Author Topic: Your Irish Passport  (Read 4512 times)

IrishDigger

Re: Your Irish Passport
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2019, 03:50:57 AM »
For those living in the UK who obtain an irish passport, caution should be exercised. Post Brexit and on returning to the UK, said passport holders may be relegated to the status of `Foreign Nationals`. This area has yet to be formally agreed between the UK and the EU.  :)
Where did you get your information from?
Assuming that the person living in the UK is the holder of a British Passport and in addition obtains an Irish Passport thus making that person a dual citizen; how then as you claim, could that person be relegated to the status of 'Foreign National'

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/citizens-rights-uk-and-irish-nationals-in-the-common-travel-area/citizens-rights-uk-and-irish-nationals-in-the-common-travel-area

James James

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2019, 07:00:29 AM »
To have British nationaliy status, one also has to be a British subject, and most citizens of Ireland other than those born in Ulster, are not British subjects, even if they are also eligible, and have, British citizenship,... although some Irish citizens, who are British subjects, may not also have British citizenship.

Some holders of British passports, are listed in their passport as a British subject, but that kind of passport has additional visa requirements in some countries, which are not required if the person has a British passport which lists them as being a British citizen.

It's a very complex legal system with very specific and detailed legal rules and requirements, and at times it has even caused confusion and misunderstanding within the British government,... and that's even before the E.U. and breaksit situations are also taken into account,... as the woman above from Derry/Londonderry/Doare and her American born husband have found out.

jillyfred

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2019, 12:30:37 PM »

I assume Irishdigger JackM was referring to anyone entering the UK using the Irish one.
It might suit them going out,but could entail them joining the F.N. entry on the way back in
using an Irish/EU one.
I don`t know if you can leave the country on one passport and re-enter using another.
Expect we will have to wait until the decision is made with regard to this.

jilly

syriana

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2019, 12:55:33 PM »

I have both passports.  I realise that many NI residents consider the acquisition of an Irish passport a betrayal of their Britishness and respect that.  But - you have to be pragmatic -  I recently read a Simon Calder (the travel expert) newspaper piece which describes  UK passport holders limitations after March 29th 2019. 

Briefly- UK nationals will have 'Third-Country Visa-Free Status' which means that they wont have an automatic right of entry to the EU.  Border officials can ask you for evidence of sufficient means of subsistence eg your accommodation and return ticket and you will be restricted to a 90 days stay within a 180 day period.  I suppose if you are only going for a holiday you wont notice much of a difference.  However, I enjoy travelling by train in Europe which can involve the crossing of national European borders. An Irish passport just simplifies my travel arrangements.   
The Truth is a Lie Which Hasn't Been Found Out.

IrishDigger

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2019, 01:24:52 PM »
I assume Irishdigger JackM was referring to anyone entering the UK using the Irish one.
It might suit them going out,but could entail them joining the F.N. entry on the way back in
using an Irish/EU one.
I don`t know if you can leave the country on one passport and re-enter using another.

jilly
My quoted link explains it all jilly, here is a quote from that link,

'The agreement reached at the December Council ensures that the rights enjoyed by British and Irish citizens under the CTA are protected after the UK leaves the EU.

This means that no UK or Irish nationals will be required to apply for settled status to protect their entitlements in Ireland and the UK respectively. The rights to work, study, access social security and public services will be preserved on a reciprocal basis for UK and Irish nationals.

There will be also be full protection and maintenance of the current arrangements for journeys between the UK and Ireland.
This includes movement across the land border between Northern Ireland, protecting the uninhibited movement enjoyed today.'

misssmyth1

« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2019, 03:56:36 PM »
My British passport has taken me all over the globe with ease  since 1970 so far . I have  European citizenship as well  for  many years before Brexit was thought of .I think I am covered, hope so.. we are all free to choose  .  .. ..    freedom of choice is  a wonderful thing ..

jjmack

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2019, 07:48:02 PM »
My quoted link explains it all jilly, here is a quote from that link,

'The agreement reached at the December Council ensures that the rights enjoyed by British and Irish citizens under the CTA are protected after the UK leaves the EU.

This means that no UK or Irish nationals will be required to apply for settled status to protect their entitlements in Ireland and the UK respectively. The rights to work, study, access social security and public services will be preserved on a reciprocal basis for UK and Irish nationals.

There will be also be full protection and maintenance of the current arrangements for journeys between the UK and Ireland.
This includes movement across the land border between Northern Ireland, protecting the uninhibited movement enjoyed today.'

Assuming of course people have 'dual nationality'.  ::)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

Nowhere man

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2019, 07:16:21 AM »
I was able to reply to what you posted... ::)

You assumed I put a price on my Irishness, correct? We can all reply, Bloomers... ;)
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Already Taken.

Nowhere man

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2019, 07:32:54 AM »
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/passports/applying_for_or_renewing_an_irish_passport.html

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/passports/applying_for_or_renewing_an_irish_passport.html#l62fd2

Thanks, JJ. After IDís post I researched it further. The cost is 278 euros + standard passport fee. The process is longer due to more documentation etc. Iíll probably apply in the not too distant future...

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2019, 07:50:14 AM »
You assumed I put a price on my Irishness, correct? We can all reply, Bloomers... ;)

Yes, I did assume that... O0

You had posted ------    ." I would be happy to get one if it was affordable ".   
Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

brixmis

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2019, 11:36:57 AM »
using an Irish/EU one.
[b]I don`t know if you can leave the country on one passport and re-enter using another.[/b]

jilly
That was my thought too. As your passport is scanned as you leave and return would you be compelled to use the same passport?
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
Support Soldier F. He's my brother.
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dot/dash

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2019, 11:43:53 AM »
Thanks, JJ. After IDís post I researched it further. The cost is 278 euros + standard passport fee. The process is longer due to more documentation etc. Iíll probably apply in the not too distant future...

Ä278+   for a passport           :D          a mug/his Ä              easily parted     
love me          love my gelding     

GEMMA

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2019, 01:23:06 PM »
You could just steal a dingy and row across the channel without the need for passports or visas or any other form of documentation, seems to work no problem. ;)

Nowhere man

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2019, 01:41:52 PM »
Ä278+   for a passport           :D          a mug/his Ä              easily parted   

Thanks for your valuable input, as always,D... ::)

Dot/dash

« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2019, 01:54:23 PM »
Thanks for your valuable input, as always,D... ::)

at first glance I thought your post read        .     valued input              would have made more

sense to me                still maintain a fool and his dosh are easily parted           far too costly

for a passport fee               trust the t w ^ t  in the south       .  to rip off those in the north who

seek Irish passports           
love me          love my gelding