Author Topic: What's Great About Belfast ?  (Read 1798 times)

stickleback

What's Great About Belfast ?
« on: November 24, 2018, 06:24:55 AM »

I know it's sometimes hard to boast about your home city but most of you will have places you love in Norn Iron/ Belfast.  I think Belfast gets a bad rap, generally. Let loose on your favourite places. It might be a street corner it might be a park. It might be the love of a close knit family, it might be all you know but wishing you had explored elsewhere. Familiarity. Friends. What you know. I know I'd a great childhood there, in the midst of the troubles.

Don't be shy.

jillyfred

Re: What's Great About Belfast ?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 05:55:07 PM »

Not hard at all to boast about Belfast Stickleback!
Always had a terrific time there.
In the late `50`s and `60`s it was a great place to be.
Today-well cannot really give an opinion-other than to say-its not
my scene!
Having said that-glad to see its the scene for the youngsters and the Tourists.

jilly :)

jjmack

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 08:19:32 PM »
Back in the day in the 50's, and 60's it was great. Today, I avoid it like the plague. A nasty, unforgiving city full of bigots, drunks, bums, winos, druggies, low life's, chancers and loudmouths. Sadly well and truly gone to the dogs. Only the mugs or tourists as they are known, rubber necking fall for the bulls..t.
These days to be avoided at all costs. Even the switching on of the Xmas tree lights, is a sectarian brawl.  >:D
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

derdrei

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 11:12:04 PM »
I always loved Belfast even though I had to leave ,at the time it was for the kids ,they have all done so well so it was for the best for them .I will always miss my home town.

ExBuckfastdrinker

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 01:26:04 PM »
I have to agree with JJmack. It has gone to the dogs.

jillyfred

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 03:09:48 PM »
I have to agree with JJmack. It has gone to the dogs.

===
I second that Exbuckfastdrinker-jjmack has hit the nail on the head correctly as he always does.

jilly

HarryHippo

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 03:50:03 PM »
I can see it in the distance .. thats great !!   ;)
Lux Et Veritas

jillyfred

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 05:09:56 PM »
I can see it in the distance .. thats great !!   ;)

===
 :D

henry irwin

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 06:20:40 PM »
 jjmack== mentioned the good points, it really is sad,lots of nice people there of course ,but also a lot of garbage.

wb54

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 08:17:49 PM »
Hi everyone,
                   To me, itís standing on the boat as we sail past Bangor and head on up to Belfast.
                   Watching the Co- Down coast, as the places I remembered as a young lad all
                   them years ago.   Seeing my family, the new houses new streets where the old
                   ones used to be.   For the better? I hope so.

Billy.

ldugan

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 08:46:21 PM »
Back in the day in the 50's, and 60's it was great. Today, I avoid it like the plague. A nasty, unforgiving city full of bigots, drunks, bums, winos, druggies, low life's, chancers and loudmouths. Sadly well and truly gone to the dogs. Only the mugs or tourists as they are known, rubber necking fall for the bulls..t.
These days to be avoided at all costs. Even the switching on of the Xmas tree lights, is a sectarian brawl.  >:D

You could be describing any city centre will all of the above.
Was at the turning on of the Christmas tree lights in Belfast never saw or heard any sectarian brawls. In fact there was no brawls at all.

misssmyth1

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2018, 09:23:17 PM »
 I went back for a few days recently with an invitation and  some pressure   from old friends who came to visit us in London from N I and they  put some extra  pressure and guilt on me to visit . i can honestly say  i will never visit again ever!!!  i have my wonderful memories from my childhood and early teenage years but having experienced this recent holiday my goodness  some people have never moved on and gone on wards and upwards . My husband never felt relaxed and neither did i .. three times we were asked questions about religion in a social environment . because my husband is of a different religion and country than me  many people may have moved on but I feel that  many have not... and some old friends who still live in N I  have even agreed with me ,,,..we all have choices and my choice is never to go to Belfast again  i'm sure I may cause offence but I am posting  my honest opinion...  I married someone from different country and  religion  and we were asked so many questions about what religion  our children were being brought up!!??  they are successful healthy  well balanced adults who are having  a happy well balanced   life and what business is it to anyone what religion  they are  if any at all  it doesn't matter very much to all of us so why should it matter to complete strangers. we have great lives and are so happy and content and feel very fortunate for the freedom to enjoy it all

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2018, 09:26:44 PM »
Good for you Missy... :clapping:

The TRUTH , has set you Free.

Ignore the naysayers .

I haven't been back for 41 years ; I don't think I'm missing anything, going by what I read here on this Forum. ;)

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

White dee

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2018, 09:38:14 PM »
I went back for a few days recently with an invitation and  some pressure   from old friends who came to visit us in London from N I and they  put some extra  pressure and guilt on me to visit . i can honestly say  i will never visit again ever!!!  i have my wonderful memories from my childhood and early teenage years but having experienced this recent holiday my goodness  some people have never moved on and gone on wards and upwards . My husband never felt relaxed and neither did i .. three times we were asked questions about religion in a social environment . because my husband is of a different religion and country than me  many people may have moved on but I feel that  many have not... and some old friends who still live in N I  have even agreed with me ,,,..we all have choices and my choice is never to go to Belfast again  i'm sure I may cause offence but I am posting  my honest opinion...  I married someone from different country and  religion  and we were asked so many questions about what religion  our children were being brought up!!??  they are successful healthy  well balanced adults who are having  a happy well balanced   life and what business is it to anyone what religion  they are  if any at all  it doesn't matter very much to all of us so why should it matter to complete strangers. we have great lives and are so happy and content and feel very fortunate for the freedom to enjoy it all

Unfortunately I'll have to agree with you misssmyth,anyone who try's to say different
is not being honest,it's still there,it has always been there,
The truth will set you free.

Love all, trust few, everything is real but,
Not everyone is true,,
        Buddha

ldugan

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2018, 09:49:17 PM »

misssmyth It is very sad that you are left with horrible memories of your recent visit back home. Unfortunately there are still people who live in the past and cannot move on. Fortunately there are a lot more who have moved on and gone onwards and upwards. It is a pity you did not meet some of them on you visit.  :)