Author Topic: Vegetable roll & Ulster Fry  (Read 550 times)

Noel P

Vegetable roll & Ulster Fry
« on: October 19, 2018, 03:41:49 PM »

Does anyone know a butcher who goes back & forth across the Larne/Cairnryan crossing who delivers vegetable roll to a retailer in Scotland? Can't get it here and my elderly mother keeps talking about it.

Another thing (wondering if it still exists) is Ulster Fry. Now, I don't mean a cooked Breakfast. When I was wee butchers (in N.I.) sold this item which looked a bit like a turkey rasher in shape but had a plastic rind and was processed I presume. About 20 years ago, I thought I'd bring some back to Scotland and when I asked the wee girl in the Larne shop, she looked at me as if I was daft. She kept talking about a cooked breakfast but seemed completely unaware of this item. Any ideas where it can be obtained on this side of the pond or perhaps it just died out: it was not very high-brow :))

Cheers!

Clint

Re: Vegetable roll & Ulster Fry
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 01:23:54 AM »
I think I know what your talking about  ??? google breakfast strips  :)

Noel P

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 04:25:21 PM »
Thanks Clint! Similar but not quite the same  ???

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 07:36:39 AM »
From memory, I think Ulster Fry looked like the modern manufactured Turkey Bacon.
I would imagine it was different meat trimmings / scraps, mixed together with binders and spices, and sliced like bacon strips. ???

I suppose it was like sausages during, and just after World War 2 ---  mystery meat, you never knew what was in it.... :o

https://www.chowhound.com/post/case-mysterious-vanishing-breakfast-slices-619986

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

irish colleen

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 06:54:11 PM »
Some one  on the forum  was a butcher  cant remember who though  maybe he would have recipe for veggie roll  somewgere jn mh old bokks i think i might have the recipe  now j ponder a wee big i think the buther gugs name was Arkie on here not positive but wirth the try 
HAPPINESS IS BEING IRISH

Noel P

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 08:57:19 PM »

Thanks Bloomfield! Sounds about right. Began to wonder if I'd imagined it, not helped by the fact youngsters have hi-jacked the term "Ulster Fry" to name an Ulster cooked breakfast, in general.

From memory, I think Ulster Fry looked like the modern manufactured Turkey Bacon.
I would imagine it was different meat trimmings / scraps, mixed together with binders and spices, and sliced like bacon strips. ???

I suppose it was like sausages during, and just after World War 2 ---  mystery meat, you never knew what was in it.... :o

https://www.chowhound.com/post/case-mysterious-vanishing-breakfast-slices-619986

Noel P

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 08:59:20 PM »

Thanks Colleen!

I'll see if I can find Arkie and his recipes.

Some one  on the forum  was a butcher  cant remember who though  maybe he would have recipe for veggie roll  somewgere jn mh old bokks i think i might have the recipe  now j ponder a wee big i think the buther gugs name was Arkie on here not positive but wirth the try

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 11:51:27 PM »
Does anyone know a butcher who goes back & forth across the Larne/Cairnryan crossing who delivers vegetable roll to a retailer in Scotland? Can't get it here and my elderly mother keeps talking about it.

Another thing (wondering if it still exists) is Ulster Fry. Now, I don't mean a cooked Breakfast. When I was wee butchers (in N.I.) sold this item which looked a bit like a turkey rasher in shape but had a plastic rind and was processed I presume. About 20 years ago, I thought I'd bring some back to Scotland and when I asked the wee girl in the Larne shop, she looked at me as if I was daft. She kept talking about a cooked breakfast but seemed completely unaware of this item. Any ideas where it can be obtained on this side of the pond or perhaps it just died out: it was not very high-brow :) )

Cheers!
Noel, I'm very late to this but I can tell you that a couple of years ago on a visit I was recommended this place.  What a thrill to find someone who not only sold all the Irish breakfast stuff, vegetable roll, beef sausages, black puddings etc, but would send via post any orders you wanted.  Would recommend  phoning for anything you would like to order & have delivered.  My 90 year old mother was like a pig in pooh when we surprised her with all the Irish breakfast delights & I myself & other family members were in heaven tucking into everything that we remembered eating in Belfast as children... the butcher couldn't get over my leaping around his counter ordering everything I could get my hands on.  Only for my hand luggage constraints I would have had a 20kg suitcase load checked in on the  plane back home!!   McClenaghan Family Butchers  Market Place, Magherafelt 028 7963 3660  I bet he'll even remember me, we certainly do his meat & the other delights we bought from him.  Enjoy !!

Noel P

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 11:59:17 PM »
That sounds great! Thanks very much. I'll give them a ring.