Author Topic: Searching for McCloskey Family  (Read 165 times)

JWoodsSRI

Searching for McCloskey Family
« on: November 26, 2018, 01:18:20 AM »

Friends,
I am at a long-term brick wall with my 2nd great grandfather, Edward McCloskey (1810 Belfast - 1883 Pittsburgh, PA). I am hoping to find other researchers that are researching the McCloskey surname, or are McCloskeys that have taken a DNA test. 

I have taken DNA tests with AncestryDNA and 23andMe. I've also uploaded my results to GEDMatch and MyHeritage. Would love to compare with any McCloskey family that have taken DNA tests. For anyone researching McCloskey, I'd really like to compare notes. 

Family lore had stated that my McCloskey line came to the US from Derry around 1840. However, my research on my earliest known ancestor, Edward McCloskey, seems to indicate that he may have been born in Belfast and came to the US from there. I've assembled all of my notes on Edward below. I'd love to hear your thoughts:
覧覧覧覧覧覧
Edward McCloskey:   
On Wednesday, November 14, 1883 at 9 o団lock, Edward McCloskey, in the 73rd year of his life. Funeral from his late residence, Ann street, near  Miltenberger.  This afternoon at 2 o団lock. Friends are respectfully invited to attend.       

1850 Pittsburgh Ward 3 Census lists Edwin McCloskey, age 37, m Laborer, born in Ireland. Living with Elizabeth (37), Michael (1/2), Henry (2), Margaret (5), Catherine (3), John (9)   

1860 Pittsburgh Census list Edward McCloskey, age 45, m, Day Laborer, born in Ireland. Living with Elizabeth, (43), John E (19), Catherine (17), Margaret (14), Michael (9), Mary (7), Elizabeth (3)   

1870 Pittsburgh Ward 14 Census lists McCloskey Edward, age 52, m, white, Laborer, born in Ireland, father of foreign birth, mother of foreign birth. Living with Elizabeth (52), Maggie (17), Michael (17), Mary (14), Eliza (12), William (8)

1880 Pittsburgh census lists McCloskey Edw, white, male, age 60, Laborer birthplace listed as BELFAST, father痴 birthplace listed as BELFAST, Mother痴 birthplace listed as BELFAST.  Living with Eliza (52), Margaret (25), Mary (18), William (20), John (18)     

The Obituary for Elizabeth McCloskey (Edward痴 Wife), contains the following details:     
Widow of Edward McCloskey   
Edward was a stone contractor, assisted in the erection of the old St. Paul痴 Cathedral, the Allegheny County Court House, the present City Hall, and the old First Street Presbyterian Church.     
She was married to Edward in the old St. Patrick痴 Church, which stood on the present site of the Union Station, when the canal ran near that point.     

The 1906 Death Certificate of Margaret McCloskey states her father as Edward McCloskey of Ireland.   
The 1922 Death Certificate of John E. McCloskey states his father as Edward McCloskey of Ireland   
The 1930 Death Certificate of Michael Francis McCloskey states his father as Edward McCloskey of Ireland.     
The 1940 Death Certificate of William J. McCloskey states his father as Edward McCloskey Ireland   

IF the 1880 census is correct, and Edward痴 Obituary was right, and he was actually born in 1810 in BELFAST, then it痴 possible that I致e found his baptism on 26 December 1810 at St. Patrick痴 Belfast City on Donegall  St. Belfast of the Down and Connor Diocese.       

Other, artifacts, include:     
1854 Federal Naturalization Petition in Allegheny County for Edward McCloskey of Ireland to become a Citizen    1856 Federal Naturalization Petition approval in Allegheny County for Edward McCloskey of Ireland to become a Citizen     

JimG

Re: Searching for McCloskey Family
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 03:47:25 PM »
Hi JSWoods

To glean the size of your quest in the Irish Tithes Applotment Books resource1823-1837 a census substitute!
for Mc Closkey/McClosky there are 342 entries in the northern 6 counties indexs produced by the Irish Genealogy Hub. The originals are in the PRONI see https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/proni  but you would need a searcher employed or a self visit etc. Its known the resource is incomplete and is a one line entry interested in the quality of land used
if he left his father named Edward? in Ireland he could be one of these
McCloskey, Edw.-Townland: Carn Year: 1834-Dungiven-Derry
McCloskey, Edward-Townland: Gortnaghy Year: 1827-Bovevagh-Derry
McCloskey, Edwd.-Townland: Ballybraddon Year: 1832-Loughguile -Antrim
McCloskey, Edwd.-Townland: Feeney Year: 1826-Banagher-Derry
McCloskey, Edwd.-Townland: Killunaght Year: 1826-Banagher-Derry
McCloskey, Edwd.-Townland: Tamlaghtduff Year: 1828-Ballyscullion-Antrim & Derry
McCloskey, Edwd.-Townland: Tamlaghtduff Year: 1828-Ballyscullion-Derry
McCloskey, Edwd.-Townland: Templemoyle Year: 1826-Banagher-Derry
McClosky, Edw. E.-Townland: Cluntygeeragh Year: 1834-Dungiven-Derry
McClosky, Edw.-Townland: Cluntygeeragh Year: 1834-Dungiven-Derry
McClosky, Edw.-Townland: Gortgarn Year: 1834-Dungiven-Derry

in Belfast Street directories for 1835-6 see https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/services/search-street-directories
there are no McCloskey/McClosky

To glean the size of your quest in the Irish Tithes Applotment Books resource1823-1837
for McCluskey/ McClusky there are 90 entries in the northern 6 counties indexs produced by the Irish Genealogy Hub. The originals are in the PRONI see https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/proni but you would need a searcher employed or a self visit etc. Its known the resource is incomplete and is a one line entry interested in the quality of land used
if he left his father named Edward? in Ireland he could be one of these
McClusky, Edward-T: Millix Y: 1833-Errigal Keerogue-Tyrone and Armagh
McClusky, Edwd.-Tl: Ballinenagh Yr: 1825-Artrea-Derry and Tyrone

in Belfast Street directories for 1835-6 see https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/services/search-street-directories  there are these McCluskey/ McClusky
2 Patrick McClusky own lodgings another is a James [size=78%]McClusky [/size][size=78%]a labourer[/size]
You may have already tried each spelling in http://www.dippam.ac.uk/ied/  for emmigrants writing back home and lists of emmigrants etc
eg http://www.dippam.ac.uk/ied/records/26398
IRISH EMIGRANTS TO CANADA and UNITED STATES OF AMERIca. LIST giving NAMES, AGES, RELIGIONS, IRISH PLACES of RESIDENCE and AMERICAN PORTS of DESTINATION
of EMIGRANTS from the Parish of BOVEVAGH, near Dungiven,County Londonderryin the years 1833 and 1834. (Transcript made by Public Record Office of Northern Ireland, May Street, Belfast, 1 December 1936, from originals in Ordnance Survey Papers,
Bundle 33, Co. Londonderry, Parish of Bovevagh,Section 2, Royal Irish Academy, Dublin.)
Elenor McCloskey       22    33         R.C     Ardanarriv   To Quebec
Maryann McCloskey      20    33         R.C     Ardanarriv   To Quebec
James McCloskey        25    33         R.C     Farkland     To N York
Eliza McCloskey        30    33         R.C     Farkland     To N York
Margret McCloskey      14    33         R.C     Drum         To N York
Grace McCloskey        25    33         R.C     Gortnahybeg  To Quebec
ie suppose others of the familywent first.

You may have already tried each spelling in Genes Reunited eg
Edward   McCloskey   1800   Unkown, Ireland ...   treeholder Colin    you need to join to see treeholders trees
or Findmypast emigration lists you buy a months sub etc

ending back in Belfast http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/
1819 street directory McClusky, Bryan, shoe maker, 8 Law's Entry
one could try all the other heading available at The Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI)
eg their ecatalogue  wills etc
good luck in your quest, lets hope more McCloskeys join in