Author Topic: Margaret Lundy 1880-1880 Belfast  (Read 515 times)

mwright

Margaret Lundy 1880-1880 Belfast
« on: December 15, 2018, 02:03:49 AM »
Can anyone shed any light on Margaret or her parents, who don't seem to have been married:  Mary Jane Young of 35 Market St Belfast and William Lundy of Quinn's Row Ballymacarrett? Thanks!
(RC) Sheils Maxwell Magee - Antrim Belfast and Down Belfast, ?Aghagallon; Lundy McManus Murray - Saintfield, Ballynahinch, and Down Belfast

CMcG

Re: Margaret Lundy 1880-1880 Belfast
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 11:15:47 AM »
I found no marriage but didn't expect to, since in Margaret Lundy's 1880 civil birth record, mother Mary Jane Young's name was written above the word formerly, which had been crossed out. Baby Margaret was baptised in St. Malachy's shortly after birth, I don't know what happened to her.  I have no conclusive proof, but there are some circumstantial indicators to suggest the possibility that this might have been a case of an underage mother and older father of different religions, and that the two parties might have been:

- William Lundy the son of John Lundy and brother of John Lundy shown in the 1901 census at 7 Quinn Street - the same address that William married from in 1888 (spouse Catherine O'Neill), William died of paralysis in 1894;
- Mary Young the daughter born in 1866 to boot closer Robert Young and Mary Keenan who may have been the same folk listed in the 1880 Belfast street directory living at 33 Market Street, Mary went on to marry a John McKee in 1888.

I can post links to records if you like, but as I indicated, it's really just no more than speculation.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

sam barry

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 11:21:25 AM »
Following on from the above,this is her death:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1880/06469/4860981.pdf

Mother present at death, and she gave her name as Mary Jane Lundy ?  address 8 Anderson Street.

From Mary Lennon's great site:
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/acomplete1880.htm

ANDERSON STREET
Off Short Strand

8. Lundy, William, porter

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 11:30:38 AM »

Following on from the above,this is her death:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1880/06469/4860981.pdf

Mother present at death, and she gave her name as Mary Jane Lundy ?  address 8 Anderson Street.

From Mary Lennon's great site:
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/acomplete1880.htm

ANDERSON STREET
Off Short Strand

8. Lundy, William, porter

I don't think this is the same person, the Margaret Lundy in question was born on 10 August 1880 and baptised on 13 August, the above person was aged 1 year 9 months and  predeceased her birth, I suspect the above record relates to the daughter of William Lundy and Mary Jane McCartin born in 1878:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1878/02945/2079059.pdf

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

sam barry

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 11:49:11 AM »
Agreed. was having a 2nd look through the records and didn't check the dates properly.

mwright

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 12:13:25 PM »
Thanks all! 

Was trying to determine if it was the same William, brother to John of Quinn's Row 1901.  Hadn't seen the street directory entry but it led me to realize that the Margaret Lundy (b1878) who died 1880 was actually the child of William Lundy and Mary Jane McCartan of 8 Anderson, so assuming two different Margarets and likely two different Williams, one a railway signalman and the other a porter, both with partners named MJ.

Curious that at the baptism the priest didn't indicate the child was illegitimate or that one of the parents was a protestant, as they had done with others.

McG: Can you tell me what led you to believe underage MJ Young and differing religions?

My family was at 43 Short Strand 1901, in case you are unfamiliar with my NUMEROUS posts!  Been trying to sort out the Lundys in Short Strand area for some time in order to determine the origins of James Lundy at 43 SS.  His youngest child was named William Patrick, so I was curious about the WL/MJY child.

Thanks again!  I see some posts have been made while I was drafting this, so if I repeat any info please forgive.
(RC) Sheils Maxwell Magee - Antrim Belfast and Down Belfast, ?Aghagallon; Lundy McManus Murray - Saintfield, Ballynahinch, and Down Belfast

mwright

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 12:18:34 PM »
CMcG:. Nevermind!  Took me too long to post reply and I now see that the William with MJ Young was likely the William who died of paralysis.

CMcG

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 12:52:38 PM »

... McG: Can you tell me what led you to believe underage MJ Young and differing religions? ...

That would be the conclusion from the premise that the William Lundy and Mary Young I identified are the correct folk - Mary was born in 1866, so she would only have been 14 at the time of Margaret's birth.  While the Lundy background was Catholic (as was the Keenan background), the Robert Young side of things post marriage was Church of Ireland (the McKee side was Presbyterian).

But the premise is far from robust in the first place. On the Willliam Lundy side, various documentary records of location (eg. Quinn Street) and railway related occupations (eg. signalman and guard) look reasonable. On the Mary Jane Young side, there is that possible read-across of 35 Market Street to someone cited by a contemporary street directory at no. 33, who happens to have the surname Young and who had a daughter Mary.

But that's basically as far as it goes.

mwright

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 01:57:10 PM »
Thanks for that detailed reply.  Appreciate all the help.

pammy12

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 03:09:47 PM »
Margaret Lundy.
I have a Margaret Lundy born in 1880 Belfast, Margaret married James Morrison in 1896 possibly belfast but lied in Larne, they had 8 children, we believe Mary Jane Young and william Lundy are her parents but still cant get proof.
cheers pamela