Author Topic: Not a popular post  (Read 1269 times)

river rats

Re: Not a popular post
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2018, 12:44:52 PM »
No disrespect intended, and I know what you meant, but I am just imagining everyone bumping into each other on the stairs as they are all on the same side. :D
and is that not exactly what they do now  ::)
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

misssmyth1

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 08:43:11 PM »
what ever the century or whatever the age of a person good manners and respect is king as far as i am concerned . i can say with out a doubt it has stood me in good stead.  Our daughter in her  early thirties passed a remark  just recently about the lack of good manners in general and  I was happy that  . she knew the difference and she is a modern well educated  young woman  .we have passed it on and we can  encourage it to  be passed on  

Joe 90

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2018, 05:07:09 PM »
I spent the last 17 years of my career commuting daily to London by train. In my fifties and sixties I was always happy to offer my seat to an elderly person, a pregnant lady, a lady carrying a baby in her arms, even a young lady on crutches on one occasion. I am sorry to say that young men and women half my age and less would sit with their heads down, and it was clear they weren't moving for anyone. I was almost invariably the only one.
This year, I had 2 weeks' holiday in Italy. I regard myself as a fit, slim 70 year-old, but the locals (not the tourists) not only offered their seats to my wife and me, but they refused to take no for an answer. It got embarrassing, because some of these people were ladies in their forties!
I hate to ask the obvious question - what does this say about us?

misssmyth1

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2018, 07:15:59 PM »
i would always give up a seat for anyone if i thought they needed it more than me of any age or gender.  the Europeans are very well mannered and to be honest a lot of UK citizens too but I agree it is not taught at home much anymore sadly .. recently  i saw two small girls about 4 &  6 years old messing about in a restaurant and disturbing the other diners. parents did nothing and the Manager had to ask them to intervene and  they   even pulled  at the tablecloth of one table spilling the drinks and no apology from the parents who were happily eating in peace while the kids caused chaos!  just another small example if the parents don't teach who can? 

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2018, 09:36:02 PM »

In MEXICO, a  Mexican woman younger than me, offered me her seat in a crowded bus, I was reluctant to take it ( macho attitude  :) )

, but she insisted .

My Wife, also insisted that it was the Woman's  recognition of my " ELDERLY status " :-[ :spiteful:
When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

You can speak it, but God help you if someone doesn't agree with you

jjmack

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2018, 08:30:37 PM »
I spent the last 17 years of my career commuting daily to London by train. In my fifties and sixties I was always happy to offer my seat to an elderly person, a pregnant lady, a lady carrying a baby in her arms, even a young lady on crutches on one occasion. I am sorry to say that young men and women half my age and less would sit with their heads down, and it was clear they weren't moving for anyone. I was almost invariably the only one.
This year, I had 2 weeks' holiday in Italy. I regard myself as a fit, slim 70 year-old, but the locals (not the tourists) not only offered their seats to my wife and me, but they refused to take no for an answer. It got embarrassing, because some of these people were ladies in their forties!
I hate to ask the obvious question - what does this say about us?

This is exactly why I dislike London. New York is exactly the same. People in a rush with no time whatsoever, for anyone else and no manners at all. ::)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

MaggieP

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2018, 09:40:29 AM »
Something which always gets our goat is people not saying thank you when you stop for them at a zebra crossing, it takes no effort to raise a hand or nod and smile if your hands are full.  Likewise, we live in an area full of narrow roads with passing places, most people will raise their hand on the wheel as they pass, but a few ignorant ones just sail through as though they own the road.  My husband usually shouts ''That's alright, any time!' at them.

derdrei

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2018, 02:29:17 AM »
I am thankful my kids have grown up to be lovely adults , they get on with like minded people  very well , they show respect to all and are well liked in return.

jillyfred

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2018, 07:59:11 PM »
I am thankful my kids have grown up to be lovely adults , they get on with like minded people  very well , they show respect to all and are well liked in return.

===
That is all down to the good Mother they have who has taught and led by example
Derdrei.
Your rich in your `six blessings`.

jilly

derdrei

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2018, 01:46:32 AM »
===
That is all down to the good Mother they have who has taught and led by example
Derdrei.
Your rich in your `six blessings`.

jilly
thank you jilly that is a lovely thing to say.