Author Topic: What's Great About Belfast ?  (Read 1629 times)

BLOOMFIELD

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

derdrei

Re: What's Great About Belfast ?
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2018, 12:07:45 PM »
I love Belfast ... but i couldnt eat a whole one !   ;)
Harry what are you on about ,eat a whole one  :D .

jjmack

Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

misssmyth1

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2018, 12:17:38 AM »
Bloomfield that is a shocking report but as I did mention n my post no where  is perfect  do we know why the crime rate has increased so very much?     if anyone has a valid   criticism people think they are disparaging  all of the people in general which is not the case. there are always those that like to cause trouble  and hurt others in some way where ever we live.  sadly.  There are parts of London where i do not feel comfortable  going not  afraid  ... so I avoid those areas . but is is still not the murder capital of the world ..In Brazil  our friends had their  shoes and  all clothes stolen as well as everything they had on them they  were  lucky to be left with his underpants  ..in a popular tourist area of Rio...no money to get back to the hotel .The police I'm told  didn't seem to be too bothered as had  far too much to deal with but they got a lift back to their Hotel..
it happens everywhere . but I still love living here and am hoping that I will continue to feel that way until we retire to Portugal in about 2 years time. but we will always continue  keep  a home here as will miss it and our many friends.  hoe is where the heart is not just where we were born and bred .I was in Belfast 19years. been in London and lived in  different parts of the world  for a year or less over a period of 49 years  so I feel 'international'  not saying to annoy or disparage anyone from any other dwelling place...we live where it suits us .and thank goodness for freedom of  choice.

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2018, 02:17:31 AM »
Missy
I fully understand what you are saying.

A few days ago my Wife was in a local Charity Shop, ( which provides $$ to support a local Home for battered Women ) when a young
clean-cut crying teenager came into the Shop to see if he could get  some help as  he had just been robbed on the Street, and all he was
wearing was a pair of Jeans.  ( and it was cold and wet outside ) :o

My Wife, and the Shop Assistant, offered to provide him with a  coat, he refused, but he did take a  T shirt.

No place is perfect, and  there are  " Baduns " everywhere.
When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

stickleback

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2018, 12:23:16 AM »

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/revealed-worst-streets-in-belfast-city-centre-for-violence-and-sex-assaults-37574663.html

Hold your horses, Bloomers.

How credible is the editorial of The Belfast Telegraph ? It seems hell-bent on painting a gloomy and be grateful for what you've got picture of Belfast? The approach of The London Evening Standard is to paint London as the best city in the world. Which one do you think might be more persuasive to big business ? I'm not saying Belfast can compete with London, but it can definitely present land rental options which are much more attractive to international business than London ( less than one hour away fly-time for those all-important meetings.....tch tch). This will never happen when the city sells itself short. Any business in the world will tell you that PR is important. Why is The Belfast Telegraph selling Belfast short ? Media pessimism has a habit of being contagious, especially in these times.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/27/northern-ireland-happiest-place-uk-ons-wellbeing-survey

derdrei

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2018, 02:28:21 AM »
jjmack== mentioned the good points, it really is sad,lots of nice people there of course ,but also a lot of garbage.
yes and the garbage spoil it for the nice people.

sj

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2018, 02:51:50 AM »
yes and the garbage spoil it for the nice people.

This is an interesting topic and years ago the resounding answer would have been it's people.  So what has changed.   
Maybe it is from the perception of an older Belfast Forum membership just an age thing in that older people don't like to travel or go out at night or in the dark. :o    I also remember the late 50;s and early 60's and it was a great place for me and many people to live and dance .  The girls were tremendous.
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

JackM

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2018, 01:45:01 PM »
What an absolutely appalling place Belfast is these days. Enough to make one deeply ashamed, when one considers, what it used to be like, back in the day.   >:(
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.

misssmyth1

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2018, 02:23:58 PM »
Everywhere was great in the 60s  very happy .. we all had fun until the troubles started and I don't just think it an age thing as wherever we live we want to have freedom of choice and go about our lives in safety, with the usual ups and downs of life. its sometimes bad enough without being restricted to what we can do  or where we can go ..i always wanted to live in London anyway but just came younger and less prepared than I would have wished .  Life has changed everywhere scarcity of good jobs even with having  a good education. salaries are not keeping up with inflation  in any way. and house prices have been berserk here for many years . I have a lot of friends and aquaintances in NI and they all have a very good standard of living . disposable income is high . as not paying exorbitant house prices and travel  free prescriptions etc and it seems easy to obtain a home from the council or housing trust. we know quite a few people who have gone back with plenty of  money to buy but didn't as housing was easy to obtain  please feel free to correct/educate me   as I know you will .I am only going by what they told me personally..

tours

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2018, 02:49:25 PM »
Gandt hits the nail on the head, re: the same lies peddled about this being a great wee place pre 1969.
It simply wasn't.
2018 it's far better.
Very little discrimination in jobs (bar the prison warders and RUC) , housing and one man one vote.
Its a more equal fair society.
Problems of sorts still there, but much better.
GAA tops able to be worn by kids in the city centre along with Linfield tops.
No more gerrymanderd political representation....
I agree that a lot of places in the city centre bring the place down. Tatty.
I do hope we don't go the way of O'Connel Street. It's an absolute embarrassment.
Considering the colonial brutal history in Ulster and Ireland in general, is it any wonder this legacy lives on. Yet no need for violence these days.
Anybody concerned is conversation with people, the religious identity of someone, is simply wrong. I see it less and less these days.
A political debate?? Pull up a chair, and let's talk. 😉
Its a great part of my life, to see the right full reunification of my country Ireland.
I'm entitled to advocate for it. 😎

misssmyth1

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2018, 06:09:31 PM »
I honestly wish the peoples of NI and Ireland in general peace and prosperity .    i wish the Media would' big up ' N.I. and bring business to it and more tourism and anything that would help in general .It would be a lot cheaper for business to be there and bring employment and a positive outlook. but everyone needs to get behind it

MargaretS

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2018, 07:36:58 PM »
What an absolutely appalling place Belfast is these days. Enough to make one deeply ashamed, when one considers, what it used to be like, back in the day.   >:D

catch your self on

White dee

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2018, 08:21:30 PM »
catch your self on

" Back in the day " when the Nationalists didn't have a say  ::)
Love all, trust few, everything is real but,
Not everyone is true,,
        Buddha

HarryHippo

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2018, 08:30:46 PM »
Hmmmm  ???   I suppose it must be Great   .but the surrounding area is Greater !   ;)
Lux Et Veritas