Author Topic: Falls Rd Incident Early Seventies  (Read 893 times)

shamrock249

Falls Rd Incident Early Seventies
« on: September 26, 2018, 08:08:36 PM »
HI,  I'm looking for information on a shooting incident that happened on the Falls Road around Beechmount. It was reported at the time in the Tele along with a photo of the bus. It involved my brother Larry Cullen who was driving the Belfast Corporation Bus along the Falls in the direction of the Falls Park. Someone shot at the bus and two bullets entered through the back window and excited through the windshield beside Larry. It happened on a Saturday morning and no one was injured. We know it happened before June in 1973. Can anyone suggest anything as to how we can get hold of that photo and perhaps a copy of the story? Larry apparently contacted the Tele who said they couldn't help.
Signed   Mrs Cullen's wee son Jimmy.

jjmack

Re: Falls Rd Incident Early Seventies
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 08:28:42 PM »
HI,  I'm looking for information on a shooting incident that happened on the Falls Road around Beechmount. It was reported at the time in the Tele along with a photo of the bus. It involved my brother Larry Cullen who was driving the Belfast Corporation Bus along the Falls in the direction of the Falls Park. Someone shot at the bus and two bullets entered through the back window and excited through the windshield beside Larry. It happened on a Saturday morning and no one was injured. We know it happened before June in 1973. Can anyone suggest anything as to how we can get hold of that photo and perhaps a copy of the story? Larry apparently contacted the Tele who said they couldn't help.

Perhaps the newspaper library ? It may take a wee bit of research however.  ::)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

desi

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 08:13:47 AM »
Shamrock ,if you live here why not go down to the Central Library and look up
the old newspapers of the time .
JUSTICE FOR THE BALLYMURPHY 11.

shamrock249

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 03:06:01 PM »
Sorry Desi, I live in Canada.

Bigali

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 03:58:37 PM »
During that period of the troubles shooting incidents like this were so numerous that some of them probably weren’t even officially recorded . There was a publication at one time called “The British Army in Ulster” which used to record these sort of things in a magazine format , perhaps a google search of that might come up with something.
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

pflanagan132

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 08:02:22 PM »
The Irish Independent of 8 April 1973 carried a short report of the incident.Five people on a Corporation bus narrowly escaped death when two gunmen peppered both sides of the vehicle with high-velocity bullets. The shooting happened as the bus was travelling along the Falls Road at Beechmount Drive. The conductor and a small boy missed death as bullets punctured the side of the bus. It is believed a military patrol travelling behind the bus was the intended target.
A few weeks earlier a driver was shot dead by gunmen who boarded his bus at Woodvale Road.

CMcG

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 09:28:40 PM »

7 April 1973:

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Bigali

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 11:08:14 PM »
Brilliant CMcG  O0
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

shamrock249

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 11:09:38 PM »
Many thanks for your kind help.