Author Topic: Kells Family from Castlereagh Road Belfast  (Read 1573 times)

Seasons

Re: Kells Family from Castlereagh Road Belfast
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 09:06:30 PM »
Chevron.

Flip me that format is hideous!!

Go to JIMG reply on the 26th November at 10.36pm - it's easier followed!

:read: 

chevron

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2018, 07:42:59 PM »
seasons how do I send you a P.M.??

Seasons

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2018, 11:12:23 AM »
Hi Chevron. I sent you a PM A few days ago!
If you look at the top of your page on the left hand side 'Messages' Click on this to either send a message or read.
Your Message's should also show up that you have one in your inbox..
Does this help?
Annie

Mountain_Murphy

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 10:34:48 AM »
Hi Season,  I just came across this forum by accident - but if you are looking for relatives it would seem that I'm one.  My father was Joseph Kells, son of Joseph, son of James Kells and Mary Yarr.  I've got lots of family history but can't get back any further than James and Mary.  James was born in Monaghan but I cannot find out where.  It's very close to Cavan and if we could link up to the Cavan Kells family we could jump back hundreds of years - but I can't find the link.

Mountain_Murphy

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 11:35:37 AM »
Hi Season,  If you are looking for relatives it would seem that I am one.  I am the daughter of Joseph, son of Joseph, son of James Kells (1849 - 1905) who was married to Mary Yarr (1855 - 1914).  Annie was my great aunt.  I started doing my family history some years ago so have plenty of information.

JimG

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 12:03:34 PM »
Mountain Murphy
not knowing what you know going back in time
Griffiths valuation about 1861
Kells   Francis   Carnroe   Currin   Monaghan
Kells   Richard   Carnroe   Currin   Monaghan

Kells   James      Creeran   Currin   Monaghan

Kells   William   Derrins   Currin   Monaghan

Kells   John      Drumborisk   Currin   Monaghan

Kells   William   Drumreenagh   Currin   Monaghan

Kells   Frances   Lisnalee   Currin   Monaghan

Kells   John      Lurganboy   Currin   Monaghan

Kells   William   Tullynample   Currin   Monaghan

Kells   Abraham   Mullaghboy   Killeevan   Monaghan 

Tithes http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/results.jsp?surname=kells&firstname=&county=Monaghan&parish=&townland=&search=Search
Kells   John      Clonagun   Clones   Monaghan   1832
however the tithes are incomplete so I wouldnít treat this John as the first Kells in Co Monaghan

I tried Flax Growers of Ireland, 1796 - County Monaghan without success https://www.failteromhat.com/flax/monaghan.php

I think you need to exhaust https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/ and possibly go onto the Co Monaghan board and check further  church records

https://www.johngrenham.com/surnamescode/surname_variants_locations.php?surname=kells
etc
good luck onwards
ps its possible a neighbouring townland/civil parish to the county border with cavan would be the hurdle jumped but my geography isn't up to it.

Seasons

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 01:09:28 PM »
Hi Season,  If you are looking for relatives it would seem that I am one.  I am the daughter of Joseph, son of Joseph, son of James Kells (1849 - 1905) who was married to Mary Yarr (1855 - 1914).  Annie was my great aunt.  I started doing my family history some years ago so have plenty of information.

Hi Mountain Murphy.

So delighted you've got in touch! I'm going forward to this time and space we are now in 2019! I need to try and contact a Family Member of the Annie KELLS/Kerr Family as I'm very Keen to locate Nursing Records when Annie ran a Mother and Baby Unit at 110 Castlereagh Road Belfast.. If you read some of my messages on this board you will see Annie married later in life to a Robert John Kerr - I read Annie's WILL just a few days ago and now need to try and trace her 2 Nephews - if living - their surname is - Crossley - Sons off her Sister Edith Bella Kells/Crossley. I need go back to PRONI to try and find their marriages and possible families that would be living now!

Does any of this ring a bell with you?

Shall I DM you further information for your perusal?

Please do keep in touch.

Kindness Seasons

sam barry

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 03:02:37 PM »
Just in case you don't have this :
Record Type
Civil Marriage Date of Marriage 12 Jul 1916
Groom Name John CROSSLEY
Bride Name Edith KELLS
Church Cregagh Methodist Church
Parish Knockbreda
Civil District Belfast
County Down.

Here is 1 son:
U/1917/58/1007/62/96   David   Crossley   26th April 1917   Male   Kells   Belfast

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1916/09784/5551533.pdf

Any family born after 1918 would not yet be on line.

Edith's death:

Record details
Name of deceased   Edith B Crossley
Last place of residence   95 Cregagh Road
Age   79
Sex   NK
Date of death   11 February 1975
Date of burial   14 February 1975
Cemetery   Roselawn Cemetery
Grave section and number   E 771
Burial Type   Earth Burial

Others in the same grave:

Occupants of grave E 771, Roselawn Cemetery
Forename   Surname   Age   Date of death   Date of burial   Cemetery    Details   
Edith B   Crossley   79   11 February 1975   14 February 1975   Roselawn Cemetery   
Richard   Kells   71 Years   12 May 1961   15 May 1961   Roselawn Cemetery
Eliz   Kerr   91   9 September 1971   11 September 1971   Roselawn Cemetery      

Seasons

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 07:29:12 PM »
Hi Sam

Thank you for taking time to do this - its much appreciated. I do have some of this information but NOT all, every little snippet is vital at this stage!

Seasons

CMcG

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 02:48:08 AM »
In addition to David b.1917, a son William James Crossley was born on 12 June 1919 to parents William John Crossley and Edith Kells of 110 Castlereagh Road, the informant at civil birth registration was Ann Kells.

Note address in the following:
https://dof.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialRecordDetails.aspx?RecordID=8081.4761

Belfast Telegraph, 29 April 1947:
CROSSLEY - April 28, 1947, at Royal Victoria Hospital, William John, beloved husband of Edith Crossley, 144a Ravenhill Avenue.

Belfast Telegraph, 19 October 1942 (photo caption):
Mr. and Mrs. J. Crossley, 144a Ravenhill Ave., have been notified that their son, Cpl. David Crossley (25), R.A.F., is a prisoner in Italy.  He had been in the R.A.F. six years and went to the Middle East two years ago.  A brother Barry is with the artillery in Iraq, and another brother, William, is serving with the Royal Corps of Signals.

Belfast Telegraph, 14 October 1946 (photo caption):
BELFAST MAN MEETS FIANCEE AFTER FIVE YEARS. - Mr. David Crossley, 144a Ravenhill Avenue, with Miss Lucy Punelli, of Cairo, the daughter of an Italian father and Scottish mother, whom he met in Cairo five years ago.  At the time of their meeting Miss Punelli was a teacher of English at St. Mary's Convent in Cairo, while Mr. Crossley was serving with the R.A.F.  Later he was captured in Tobruk and lost sight of Miss Punelli.  On arriving home on release, he advertised in Near East papers for news of her.  Miss Punelli saw the advertisement and flew to England to get married.

Northampton Mercury, 18 September 1942:
A member of the Hanslope W.V.S., Miss Lilian Joan Brooks, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. Brooks, The Forge, Hanslope, Bucks., was married on Saturday at St. James's Church, Hanslope, to Mr. William James Crossley, of the Royal Corps of Signals, formerly a radio officer in the Merchant Navy, second son of Mr. and Mrs. W.J. Crossley, 144a Ravenhill-avenue, Belfast.

The 'FreeBMD' website shows the above marriage registered in North Bucks. district.

The 'Ancestry' website has a private family tree entitled 'Siobhan Crossley-James  Family Tree' which contains an entry for the name 'Barry Joseph Crossley' with the birth detail '1922 Northern Ireland', which may or may not be relevant.   

Seasons

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2019, 11:26:06 AM »
In addition to David b.1917, a son William James Crossley was born on 12 June 1919 to parents William John Crossley and Edith Kells of 110 Castlereagh Road, the informant at civil birth registration was Ann Kells.

Note address in the following:
https://dof.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialRecordDetails.aspx?RecordID=8081.4761

Belfast Telegraph, 29 April 1947:
CROSSLEY - April 28, 1947, at Royal Victoria Hospital, William John, beloved husband of Edith Crossley, 144a Ravenhill Avenue.

Belfast Telegraph, 19 October 1942 (photo caption):
Mr. and Mrs. J. Crossley, 144a Ravenhill Ave., have been notified that their son, Cpl. David Crossley (25), R.A.F., is a prisoner in Italy.  He had been in the R.A.F. six years and went to the Middle East two years ago.  A brother Barry is with the artillery in Iraq, and another brother, William, is serving with the Royal Corps of Signals.

Belfast Telegraph, 14 October 1946 (photo caption):
BELFAST MAN MEETS FIANCEE AFTER FIVE YEARS. - Mr. David Crossley, 144a Ravenhill Avenue, with Miss Lucy Punelli, of Cairo, the daughter of an Italian father and Scottish mother, whom he met in Cairo five years ago.  At the time of their meeting Miss Punelli was a teacher of English at St. Mary's Convent in Cairo, while Mr. Crossley was serving with the R.A.F.  Later he was captured in Tobruk and lost sight of Miss Punelli.  On arriving home on release, he advertised in Near East papers for news of her.  Miss Punelli saw the advertisement and flew to England to get married.

Northampton Mercury, 18 September 1942:
A member of the Hanslope W.V.S., Miss Lilian Joan Brooks, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. Brooks, The Forge, Hanslope, Bucks., was married on Saturday at St. James's Church, Hanslope, to Mr. William James Crossley, of the Royal Corps of Signals, formerly a radio officer in the Merchant Navy, second son of Mr. and Mrs. W.J. Crossley, 144a Ravenhill-avenue, Belfast.

The 'FreeBMD' website shows the above marriage registered in North Bucks. district.

The 'Ancestry' website has a private family tree entitled 'Siobhan Crossley-James  Family Tree' which contains an entry for the name 'Barry Joseph Crossley' with the birth detail '1922 Northern Ireland', which may or may not be relevant.

CMcG.

Many Thanks for taking the time! I'ts these 3 Boys that I am searching for especially Barry Joseph - he was the youngest of the boys - I will try and find Siobhan Crossley - James on Ancestry UK - THIS is a vital find in my search for answers.

What a wonderful Love story for David and Lucy!!

I was unaware that Edith and John had 3 boys - I could only find 2! William and Barry - so this is a big help!

However, I fear what I'm looking for is even further away as we gone from one generation to another!  First hand information is alway more reliable that 2nd or 3rd!  None the less this opens up more avenues to explore.

Seasons

S Crossley-James

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2019, 12:09:24 AM »
Thank you for recommending this page, itís been an interesting read. After speaking to my one uncle (he was raised by my grandparents but not their biological child) it appears that the Barry Joseph Crossley you are looking for was indeed my grandfather! Itís extremely exciting for me as up until now Iíve not been able to find much information on my relatives from Ireland! Unfortunately he doesnít have much more information than you already have but he has promised to get in touch with my uncle Terry (Barryís eldest) and hopefully he will have some more information that could be of use to you. Will keep you updated and hope to carry on learning about my grandfathers family from you!

Seasons

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2019, 10:03:07 AM »
Hi S Crossley - James.

Thank you so much for replying and so delighted you have been able to find out more about your family in Belfast - they we're all amazing and certainly lived very full rewarding lives. I have to thank CMcG, Teap ,Sam Berry. Chevron  and JimG for helping in all this research - I certainly wouldn't of had the wealth of information without all their input. I will now have to go down the DNA route to try and get the answers I'm looking for along with  documented evidence which I hold.

Also please have a look at Mountain Muphy and Chevron your all related! You know you can DM each other to connect up!

Thanks again for your help its appreciated

Seasons

Mountain_Murphy

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2019, 02:24:09 PM »
I am the graddaughter of the Joseph Kells born 10th September 1885 listed in the Castlereagh Road family.Are any of you related to that family?

Seasons

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2019, 10:26:01 PM »
Mountain Murphy.

You are related to Chevron and S Crossley James.

You can DM them from this site and depending on their settings a alert will be sent to their personal email address.

Seasons