Author Topic: Joseph Dempsey, Belfast artist  (Read 837 times)

Eugene Dunphy

Joseph Dempsey, Belfast artist
« on: October 18, 2018, 09:55:57 PM »
If you are a descendant of the Belfast artist Joseph Dempsey (c. 1874-1954) please get in touch.  :)

JimG

Re: Joseph Dempsey, Belfast artist
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 10:41:19 PM »

I am not connected however thought I would find out more an ulster artist. you will know all of this  ie his family all well educated and Catholic from the census see http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

Neal Dempsey b~1836 Co Antrim Commercial traveller m~  1863 Mary XXXXX  b~1831[c1901] b~1842 [c1911]
children she had 12 children with 10 living in 1911 missing so this list incomplete
Mary Dempsey             b~1873 [c 1901]    b~ 1865[c1911]    machinist   
Patrick Dempsey    b~1875 [c 1901] not listed [c 1911] in this home   insurance agent
John   Dempsey           b~1876 [c 1901]     b~1868 [c 1911] clerk commercial then Bakery
Rosetta Dempsey   b~ 1877 [c 1901]   b ~1871[c1911]     machinist
Joseph Dempsey [aka Neal Joseph Dempsey] b[c 1901] b~1875 [c1911] [d1954 Eugene] Artist
Jane Dempsey           b~1880 [c 1901]   b~1876 [c1911]housekeeper
Daniel   Dempsey   b~1881 [c 1901] not listed [c1911] in this home   Post Office official
Teresa Dempsey    b~1884 [c 1901] not listed [c1911] in this home   still at school 1901   

residences
1901 6 in Cavendish Square (Falls Ward, Antrim)
1911 1.7 in Cavendish Square (Falls, Antrim)

1918 street directory http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk includes the following
Dempsey, D., postal official, Norfolk Drive Dempsey, John, secretary Bernard Hughes Ltd., 6 Cavendish Square
Dempsey, Jos., designer, illuminator, and lithographer, 133 Donegall Street
Dempsey, Maria, 2 Empress Buildings, Ravenhill Road
Dempsey, Mrs., 54 Thorndale Avenue
Dempsey, Mrs., servants' registry, 53a York Street
Dempsey, Patrick, J.P., Brookvale House, Cliftonville Avenue
Dempsey, Patk., assurance agent, 7 Cavendish Square

joseph still going in 1932 and 1951 but not found in 1960

I had hoped to find more about this creative celtic illuminator but all I found was hundreds of his adverts 1900-1910 period in the Irish news and others newspapers as he started his business and later. I donít have access to
Theo Snoddy, Dictionary of Irish Artists: 20th Century
Irish art illumination. A piece designed by Joseph Dempsey of Belfast. Main Author: Deane, Arthur Citation: Belfast Municipal Art Gallery and Museum Quarterly Notes , No. V, March, 1907Format:   Journal Article Published:March, 1907 Subjects: Celtic Art Illumination > Books > Manuscripts
Neal Joseph Dempsey see http://www.belfastfamilyhistory.com/showItem.php?id=3704&year=1911&type=person
THE IRISH NEWS AND BELFAST MORNING NEWS. FRIDAY, JULY 11, 1902
address. The address is a moat artistic specimen of the illuminatorís art, and reflects great credit on the artist, Mr. Joseph Dempsey, 133 Donegall Street. A handsome frame encloses the address on which is represented the ancient Cathedral of St. Canioe see newspapers index
So I hope you find more biograpy and more recent family
good luck

Eugene Dunphy

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 10:59:30 PM »
Fascinating Jim. Thank you so much! At present, I have quite a bit of information on his life and a comprehensive list of his works - but I have only managed to trace three one-page illustrations. He mostly designed and produced presentation addresses in book form which were usually presented to notable people such as bishops, viscounts and bank officials. He also designed calendars and large banners made of silk or poplin for marching bands. It seems that his work was known in parts America, Canada and Australia.

If you can find any more, please let me know. Thanks again. You've been very kind.  :)
Eugene.

JimG

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 10:38:10 AM »

picking at straws, from https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
some possibles without any clues

Death of NEAL DEMPSEY in 1905 Belfast aged 6
Birth of JOSEPH DEMPSEY in 1872 Belfast Mother's Birth Surname   N/R
Marriage of JOSEPH DEMPSEY and ADELAIDE HENDERSON 01 September 1909 Belfast
Marriage of JOSEPH DEMPSEY and CATHERINE CAMPBELL 25 March 1903 Belfast

did I mention this book
THE ARTS AND CRAFTS MOVEMENT  -MAKING IT IRISH
Edited By Vera Kreilkamp
McMullen Museum Of Art, Boston College
Library of Congress Control Number: 2015960860
ISBN: 978-1-892850-25-6 Distributed by the University of Chicago Press
Printed in the United States of America © 2016 The Trustees of Boston College
where Joseph Dempsey he has 4 lines not mentioning his training at Marcus Ward
The book reproduces an example of his work thus
85. Joseph Dempsey
Specimen of Celtic Art: Fashioned after Monogram Page in the
Book of Kells, c. 1900   Illumination on paper, 70.2 x 53.7 cm
Private collection
note the Marcus Ward internationally renowned company produced many beautiful objects and allowed him to advertise his own business producing illuminations saying he was Marcus Ward trained.   He went overboard in his continuous advertising in 1900-1910 in his advertisements. Perhaps his trade use of Art knocked him and even the same for Marcus Ward s him out of ascetic art and folk art history. Its difficult to remember he produced a oneoff not something to be printed in 1000s of copies like a book. to me its exactly the same as being commissioned to doing a work of art, excepthe did his owm method of raising the commission. More power to him.

I found 2 more examples at https://www.nmni.com/collections/belumw2012715
this is easy for anyone to look up and judge his artwork

Eugene Dunphy

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 01:25:59 PM »
I know that Joseph's father (Neal) died in January 1905. I must now check to see who Joseph married and have a look at the Vera Kreilkamp (Boston College) book.

Joseph's parents (Neal and Mary) were from Loughgiel, County Antrim. They moved from there to Belfast in the 1880s. Joseph's brother John became Managing Director of Hughes' Bakeries in Belfast and invented and patented the 'Dempsey Oven'. The Dempsey boys were closely associated with sports, particularly GAA.

Many thanks. We'll keep hunting!
E.

JimG

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 05:19:29 PM »

Apologies Neal was 66 not 6 when he died.  Do you know all or most of this below
Loughguile (/lɒxˈɡiːl/ lokh-GEEL; derived from Irish: Loch gCaol, meaning "thin lake"),[1] also spelt Loughgiel or Loughgeel, is a small village and civil parish in County Antrim, Northern Ireland. Situated 8 miles east of Ballymoney it is within the Causeway Coast and Glens Council area, and is at the edge of the Glens of Antrim. It had a population of 396 people (128 households) in the 2011 Census.[2] source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loughguile

1669 hearth money rolls see http://www.billmacafee.com
some possible nearby ancestors
5165   Dempsey   O Dempsey   James   Antrim Lower   Glenwhirry   Skerrywhirry   Dunduffe
5166   Dempsey   O Dempsey   Widow   Antrim Lower   Glenwhirry   Skerrywhirry   Dunduffe
5167   Dempsey   O Demsey   Widow   Antrim Lower   Glenwhirry   Skerrywhirry   Dunduffe
4519   Dempsey   Demsey   Widow   Antrim Lower   Skerry   Glenravel Valley   Glenravall
6052   Dempsey   Ademsy   Patr   Glenarm Lower   Layd   Ballyfad   Ballyfadye
1900   Dempsey   O'Dempsey   Bryan   Kilconway   Finvoy   Ballynagarvey   Ballynegarvy
1926   Dempsey   O'Dempsey   Manus   Kilconway   Finvoy   Maddydoo   Madyduffe
1927   Dempsey   O'Dempsey   Richard    Kilconway   Finvoy   Maddydoo   Madyduffe

1796 The flax Growers of Ireland https://www.failteromhat.com/flax/antrim.php
Dempsey              Charles                 Billy              Antrim
Dempsey              James                   Billy              Antrim
Dempsy                Neal                    Loughguile         Antrim

1832 The Tithe Applotment Books  index shows http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/antrim/tithe-applotments/loughguile-parish.php#.W8yKKS-ZNEI
Dempsey, Patk. Townland: Corkey Middle Year: 1832
Dempsey, Richd. Townland: Carrivecashell Year: 1832
originals in PRONI Belfast its one liners describing quality of land mountain bog or better

1861 Griffiths Valuation gives
DEMPSEY   RICHARD   ANTRIM   LOUGHGUILE    map ref 2 Carrivcashel townland
DEMPSEY   JOHN      ANTRIM   LOUGHGUILE    map ref 15 Magherahon   
DEMPSEY   JOHN      ANTRIM   LOUGHGUILE    map ref 16 Shanes   
DEMPSEY   JOHN      ANTRIM   LOUGHGUILE    no map ref  Corkey, Middle   
DEMPSEY   NEAL      ANTRIM   LOUGHGUILE    map ref 17  Corkey, Middle   
DEMPSEY   JOHN      ANTRIM   LOUGHGUILE    map ref 6  Corkey, Middle   
DEMPSEY   NEAL      ANTRIM   LOUGHGUILE    map ref 8  Corkey, Middle   
DEMPSEY   JOHN      ANTRIM   LOUGHGUILE    map ref 9  Corkey, Middle   
DEMPSEY   NEAL      ANTRIM   LOUGHGUILE map ref 9  Corkey, Middle
lists value of house and size of farm or field or small garden, you can also look up the boundary of the property, the outline of a building and switch to satellite then street scene and drive nearby roads as they are today hopefully catching view of a homestead or two or newly built on the site etc.

have you signed up for free and tried http://www.ballymoneyancestry.com/intranet_login.aspx?page_id=5&redirect_url=/ballymoney-family-searches.aspx

you can glean from the census the Dempsey Middle Corkey etc are still living there in 1911

John the brother and much about Hughes Bakery, inc this topic  are in the search engine for this site see top rh corner

Church records for LOUGHGUILE, CO. ANTRIM  exist in microfiche etc at the PRONI [unless The church of Latter day Saint has copies  a at local church.]
C.I. Loughguile (Connor diocese)
[Earliest registers destroyed in Dublin]
Baptisms, 1802-14 and 1876-1910; marriages, 1846- 1935; burials, 1879-1999; vestry minutes, 1801-1930; preachersí books, 1843-1992.
Register of vestrymen, 1892-.
P. Ballyweany
Baptisms, 1862-1967; marriages, 1845-1900; communion roll, 1862-1939.
R.C. Loughguile (Down and Connor diocese) Baptisms, 1845-81; marriages, 1845-69

The Arts Council for Northern ireland might just have a file about him.the same for ulster museum and folk museum

I am stopping at this point, and am sending you a short pm re his output. good luck

Loneygrandchild

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 11:38:17 PM »
If you are a descendant of the Belfast artist Joseph Dempsey (c. 1874-1954) please get in touch.  :)
Hi Eugene, I have some burial info on this family if you are interested or don't have it already.
LGC
Dempsey Rooney McGivern Nolan Hughes O'Neill Bogue O'Hara Boyle Madden Donnelly Downey Fegan Foster Farr Sheils McCormack Gracey Gallagher McDowell

Eugene Dunphy

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 01:10:59 PM »
Sounds interesting! I have Joseph's obituary from the Irish News but if you have anything else, pleases do let me know.  :)

Loneygrandchild

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 12:45:17 AM »
Sounds interesting! I have Joseph's obituary from the Irish News but if you have anything else, pleases do let me know.  :)
Hi Eugene, if this research is correct then it is the family of your Joseph/Neal Dempsey.
1864 Mary: died 1949
1865 Patrick: married Jane Magill. Patrick died 1942 & Jane 1907.
1867 John: died either 1930 or 1933.
1868 Catherine: married Henry Deeny.
1870 Rosetta: died 1934.
1871 Lucretia: died 1894.
1873 Neil Joseph: died 1954.
1875 Jane: no other info.
1877 Francis. no other info.
1878 Margaret: died 1885.
1880 Daniel: died 1935.
1882 Teresa: married George Martin.
I have birth, death, burial, marriage & records of children for this family.
If you PM me your email address I can send you the info/documents I have saved.
Are you related to this family or just interested in Joseph?
I would be interested in Josephs obituary if you could send it to me please.
LGC
Dempsey Rooney McGivern Nolan Hughes O'Neill Bogue O'Hara Boyle Madden Donnelly Downey Fegan Foster Farr Sheils McCormack Gracey Gallagher McDowell

Eugene Dunphy

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 11:21:56 PM »
Thanks so much for this. Once I figure out how to send a private message, I'll be in touch - soon.

Eugene Dunphy

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 05:37:59 PM »
Still trying to figure out how to send PM. I'm sure it's straightforward. ???

Loneygrandchild

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 06:46:24 PM »
Hi Eugene, check your Facebook please.
LGC

Dan Dempsey

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 11:02:49 AM »
Eugene

Joseph Dempsey was a brother of my grandfather Dan Dempsey.

I have one of his paintings .It is a thatched cottage in the Black Mountain Belfast.

Regards

Dan Dempsey