Author Topic: Searching for Duff family  (Read 737 times)

kiwi2011

Searching for Duff family
« on: November 28, 2018, 09:03:38 PM »
I'm looking to either find any records of or make contact with the descendants of:Jean McCauley who married George Duff born abt.1920 and their children:
Mary Duff born abt. 1940s, Iris Duff, George Duff born abt. 1950s and Jean Duff.
All at one time lived in Belfast. Thank you in advance.

Elwyn

Re: Searching for Duff family
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 01:53:59 AM »
The problem you face is that the records you are seeking are too recent to be on-line. Births within the past 100 years, marriages within the past 75 and deaths within the past 50 years are not routinely available on-line.  They are accessible but cannot be searched anywhere other than in GRONI & PRONI in Belfast where there are terminals that allow you to search events right up to those registered yesterday.

I searched the GRONI site for George & Jeanís marriage up to November 1943 (ie over 75 years) but itís not listed so they must have married after that.

Assuming you canít get to GRONI or PRONI, you could employ a researcher to look the records up for you, or you could contact GRONI by e-mail and ask them to search for you. It wouldnít be a complex task but there might be a search fee and you probably would have to buy the certificates. (Theyíll explain). Contact details for ringing or e-mailing GRONI:

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/contacts/contacts-az/general-register-office-northern-ireland

It might be cheaper to hire a researcher, especially if you want to trace forwards from the events given. Researchers in the PRONI area: http://sgni.net

If you know roughly when George & Jean died, it might also be worth searching for wills for them, as they will probably name living descendants. But if they died after 1966, thereís nothing on-line and you need to get someone to search the will calendars in PRONI for you.

Elwyn

JimG

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 03:27:30 PM »

in 1943 there is a George Duff living in Ballysillan Road
runs from 771 Crumlin Road to Old Cavehill Road
41. Duff, George see http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk

there are 3 george Duff burials recorded at
http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/community/burialrecords/burialrecords.aspx each entry has further details incaddresses
George   Duff   68   4 April 1983   7 April 1983   Roselawn Cemetery   
George   Duff   64   27 February 1990   2 March 1990   Roselawn Cemetery
George   Duff   75 Yrs   30 November 1964   2 December 1964   City Cemetery - Glenalina Extension   
check under Jeannie while you are there

try contacting th writer www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=68312.0
good luck

kiwi2011

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 11:08:11 PM »
Thank you Elwyn and JimG, I will take a look at your links and suggestions.

CMcG

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 10:02:24 AM »
I'm seeing various old newspaper death notices of the 1960s - 1980s that mention a Jean and George Duff of 61 York Park (including their own death notices of 1973 and 1980 respectively) which have certain similarities with your details (children Jean, Mary, George, Iris) but are quite different in other respects (eg. other children mentioned - maybe married more than once?).  In addition, this Jean (a.k.a. Jane) was called McMaster, not McCauley.  Was it definitely a Jean McCauley?

kiwi2011

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 02:22:10 PM »
Thanks so much CMcG. I checked with my distant relative to verify but she's unsure. Though she does think there maybe another sibling to Iris etc called Aeron.
My ancestor's name is McCauley so, I suppose if Jean McMaster is somehow related to McCauley then they could be the ones.

CMcG

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 04:10:53 PM »
Hmmm, yes, another child's name that was mentioned in the death notices was Aaron, I'll post some extracts from them in due course, you never know, it might trigger something...

CMcG

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 11:19:35 PM »
Looking at this again, Iím wondering if McMaster was just a middle name for the following Jean/Jane Duff, as opposed to maiden name, which seems to be Beasant - so maybe not your folk at all!  Anyhow, in the following, Iíve extracted the key family references, maybe enough here for you to rule them in or out ...

Belfast Telegraph, 15 September 1958
BEASANT - September 13, 1958, at Royal Victoria Hospital, Samuel McMaster, dearly loved Husband of Elizabeth Beasant, 191 Shore Road ... Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Wife, Son Sammy and Daughter May ... Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Parents, Samuel and Mary Beasant and Brother John, 265 Shore Road ... Deeply regretted by his loving Brother Sydney, Sister-in-law Elsie and Niece Donalda, 41 Mineral Street ... Deeply regretted by his loving brother Richard and Sister-in-law Belle, 46 Ballyclare Road, Glengormley ... Deeply regretted by his Brother and Sister-in-law Victor and Doreen Beasant, 24 West Link, Larne ... Deeply regretted by his Brother and Sister-in-law George and Sadie Beasant, 22 Carnreagh Bend ... Deeply regretted by his loving Sisters, Grace and Ethel, Brother-in-law George Hurl, Nephews and Nieces, Toronto, Canada ... Deeply regretted by his loving Sister and Brother-in-law, Jean and George Duff and Family, 61 York Park ... Deeply regretted by his loving Sister and Brother-in-law, Margaret and Andrew Ferran and Family, 29 Shore Road ... Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Sister-in-law and Brother-in-law, Ellie and Eddie Roddy and Family, 20 Copperfield Street, also his friend Mrs. Roddy, 39 Mackey Street ... Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Uncle and Aunt, Mr. and Mrs. Christopher Beasant and Family Circle, 111 Palmer Street ... Deeply regretted by his loving Uncle and Aunt, Richard and Phyllis Bell and Cousin Margaret, 3 Dunoon Drive, Bolton, Lancs.

Belfast Telegraph, 14 May 1962
BEASANT - May 12, 1962, at the Belfast City Hospital, SAMUEL McINTYRE, dearly beloved husband of Mary Jane Beasant, 265 Shore Road. Funeral from his son-in-lawís residence, 27 Sheringhurst Park tomorrow (Tuesday) at 2.30 p.m. to Carnmoney Cemetery. Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Wife and Son John ... Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Son Sydney, Daughter-in-law Elsie and Grandchildren Donald and Sydney, 41 Mineral Street ... Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Son and Daughter-in-law Victor and Dorothy Beasant, 25 Kinbayne Crescent, Greenisland ... Deeply regretted by his son George, Daughter-in-law Sadie and Family ... Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Son and Daughter-in-law, Richard and Belle, 46 Ballyclare Road Newtownabbey ... Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Daughter and Son-in-law, Jean and George Duff and Grandchildren, 61 York Park ... Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Daughters and Sons-in-law, Grace and George Hurl and Grandchildren, and Ethel and Martin Bull and Grandchildren, Toronto, Ontario ... Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Daughter and Son-in-law, Margaret and Andrew Ferran and Grandchildren, 27 Sherringhurst Park ... Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Daughter-in-law Betty and Grandchildren Samuel and May ... Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Brother, Christopher, Sister-in-law Mary, Evelyn and Family, 111 Palmer Street ... Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Sister, Ethel Beasant, Kinvara Cottage, Upper Gransha Islandmagee.

Belfast Telegraph, 13 April 1964
BEASANT - In loving memory of my dear mother, MARY JANE, who died (result of an accident) April 13th, 1963, also my dear father, SAMUEL, whom God called Home May 12th 1962.  Ever remembered by their loving Daughter Ethel, Son-in-law Martin and Grandchildren Kathy and Mark, Cooksville, Canada ... Ever remembered by their loving Daughter Grace, Son-in-law George and Family, Agincourt, Canada ... Always remembered by their loving Daughter Margaret, Son-in-law Andrew and Family, 27 Sheringhurst Park ... Ever remembered by her Daughter and Son-in-law, Jean and George Duff and Grandchildren, 61 York Park.

CMcG

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 11:22:19 PM »
Then these ...

Belfast Telegraph, 21-22 May 1973
DUFF - May 20, 1973, at Hospital, JANE MCMASTER, dearly loved wife of George, 61 York Park.  Deeply regretted by her sorrowing Husband and Children Aaron, Ann, Karen and Maureen ... Deeply regretted by her son George, Daughter-in-law Maureen and Granddaughter Jennifer, 48 Queen Victoria Gardens ... Deeply regretted by her sorrowing Daughter Mary, Son-in-law Hans and Grandson Trevor, 6 Oakmount Drive ... Deeply regretted by her sorrowing Daughter Iris and Son-in-law Robert, Flat 27, Kansas Ave. ... Deeply regretted by her loving Daughter Jean, Son-in-law Robert and Granddaughter Michelle ... Deeply regretted by her Brother and Sister-in-law, Richard and Belle and nephew Robin, 46 Ballyclare Road Newtownabbey ... Deeply regretted by her Brother and Sister-in-law, Victor and Doreen Beasant and Family, 34 York Crescent ... Deeply regretted by her Brother and Sister-in-law John, Norma Beasant and Family, 26 Richmond Parade Newtownabbey ... Deeply regretted by her Sister-in-law Betty Beasant and Family, 191 Shore Road ... Deeply regretted by her loving Brother and Sister-in-law and Family, Sydney, Elsie, Donalda and Sydney jnr., 41 Mineral Street ... Deeply regretted by her Sister and Brother-in-law, Margaret and Andrew and Family, 22 Glengormley Park ... Deeply regretted by her Brother George and Sister-in-law Sadie and Family, 5 Jellicoe Drive ... Deeply regretted by her Sisters and Brothers-in-law, Grace, George and Family, USA, Ethel, Martin and Family, Canada.

Belfast Telegraph, 14 April 1980
DUFF, GEORGE (Suddenly), at Hospital, April 12, 1980, dearly loved husband of Madge and father of Karen and Maureen.  Funeral from his home, 61 York Park, tomorrow (Tuesday), at 11.00 a.m. to Carnmoney Cemetery ... Very deeply regretted by his sorrowing Daughter Jean, Son-in-law Robert and Grandchildren Michelle and Rachel, Glengormley ... Very deeply regretted by his sorrowing Daughter Mary, Son-in-law Hans and Grandchildren Trevor and Jane, 30 Ashgrove Road Newtownabbey ... Very deeply regretted by his sorrowing Daughter Ann, Son-in-law Neil, Grandchildren Jonathan and Beverly, Lisburn ... Very deeply regretted by his sorrowing Son George, Daughter-in-law Maureen, Granddaughters Jennifer and Jillian, 47 Kings Crescent, Whiteabbey ... very deeply regretted by his sorrowing son Aaron, Daughter-in-law Carol and Grandson Andrew, 72 Fortwilliam Parade ... Deeply regretted by his Daughter Iris and Son-in-law Robert ... Very deeply regretted by his sorrowing Mother, Mrs. Rose Duff ... Very deeply regretted by his sorrowing Step-son Les and Step-daughter Joan ... Very deeply regretted by his sorrowing Step-daughter Margaret, Husband Frank and Children, David and Stephen, 9 Cashel Walk Monkstown ... Deeply regretted by his cousin Ian and Wife Sadie ... dear nephew of Jane Darragh. Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Aunt Jane and Family Circle ... Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Sister-in-law Betty Beasant and Family ... Dearly loved husband of Madge and only son of Rose, late of 61 York Park. Will always be remembered by his cousin Charlie Harper ... The Beasant Family Circle at Belfast, Toronto Canada, and Wichita USA, wish to convey their sincere sympathy to his Wife and Family Circle.

kiwi2011

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 12:57:37 AM »
You've given me lots to decipher and search for a connection.  Just minutes before I saw your latest post I broke down and got a newspaper subscription.

Many thanks to you CMCG for your help.

CMcG

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 04:23:16 AM »
My best guess in relation to the folk in these death notices is that ...

- George Duff's parents were Aaron Duff and Rose Ann Harper:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1919/09662/5503610.pdf

- Jean/Jane Beasant's parents were Samuel McIntyre Beasant and Mary Jane Bell:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1920/09256/5350754.pdf

kiwi2011

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 03:30:16 PM »
On my family tree I have Rose Anne Harper married to Aaron Duff. So we must have a connection.

I really appreciate your help CMcG, thank you.