, 09:10:49 AM »
From the slipway

jjmack

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2019, 07:09:07 PM »
I will have a stab at this. The first ship 'floated' out of the new building dock was the supertanker 'Esso Ulidia' in 1970, I think. The building dock came about as tankers were getting larger and larger. The previous smaller supertanker 'Myrina' had to be moved 45 feet down the slipway to allow the forward section to be built in 1967 / 68
I think the last ships launched down a conventional slipway at Harland & Wolff were the four passenger / car ferries  built for British Rail. Galloway Princess, St. David, St Anselm and St. Christopher, all built between 1979 and 1981. All are still sailing by the way. Perhaps some ex Harlands employee knows better ?  ::)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

poacher

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2019, 09:25:40 AM »
The four ferries where built in the building Dock I worked on all four I remember watching a launch about 1970 when I was in the Training centre

poacher

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2019, 09:38:54 AM »
The four ferry's where in the 1980s it must have been the Myrina that was the last launched from slipway

jjmack

« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2019, 07:08:00 PM »
The four ferries where built in the building Dock I worked on all four I remember watching a launch about 1970 when I was in the Training centre

See post#26 The 4 ferries were launched from slipways.  ::)

JackM

« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2019, 12:50:38 PM »

Poacher, I think you are getting slightly confused. There were quite a few launches from slipways at H&W after the launch of `Myrina` on 6th September 1967, which I attended.
The following ships were launched after `Myrina`.
`Essi Kristine` 21/11/67
`Gowanbank` 01/12/67
HMS `Chardybdis` 28/02/68
`Thara` 14/05/68
`Skaufast` 09/08/68
`Aino` 18/03/69

The building Dock was not ready until 1970 and the first ship floated out was the VLCC `Esso Ulidia` on 29/05/1971