Author Topic: samuel thompson - international football referee  (Read 1357 times)

orangelil

samuel thompson - international football referee
« on: August 07, 2006, 12:24:08 PM »
my great granny's brother was Samuel Thompson, international football referee.  He definitely refereed matches from 1932- 34.  he lived to be around 100 and had his picture in the belfast telegraph when he died in the 1980s.  i have a birth date of circa 1887.  I know he lived in ?avondene? off the somerton road.  any information on him or his family, or where to look for more info would be greatly appreciated. thanks
McGarvey (Cookstown), McAree (Monaghan), Rice (Saintfield), McDonald (Ballinderry), Totton (Ballinderry), Thompson (Belfast), O'Raw (Randalstown)

Christopher

Re: samuel thompson - international football referee
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 09:00:50 PM »
Hiya Karen, have you any idea when Samuel lived off the Somerton Road? "Avondene" may have been the name of a house. I'd like to know the date as I can't find him in the 1960 Directory for Belfast and Northern Ireland. Is that the address where the family lived at the time or his birth or when he was an international referee? A few more dates would be extremely useful. 

orangelil

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 11:00:16 PM »
christopher, unfortunately i don't have much info on him at the moment.  My mum knows he was living off the Somerton when he died circa 1987.  Her only memory of a street was Avondene.  This could be wrong.  He had 6 siblings who signed the ulster covenant in 1912, at 14 distillery street.  I know that his parents were George and Jennie Thompson, but this is as far back as I can get with this side of my family.  any pointers much appreciated.
McGarvey (Cookstown), McAree (Monaghan), Rice (Saintfield), McDonald (Ballinderry), Totton (Ballinderry), Thompson (Belfast), O'Raw (Randalstown)

Christopher

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 02:15:29 AM »
Hiya Karen,

I've problems here. Samuel would have been 73 in 1960. The street directory is showing very few Samuels living on their own and international football referee is not under trades and professions (he would be retired from that anyway). Would he be something Samuel? On the other hand he may have married and had a family and been living with one of the children.

There is no point giving you a list of employed Samuels unless one of them would be a son. There's an Alderman S. B. Thompson at 170, Malone Road and Samuel Thompson, 10 Keadyville Avenue (that's at 31, Shore Raod). T'm having no luck finding a street called Avondene. There was an Avoniel but that was East Belfast.

Christopher

ella

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 07:39:24 PM »
my grandmothers brother was also samuel thompson. his last address was somerton rd.  he died in the royal hospital about 1992. my grandmother was lettia thompson.  i remember one of her sisters lived near the royal called ellie another sister lived in denorton park east belfast, which is where we lived.  he was the only boy , so it must be six sisters.  he adopted two children as they had none of their own.    i know my mother told me granny came from distillery st.

ella

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 07:46:46 PM »
p s he refereed four matches between england and scotland at wembley.

Christopher

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 02:57:53 AM »
p s he refereed four matches between england and scotland at wembley.

14th April 1934  (British Championship)
ENGLAND - SCOTLAND  3-0  (1-0)
Referee:   Samuel Thompson (Northern Ireland)
Crowd:     92.363, Wembley Stadium, London

Source: geocities.com  Scottish Football Archives

ella

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 01:50:22 AM »
14th April 1934  (British Championship)
ENGLAND - SCOTLAND  3-0  (1-0)
Referee:   Samuel Thompson (Northern Ireland)
Crowd:     92.363, Wembley Stadium, London

Source: geocities.com  Scottish Football Archives

ella

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 01:57:31 AM »
are there any relatives out there belonging to samuel thompson. other than orange lil and myself.  would love to know where his medals would be he received for refereeing the world cups.  he had other sisters, ellen and jessie, any siblings that know anything?

ric

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 09:15:28 PM »
I have just found this site tonight...  Samuel Thompson was my Great Grandfather...

ric

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 09:32:15 PM »
He gave Sir Stanley Matthews his first international cap for England when they beat Wales 4-0 in Cardiff.  If you search on Google for "england wales 1934 picture" you will see a number of photos from the match and my wee Granda is in three of them (one of which i couldn't believe my luck when i found it as it's the captains from both teams and my wee Granda at the toss of the coin before kick-off).  I'm pretty sure he died in 1992, at 101yrs old in the Royal Victoria Hospital Geriatric Unit.  There was a picture in the Belfast Telegraph of him on his 100th birthday, which i was there for.  The picture in the paper was him with Alan Snoddy (NI international referee from the 80's/90's and a load of memorbilia - linesmans flag, World Cup '90 ball).  I have another photo of me in it with them, which the paper didn't use.

ric

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 06:59:04 PM »
test

ric

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 06:59:22 PM »
test 2

ric

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 06:59:32 PM »
test 3

Bread Basket

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 07:21:44 PM »
RIC,
Hope you enjoy this one.
12 years ago I found a similar thing.... my Granda boxing in 1923

Enjoy.

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/england-wins-beware-other-items-share-this-title

Love yer Granda’s jacket 👍🏼👏👏👏👏👏