Author Topic: What's Great About Belfast ?  (Read 1799 times)

BLOOMFIELD

Re: What's Great About Belfast ?
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2018, 08:46:35 PM »
Hold your horses, Bloomers.

How credible is the editorial of The Belfast Telegraph ? It seems hell-bent on painting a gloomy and be grateful for what you've got picture of Belfast? The approach of The London Evening Standard is to paint London as the best city in the world. Which one do you think might be more persuasive to big business ? I'm not saying Belfast can compete with London, but it can definitely present land rental options which are much more attractive to international business than London ( less than one hour away fly-time for those all-important meetings.....tch tch). This will never happen when the city sells itself short. Any business in the world will tell you that PR is important. Why is The Belfast Telegraph selling Belfast short ? Media pessimism has a habit of being contagious, especially in these times.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/27/northern-ireland-happiest-place-uk-ons-wellbeing-survey

Don't shoot the Messenger ( ME and my Horses )   ;)     " Figures published by crime-statistics.co.uk "

My  link is up to date  --------------  YOURS is OVER  2 YEARS OLD    :preved:      " Office for National Statistics (ONS) "  which was
taken from a Survey of  only a small number of People.
And, read the COMMENT SECTION, relating to YER LINK.... :)

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

derdrei

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2018, 08:09:52 AM »
Hmmmm  ???   I suppose it must be Great   .but the surrounding area is Greater !   ;)
it is a shame Belfast seems like it has never got back to what it was before the troubles .its like to much damage has been done.

jjmack

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2018, 09:51:20 AM »
it is a shame Belfast seems like it has never got back to what it was before the troubles .its like to much damage has been done.

I think you have just hit the nail, firmly on its head.  O0 O0
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

jjmack

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2018, 09:53:48 AM »
This is an interesting topic and years ago the resounding answer would have been it's people.  So what has changed.   
Maybe it is from the perception of an older Belfast Forum membership just an age thing in that older people don't like to travel or go out at night or in the dark. :o    I also remember the late 50;s and early 60's and it was a great place for me and many people to live and dance .  The girls were tremendous.

It was most certainly a very different place back in the 50's & early 60's. Great place and great fun, as you say.  :)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

stickleback

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2018, 05:46:03 PM »

This has got to be the weirdest self-persecutory survey known to man or beast. It doesn't surprise me. Northern Irish politics thrives on beating up the people it's meant to serve.

Violent incidents in Belfast in 2018.  257.

Number of knife crimes alone in London  ....over 140. Let's not get started on all the other violence,  eh.

Is London violent? Yes, but generally not if you don't go looking for it. I work in so called dangerous areas on the south-side of the river and I never feel fearful.

It's very important how a city portrays itself. Belfast needs to drop this 'hard city' image. It needs to acknowledge the young who were not around during The Troubles and who just want a future.

derdrei

« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2018, 10:46:46 PM »

This has got to be the weirdest self-persecutory survey known to man or beast. It doesn't surprise me. Northern Irish politics thrives on beating up the people it's meant to serve.

Violent incidents in Belfast in 2018.  257.

Number of knife crimes alone in London  ....over 140. Let's not get started on all the other violence,  eh.

Is London violent? Yes, but generally not if you don't go looking for it. I work in so called dangerous areas on the south-side of the river and I never feel fearful.

It's very important how a city portrays itself. Belfast needs to drop this 'hard city' image. It needs to acknowledge the young who were not around during The Troubles and who just want a future.
great post I can relate to big time.

henry irwin

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2018, 12:37:21 PM »
stayed in ,two different guest houses over the  last three years, in belfast they  really went down hill  over the years shoddy they where.

derdrei

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2018, 03:51:13 AM »
I think it will get back to normal given time.

henry irwin

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2018, 12:12:22 PM »
 that would be good.

tours

« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2018, 01:36:54 AM »
Ian og will sort us all out from the Maldives or Sri Lanka....if he comes away from the bar and pool. :)

James James