Author Topic: Brutally shocking....BELFAST HOMELESSNESS  (Read 9102 times)

White dee

Re: Brutally shocking....BELFAST HOMELESSNESS
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2019, 10:31:55 PM »
Justice for all the innocent/ unarmed People who were
Gunned down by the British Soldiers,
For no other reason then their religion,were murdered.

James James

« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2019, 12:18:33 AM »
"Editor's Viewpoint"

"May 31 2019"
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/editors-viewpoint/editors-viewpoint-homelessness-calls-for-concerted-action-38165448.html

"Editor's Viewpoint: Homelessness calls for concerted action"

"The news that a homeless centre in Belfast has been forced to shut its doors is highly concerning."

"It is inexcusable that, in a modern society with a welfare state, people have no place to call home."

Quote,...

Most people equate homelessness with those who live rough on the streets of our cities and towns - however, they are only a fraction of those officially recognised as homeless.

The official definition also includes people living in temporary accommodation, such as the homes of friends or family, in B&Bs, in hostels and in unsuitable or overcrowded accommodation.

Many people will find it difficult to understand how anyone can end up being classified as homeless.

Yet domestic disputes, the ending of tenancies and mental health and addiction problems can all be contributory factors, and those can strike at any time.

This was not simply a drop-in centre for tea and sympathy, but one where volunteers tried to adopt a more holistic approach, exploring the causes of homelessness, which led to 40 to 60 vulnerable people presenting themselves at the centre seeking help twice a week.

The work of the 32 volunteers at the PVN Homeless Drop-in Centre was commendable and reflects the concern that leads to so many volunteers, in a variety of organisations, spending some of their free time helping the vulnerable and attempting to get them back on a more stable path.

Yet this is a huge problem beyond the capability of any voluntary body to solve.

There needs to be inter-agency partnerships to explore the root causes of individuals' homelessness, offer treatment where possible and provide applicants with, or direct them to, suitable accommodation.

An investigative website found last year that in an 11-month period here, 148 registered-homeless people had their applications for social housing closed because they had died.

And most had died well below the normal life expectancy of both men and women.

Of course, only a minority of those were rough sleepers.

The rest were noticed, never mind mourned, only by relatives or close friends

Do we really need to see more people lying dead on the street before a concerted effort is made to tackle the problem of homelessness ?

As ever, the absence of a functioning devolved government hinders progress.

Belfast Telegraph

White dee

« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2019, 05:58:41 PM »
"Editor's Viewpoint"

"May 31 2019"
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/editors-viewpoint/editors-viewpoint-homelessness-calls-for-concerted-action-38165448.html

"Editor's Viewpoint: Homelessness calls for concerted action"

"The news that a homeless centre in Belfast has been forced to shut its doors is highly concerning."

"It is inexcusable that, in a modern society with a welfare state, people have no place to call home."

Quote,...

Most people equate homelessness with those who live rough on the streets of our cities and towns - however, they are only a fraction of those officially recognised as homeless.

The official definition also includes people living in temporary accommodation, such as the homes of friends or family, in B&Bs, in hostels and in unsuitable or overcrowded accommodation.

Many people will find it difficult to understand how anyone can end up being classified as homeless.

Yet domestic disputes, the ending of tenancies and mental health and addiction problems can all be contributory factors, and those can strike at any time.

This was not simply a drop-in centre for tea and sympathy, but one where volunteers tried to adopt a more holistic approach, exploring the causes of homelessness, which led to 40 to 60 vulnerable people presenting themselves at the centre seeking help twice a week.

The work of the 32 volunteers at the PVN Homeless Drop-in Centre was commendable and reflects the concern that leads to so many volunteers, in a variety of organisations, spending some of their free time helping the vulnerable and attempting to get them back on a more stable path.

Yet this is a huge problem beyond the capability of any voluntary body to solve.

There needs to be inter-agency partnerships to explore the root causes of individuals' homelessness, offer treatment where possible and provide applicants with, or direct them to, suitable accommodation.

An investigative website found last year that in an 11-month period here, 148 registered-homeless people had their applications for social housing closed because they had died.

And most had died well below the normal life expectancy of both men and women.

Of course, only a minority of those were rough sleepers.

The rest were noticed, never mind mourned, only by relatives or close friends

Do we really need to see more people lying dead on the street before a concerted effort is made to tackle the problem of homelessness ?

As ever, the absence of a functioning devolved government hinders progress.

Belfast Telegraph

But the important ones will sleep well tonight, and to them , that's all that
Matters,

James James

James James

« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2019, 05:31:57 AM »
What amazing people. !

"25 June, 2019"
https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2019/06/25/news/belfast-soup-kitchen-sees-demand-rise-more-than-tenfold-1648691/

"Belfast soup kitchen sees demand rise more than tenfold"

"Paul McCusker outside St Patrick's Soup Kitchen in Donegall Street, Belfast. Picture by Matt Bohill"

"Saint Patrick’s Soup Kitchen, which opened on Donegall Street in Belfast in April 2017, initially served an average of 20 meals each weekend but two years on, it dishes out almost 250."

"Set up by then St Patrick's priest Fr Dominic McGrattan and homeless support worker Paul McCusker, after they recognised the growing needs of homeless and those suffering with addictions, the facility opened with a basic service consisting of just a tea trolley with warm drinks and sandwiches."

"Now, having had to move into bigger premises but still based at St Patrick's Church, the soup kitchen offers a range of services including hot food, a clothes bank and a food bank."

"Users of the facility, which opens from 7pm-11pm on a Friday and Saturday, include rough sleepers, families with young children, pensioners and young people, all of whom have found themselves on the periphery of society and struggling to make ends meet."

"For many of those who turn up for a hot meal, it is the only one they will have perhaps for days and the only company they will enjoy from week to week."        etcetera,...

"Paul McCusker (left) pictured with his team of volunteers at St Partrick's Soup Kitchen. Pictured from left are Paul McCusker, Elenor Fennell, Marion Hughes, Geraldine Smyth and Rita Campbell. Picture Matt Bohill"

"Volunteers Linda Duffy and Rosaleen Beattie sort out clothes donations at the soup kitchen. Picture Matt Bohill"

"Sonya McKnight (right), who found herself homeless and redundant two years ago, pictured with soup kitchen volunteer, Colleen Scott. Picture Matt Bohill"

"Donations including non-perishable food, toiletries and clothing can be dropped off at St Patrick's Soup Kitchen on Donegall Street, beside St Patrick's Church, between 7pm and 11pm on Fridays and Saturdays."

"Arrangements can also be made for donations to be picked up. Contact Paul McCusker on 07467 339637."

Billy Fish

Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

James James

« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2019, 05:15:09 PM »
"29 June, 2019"
http://www.irishnews.com/lifestyle/2019/06/29/news/marie-louise-mcconville-left-feeling-humbled-and-thankful-after-emotional-night-at-belfast-soup-kitchen-1650533/

"Marie Louise McConville: Left feeling humbled and thankful after emotional night at Belfast soup kitchen"

Quote,...

It's really difficult to surprise me in my job these days.

Having been a news journalist at the Irish News for almost 16 years, I've seen a lot and heard a lot.

Much of the time, the things I come across are similar to things I've seen before, just a tweaked version.

However, just when I thought I'd seen a fair bit of everything, I found myself at a job which moved me to tears and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

Last Friday night, I spent the evening at St Patrick's Soup Kitchen in Belfast

Based on Donegall Street, just a few doors from us at the Irish News, the service opened in 2017 to meet the ever-growing needs of those living on the poverty line in the city, as well as the homeless.

Obviously, I knew this would be a tough job to cover so on my way I had tried to prepare myself so that I could remain completely professional.

However, just five minutes after the doors to the soup kitchen opened, I was simply gutted by the scenes I witnessed.

Seeing people eager for a hot meal, an emergency food parcel or a piece of clothing to stay warm, made me very emotional.

However, it was the children and babies, for whom a trip to the soup kitchen on a Friday night was `normal' with their stressed mothers obviously under pressure to make ends meet, that moved me to tears.

These were sights I just never thought I would see in 2019 and to know it is happening each weekend on one of Belfast's busiest streets is just shocking.

The team behind this service do it because they care and they look for no recognition.

Paul McCusker who runs the service said demand is ever increasing, and as it is wholly dependent on donations from the public, it is relying on the kindness of strangers to keep it going.

What angers me is that it is not actually the job of this team of wonderful volunteers to help these people survive.

No, that is the job of our so-called politicians who continue to fight with each other like children, refusing to do their job but still getting paid.

Maybe they should think about donating some of their easily earned wages to St Patrick's Soup Kitchen to help these people, who are vulnerable, desperate and struggling.

It's disgraceful this is happening in 21st century Northern Ireland.

I left the soup kitchen feeling humbled.

It's made me appreciate everything I have in my life so much more.

James James

« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2019, 09:06:13 AM »
             http://www.shopmobilitybelfast.co.uk/news

http://www.shopmobilitybelfast.co.uk/volunteer_of_the_month_march_2019

"25 June, 2019"
https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2019/06/25/news/belfast-soup-kitchen-sees-demand-rise-more-than-tenfold-1648691/

"Belfast soup kitchen sees demand rise more than tenfold"

"STORY 2: Sonya McKnight"

"Quote,..."

Two years ago, Sonya McKnight was living a normal life, working in an office and living in a house.

However, when her marriage broke down in 2017, she found herself on the streets with nowhere to go and no-one to turn to.

She was left with no choice but to seek emergency accommodation at a Simon Community hostel, and to make matters worse, the then 42-year-old was made redundant from her admin job.

"I ended up with mental health issues", she said

Sonya McKnight (right), who found herself homeless and redundant two years ago, pictured with soup kitchen volunteer, Colleen Scott. Picture Matt Bohill

"It's a struggle living on Jobseeker's Allowance. I didn't have the money to have a meal at night. There's some people don't have food."

After discovering St Patrick's Soup Kitchen, the Newtownabbey woman found the help she needed.

Volunteer Colleen Scott befriended Sonya when she would arrive and helped support her through some of her darkest days.

"I get a hot meal and a dessert," she said.

"I also come here for the company. It's a life saver for some people. What Paul and his team have done here, I would recommend to anybody. You come here and ask and they will point you in the right direction."

Now in her own house, back at college studying for new qualifications and volunteering for a number of charities, Sonya said her life is back on track.

"My life in the last two years has been a struggle," she said.

"Until you have been there, you don't know. You don't realise it until it comes to your door. The old saying `You are only a pay check away from homelessness' - I didn't think I would be a pay check away."

"I'm a better, independent, stronger woman now".

Billy Fish

Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

White dee

« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2019, 09:57:30 PM »
Very well done, the Duchess.  O0 O0

Did the Duches make two visits Billy or are you getting confused  ???

HarryHippo

« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2019, 11:40:27 PM »
Very well done, the Duchess.  O0 O0
Extremely well done,  the Duchess.   O0
Lux Et Veritas.

Support Soldier F

Billy Fish

« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2019, 07:42:23 PM »
Did the Duches make two visits Billy or are you getting confused  ???

Credit where credit is due. Don't think she gets enough credit.  :)
Support Soldier F

James James

« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2019, 03:09:28 AM »
"22 December 2018"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-46480427

"Homelessness in Belfast captured in photos"

"The right to adequate housing inspired a Belfast-based photography club's exhibition on homelessness in Northern Ireland."

"The themes chosen by the photographers included feelings of despair, shame and loneliness."

"A number of charities including Leonard Cheshire, which offers services for disabled people, partnered to create a mural depicting these themes of homelessness on Lower North Street in Belfast."

https://www.leonardcheshire.org/where-we-work/northern-ireland

https://en-gb.facebook.com/LeonardCheshireNorthernIreland

"As part of the photographic exhibition, the Council for the Homeless Northern Ireland organised a Christmas card competition with entries from children in living in temporary accommodation"

"This picture from the photo series was captured by Cormac McArt, director of the Westcourt Centre, who based his image on the theme of loneliness."

"Photographers were asked to take photos inspired by Article 25 the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The article states that 'everyone has the right to adequate housing' "

"The Westcourt Camera Club collaborated with local homeless services and asked men and women to share their feelings and emotions about being homeless, like what they missed most about home."

Etcetera,...

James James

« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2019, 04:42:24 PM »

derdrei

Re: Brutally shocking
« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2019, 09:01:18 AM »
No one ( let alone 150 ) should die on the streets in this day and age,
no not at all it is very sad.