Author Topic: Your Irish Passport  (Read 3992 times)

ldugan

Re: Your Irish Passport
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2019, 08:29:43 PM »
Tell that to Brian Keenan :) chained to a radiator in Beirut for 4 1/2 years.

Brian Keenan was travelling with both his Irish and British passports when he was kidnapped. It was the Irish Government who campaigned for his release, when he finally was released it was to the then Irish Ambassador Declan Connolly.

IrishDigger

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2019, 11:04:32 PM »

HarryHippo

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2019, 11:12:43 PM »
This bloke appears to have hedged his bets in relation to his passports,

https://www.news.com.au/world/breaking-news/britain-warns-russia-not-to-use-exmarine/news-story/8f2b74152df8a914e4aec25e2d9b9787

Smart guy ... is there such a thing as an Isle of Man passport ?  ;)
Lux Et Veritas.

Support Soldier F

ldugan

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2019, 11:47:04 PM »
Yeah it seems the world takes a wee bit of time ' loving you '.. 4 and a 1/2 years and loads of ' money '  ;)
HH the love was always there, his sisters Elaine and Brenda made sure of that. As for loads of money if he made it fair play to him.

HarryHippo

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2019, 12:02:29 AM »
HH the love was always there, his sisters Elaine and Brenda made sure of that. As for loads of money if he made it fair play to him.
I am sure his sisters love him dearly ID .. but you seem to have misread me .. i am referring to passports and how much ..' money ' it took to set him free...  ;)
Lux Et Veritas.

Support Soldier F

Kathleen Donnelly

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2019, 12:31:08 AM »
I got mine years ago, that is before there was a European Union. I did have it updated later. It's handy to have one these days, with many people having a problem with American policies.
When will we write Robert Emmet's Epitaph?
Justice for the Ballymurphy 11

ldugan

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2019, 12:49:23 AM »
I am sure his sisters love him dearly ID .. but you seem to have misread me .. i am referring to passports and how much ..' money ' it took to set him free...  ;)
Unfortunately neither his Irish or British passports saved him. As for the Irish Governments tax payers money spent on his release I have yet to hear/read a single objection to these expenditures by anyone.

HarryHippo

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2019, 12:55:31 AM »
Unfortunately neither his Irish or British passports saved him. As for the Irish Governments tax payers money spent on his release I have yet to hear/read a single objection to these expenditures by anyone.
of course you wont ... It didnt happen !!  someone else paid !   ;)
Lux Et Veritas.

Support Soldier F

ldugan

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2019, 01:07:24 AM »
of course you wont ... It didnt happen !!  someone else paid !   ;)
??? Does it really matter who paid ?. His life was saved unfortunately a lot were lost.

HarryHippo

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2019, 10:31:23 AM »
??? Does it really matter who paid ?. His life was saved unfortunately a lot were lost.
So are you now saying the Irish tax payer didnt pay it then ?  ;)   I dont care who paid .. as long as it wasnt me.
Lux Et Veritas.

Support Soldier F

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2019, 10:43:11 AM »
Smart guy ... is there such a thing as an Isle of Man passport ?  ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Man_passport
Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

JackM

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2019, 12:02:12 PM »
For those living in the UK who obtain an irish passport, caution should be exercised. Post Brexit and on returning to the UK, said passport holders may be relegated to the status of `Foreign Nationals`. This area has yet to be formally agreed between the UK and the EU.  :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

HarryHippo

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2019, 09:43:33 PM »
So make your mind up  ..only   83 Days ,I Hour and 16 minutes to go   ;)
Lux Et Veritas.

Support Soldier F

James James

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2019, 11:00:53 PM »

05/01/2019
https://www.thejournal.ie/good-friday-agreement-2-4400368-Jan2019/

"Derry woman in wrangle with UK Home Office fears Brexit could complicate her immigration case"

"The UK Home Office has argued that British immigration laws supercede the Good Friday Agreement."

She was born in Northern Ireland, and has a right under the Good Friday Agreement to identify as either Irish or British or both, but the UK government regards her only as being British, unless she renounces her Irish nationality.

She and her American born husband, who is applying for Northern Irish residence status, had appealed against the Home Office ruling, and had won their appeal,.. the Home Office is now also appealing the case.

Partial quotes,...

"If British immigration laws aren’t compatible with Brexit, which this case suggests they aren’t, that should be changed before Brexit happens, not after, she argues."

"The legal clout that the British government has put up against them suggests to the DeSouzas and their legal team that the appeals will continue right up to the European Court of Justice – but depending on the outcome of Brexit, that court might not have jurisdiction over UK immigration law anymore."

"“The UK government is arguing that the parliament is sovereign and that the Good Friday Agreement is a treaty that has no bearing on UK law,” DeSouza says."

"She says that it doesn’t inspire much confidence in her that the UK government is promising to uphold the Good Friday Agreement after Brexit and protect citizens’ rights, while simultaneously arguing why they’re not important in her case."

"Colin Harvey, a Professor of Human Rights Law in the School of Law at Queen’s University, told TheJournal.ie that the De Souza case highlights a “failure to reflect and respect the basic principles of the Good Friday Agreement fully in domestic law, policy and practice”."