Author Topic: Canterbury Inn and Hattie Jacques  (Read 507 times)

Tileman

Canterbury Inn and Hattie Jacques
« on: October 05, 2018, 09:26:24 AM »

I'm looking for any descriptions and photos of the Canterbury Inn. It is said to have had a Canterbury Tales themed sign and decor.
Records show that the Biltmore Inn was developed as the Canterbury Inn in late 1970 or 1971 and it was the operating name of the premises for McKibben’s Croft Inns Ltd. It seems the bar was destroyed in the troubles in 1976/7.

In 2010 RangeRover posted
Next door to the Housing Executive building was the Canterbury bar, which btw was opened by none other than Hattie Jacques the well known actress from the Carry On movies.
Publicity and advertising from the bar's opening are probably by best chance of finding photos of the bar.
Any clue or guess of the opening date would be most welcome. Cheers.

jjmack

Re: Canterbury Inn and Hattie Jacques
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 05:41:08 PM »
The Canterbury bar I remember, was at the corner of Great Victoria Street and Hope Street, if memory serves me ? From memory it had I think, a Knight on a horse on the wall outside it ?  ???
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

JackM

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 12:40:46 PM »
The Canterbury bar I remember, was at the corner of Great Victoria Street and Hope Street, if memory serves me ? From memory it had I think, a Knight on a horse on the wall outside it ?  ???

I don't think it was on the Corner. If you look at the extreme right of this photo you can see what I believe is a `horse` and the bar. I could be well off the mark here ?   :)

:)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.

jjmack

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 11:06:13 AM »
No you are spot on jack. That's the bar ok. You can see the first two letters of 'Canterbury' and the first two letters of 'Inn'. I wonder has the OP seen this ? :)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

Tileman

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 07:22:56 PM »
Thanks for your posting of the photograph JackM.   It is really useful.

Apologies for the delay in replying - I have been distracted by other urgent research.

I will post again soon.

Tileman

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 01:39:51 PM »
The Belfast Telegraph of 11 May 1966 reported that Hattie Jacques was to reopen the "Baltimore Inn" on Hope Street that evening. This seems to clarify and correct RangeRover's 2010 memory(above). I would attach an image of the cutting if I knew how to.