Author Topic: Dealing with PRONI  (Read 304 times)

BigCol

Dealing with PRONI
« on: November 18, 2018, 10:27:17 AM »
Former Belfaster now living in Australia.

I have been doing the genealogy thing for a number of years and I am still banking my head against a brick wall of my direct paternal ancestor John Boreland born in 1778. I know he was a soldier in the Dragoon Guards and was pensioned out in 1814. He married a Susannah Kinmare (or possibly Kenmuir) in Aghalee in 1814. His army record records his birth place as Seapatrick but I still think it more likely Ballymoney / Kilraughts area. His wifes details beyond name elude me.

Has anyone had experience of dealing with the PRONI research dept from a distance (that is requesting a search without actually attending in person)? I know they have the records from Aghalee at the time I need and it is my hope that may contain a detail that will help me break down this wall (father's name especially). It appears crazy expensive but I don't know how long the search may take.

BTW - if anyone requires assistance in tracing Australian sources i'd be more than happy to help if I can.

Elwyn

Re: Dealing with PRONI
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 10:54:23 AM »
PRONI will do simple short searches. So, for example, if you are looking for a particular baptism and know roughly where and when the event took place, they will usually do it for you (For a fee). What they wonít do is trawling searches. So if you are looking for say, all Boreland baptisms 1770 Ė 1800 in the whole Seapatrick area, they probably wonít do that. Likewise if you donít know where in a county some event took place. Too time consuming to search all the possible records. If you have a specific request, you e-mail them and theyíll then tell you whether they are willing to do it, and how much it costs. You have to pay in advance, as I understand it.

If you donít like PRONIís fees or they wonít do it, you could contact local researchers and ask one of them to do it for you.  Researchers in the PRONI area: http://sgni.net

I go to PRONI from time to time, and I may be able to do the research for you. If interested, send me a PM with details of precisely what you are hoping to find.

Elwyn

BigCol

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 11:19:39 AM »
Thank you very much for the info, Elwyn. As you suggested I have sent a request to Proni and I hope they can help.

Since I have a date and location it shouldn't be too involved a search.

JimG

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 05:02:43 PM »
 have you checked http://www.rosdavies.com/SURNAMES/B/BoaBot.htmeg[/font][/color]
Thomas BORELAND     .           Hillsborough  of Lisadian; son of John Boreland ( a pensioner); married Mary Rogan 6 Feb 1847 aged 20 at Lisburn Registry Office; father of Thomas b. 1 Mar 1869  BVR; CR; Eric Rogan [/font][/color]
together with two handfuls of Boreland,,Borland[/font][/color]