Author Topic: Gary Lightbody ( Snow Patrol) slams NI politicians on MH  (Read 671 times)

stickleback

Gary Lightbody ( Snow Patrol) slams NI politicians on MH
« on: November 18, 2018, 06:39:37 PM »

Northern Ireland has the highest suicide rate in the UK.

Gary Lightbody, the singer of Snow Patrol, who suffers from depression himself, doesn't mince his words. Whilst the so called politicians of Northern Ireland nitpick and argue amongst themselves people are literally killing themselves.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-46240512

Snow Patrol

Run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOBs8dU4Pb8

JackM

Re: Gary Lightbody ( Snow Patrol) slams NI politicians on MH
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 05:06:36 PM »
I wonder where he lives these days ?   :D
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.

Nowhere man

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 07:21:13 AM »

As far as I am aware he moved back. He mentioned it in an interview recently.
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Already Taken.

Dot/dash

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 10:20:39 AM »

why the  ' rolling on the floor laughing '   symbol ?               the guy is discussing a serious mental

health problem             of almost epidemic proportions           have you ever had mental health

problems ?             if so you'd be more sympathetic            how very blasť of you        :(
love me       love my gelding    

GandT

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 10:26:07 PM »
I have only the very vaguest idea who Snow Patrol are and would not recognise a single one of them - including Gary Lightbody. Like everyone else, Gary is entitled to his opinion and, since he speaks from some experience, deserves as much attention as any other member of the NI public - but no more, no less! That he has a high profile with some people is good in that it raises [in a very brief and transitory way] issues of mental health and contributes very marginally to public awareness - a good thing. Why he should be accorded newspaper space and so on is up to newspapers. But, Sting, Bob Geldof and Bono [for God's sake]they do something very worthwhile and then we are forced to endure their opinions on every subject they decide to highlight. They become irritants rather than crusaders.

Just imagine that Gary is of the opinion that NI politicians are neglecting or relegating important issues like mental health - well, shiver me timbers!Gary - thanks for joining the thousands who are letting them know this in numbers greater than Snow Patrol. Maybe you would come and visit  constituency offices in areas you've only heard of on the news.

derdrei

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 11:22:58 AM »
very sad poor guy is going through mental health issues he could do with support  :(

Sally Ann

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 04:17:31 AM »
why the  ' rolling on the floor laughing '   symbol ?               the guy is discussing a serious mental

health problem             of almost epidemic proportions           have you ever had mental health

problems ?             if so you'd be more sympathetic            how very blasť of you        :(

With you on that Dot.  Sadly, plebs who have NEVER experiences any form of 'mental health issue's' including ~ such as & mainly, chronic depression etc., don't have a clue!  ??? so love, Why even bother getting into it with them?  They don't understand ~ ~ ~ ~ they never will!   :o
I only got drunk, I never got stupid!

stickleback

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 06:11:03 AM »
I have only the very vaguest idea who Snow Patrol are and would not recognise a single one of them - including Gary Lightbody. Like everyone else, Gary is entitled to his opinion and, since he speaks from some experience, deserves as much attention as any other member of the NI public - but no more, no less! That he has a high profile with some people is good in that it raises [in a very brief and transitory way] issues of mental health and contributes very marginally to public awareness - a good thing. Why he should be accorded newspaper space and so on is up to newspapers. But, Sting, Bob Geldof and Bono [for God's sake]they do something very worthwhile and then we are forced to endure their opinions on every subject they decide to highlight. They become irritants rather than crusaders.

Just imagine that Gary is of the opinion that NI politicians are neglecting or relegating important issues like mental health - well, shiver me timbers!Gary - thanks for joining the thousands who are letting them know this in numbers greater than Snow Patrol. Maybe you would come and visit  constituency offices in areas you've only heard of on the news.

A good post, ruined by a backhanded compliment GandT. It is a mistake to see those with MH issues through a telescope. It's also a mistake to judge anyone supposedly made good through the same lens. Rich or poor, it doesn't matter. MH doesn't inspect the bank balance. Mental health issues can grab anyone at anytime. I have known six suicides in my life and they all hold a little scar in my heart. You might not have the capacity to be understanding and that's okay; most don't. But you have the ability to be kind in spirit.

Nowhere man

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 06:59:21 AM »
In comparison to a lot of cities in England, Belfast has a fair amount of free counselling on offer. These can be at agencies with no waiting list to a 3 month wait. The agencies tend to deal with a wide range of issues. How long these places will be open is another thing.
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Already Taken.

JackM

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 11:49:17 AM »
With you on that Dot.  Sadly, plebs who have NEVER experiences any form of 'mental health issue's' including ~ such as & mainly, chronic depression etc., don't have a clue!  ??? so love, Why even bother getting into it with them?  They don't understand ~ ~ ~ ~ they never will!   :o

Plebs, plebs ? What appalling terminology.  >:(
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.

stickleback

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 01:45:04 PM »
In comparison to a lot of cities in England, Belfast has a fair amount of free counselling on offer. These can be at agencies with no waiting list to a 3 month wait. The agencies tend to deal with a wide range of issues. How long these places will be open is another thing.

Thanks for this post, NM.

jillyfred

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 05:34:51 PM »
Plebs, plebs ? What appalling terminology.  >:D

===
Agree JackM.
Absolutely no need for it if someone has a different view.
Surely on the Forum we are all entitled to our opinion.
Otherwise its just a waste of time posting IMHO.

jilly

ExBuckfastdrinker

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2018, 01:29:13 PM »
He makes a good point but metal health aside isn't he just saying what we already know. The politicians are failing us.

derdrei

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 11:20:27 PM »
He makes a good point but metal health aside isn't he just saying what we already know. The politicians are failing us.
yes looking that way for sure.

HarryHippo

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 11:24:23 PM »
yes looking that way for sure.
' celebrities' are masters at telling us what we already know  ;)
Lux Et Veritas