Author Topic: NCR Skegoneill Avenue  (Read 431 times)

Noel P

NCR Skegoneill Avenue
« on: October 12, 2018, 08:29:33 PM »

Photo of my dad's former workplace in Skegoneill Avenue, Belfast. Not sure if building still exists. It was the Belfast office of National Cash Register Company. The photo would probably be in the 1950s/60s.

Jack The Kipper

Re: NCR Skegoneill Avenue
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 07:39:51 AM »
Photo of my dad's former workplace in Skegoneill Avenue, Belfast. Not sure if building still exists. It was the Belfast office of National Cash Register Company. The photo would probably be in the 1950s/60s.

I remember that building Noel, was it beside the Somerton Inn?
God bless you President Trump.

Noel P

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 09:34:31 AM »

Hi Jack,
Don't know, I'm afraid  ??? . I remember being in it a few times as a wee boy but we didn't live near it. I'd have been too young to have noticed pubs. I'd probably clock that now :)  Noel

gonetolondon

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 10:47:15 AM »
I worked there 1971 to 1974. Would your Dad have been there then? Some names I recall are Alf, Ledley, Victor, Frizell, John Nash, Ronnie. The building is still on Google maps but NCR left it a long time ago. The pub was across the road to the right but it's no longer there. We were a great bunch of mixed guys and girls who looked out for each other. Happy place to work.

Noel P

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 10:54:15 AM »

Hi,

A lot of those ring bells. My dad was John Patterson. He was there for many years before that but he was still there for most of those years. We left as a family to go to Scotland in late 1973. He transferred to an NCR office in Scotland. Regards, Noel

gonetolondon

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 11:04:18 AM »
Yeah Noel, I remembered that name instantly. Martin Brunty also worked there long before and after me. We lived beside each other when we were kids. He has some pics on facebook but I don't think your Dad would be in them. All the best. John Brennan

Noel P

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 11:29:27 AM »

Hello John,

I THINK I remember dad mentioning your name (it was a long time ago  :) ). Unfortunately he died of a sudden heart attack 27 years ago (age 59). Here's a photo of him age 59. He started in NCR around in the 1950s/60s. I remember him feeling a bit de-skilled when machines became more electronic and he found himself replacing circuit boards, though think he loved the camaraderie of NCR. I have photos of the engineers together, though most if not all before your time there, John. He'd been a mechanical engineer. My mother is still alive and she'll be pleased that I'd been in touch with one of dad's former colleagues. Best wishes! Noel

Martinbrunty

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 11:41:21 AM »
I worked with John for a few years before he moved to Scotland. Met him a couple of times in Glasgow office when I was there for meetings(Union) .John was well liked and life and soul of Belfast NCR while he was there and his big hobby was photography. We were all sad to hear of his passing.
Some of his old colleagues are in some photos on my Facebook page.

Noel P

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 02:20:23 PM »

Hi Martin/John,

Thanks for the kind words about dad. I found this old photo from NCR. Dad is on the left but maybe your Facebook folk might know the others, Martin?

Cheers!

Noel