Author Topic: Your Irish Passport  (Read 4533 times)

gray_marian

Re: Your Irish Passport
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 01:15:16 AM »
Given the benefits I reckon you folks in Northern Ireland would be mad not to apply for an Irish Passport.

Obtaining an Irish passport is relatively easy for many British citizens who are able to prove a direct connection to Irish ancestry. Citizens of Northern Ireland, whose EU membership is a major contention point of Brexit, are entitled to an Irish passport (and/or a British passport) as part of the Good Friday Agreements.

Northern Ireland residents seem to have the best of both worlds ie British and Irish,

You implied IrishDigger there were 'benefits' to those in N.I and to an extent by your quote above for British folk with 'Irish Ancestry' to apply for an Irish passport. Pray do tell what do you think the 'benefits' actually are? You didn't answer BLOOMFIELD when he asked therefore I'm still no wiser as to the advantage, unless it's supposedly shorter queues for airport security when travelling within Europe? Which with a current EU passport is a joke, unless of course you are travelling first or business class.

brixmis

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 06:43:20 AM »
Hey folks, the topic was about the number of people seeking Irish Passports and the benefits of having one; if your not eligible to have one or your not interested in having one then leave it at that.
No wonder there are streets in Northern Ireland that have walls to separate you. ::)
Surely this should read "to separate US".
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
Support Soldier F. He's my brother.
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

James James

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 08:33:58 AM »
I was planning on getting one through ancestry, my nan was Irish but I couldn’t work out how much the actual cost was of this. I kept clicking through pages and seeing a big price, possibly close to a grand, it was awhile ago. I would be happy to get one if it was affordable.
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/passports/applying_for_or_renewing_an_irish_passport.html

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/passports/applying_for_or_renewing_an_irish_passport.html#l62fd2

James James

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2019, 08:40:45 AM »
I am not Irish. However, I can apply for an Irish passport through ancestry. If you had actually read my post... ::) 
Regardless of whether he or anyone else has read your post or not,... try applying via the  IRISH authorities instead. !

James James

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2019, 08:42:50 AM »
EU citizenship for starters..
Exxxxactly. :)

James James

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2019, 08:46:14 AM »
Really? Based on what I have just read it seems there are around 6,ooo,ooo people in the United Kingdom with an Irish grandparent, myself
included so it appears NOT 'everybody wants to' :D

Excerpt from Google:
6,000,000 with at least 25% Irish ancestry
(10% of the British population)
14,000,000 with less than 25% Irish ancestry
The most important aspect of that being,... that they CAN if they wish to,... and that's what is called,... REAL democratic freedom of choice.  :)

James James

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2019, 08:57:53 AM »
Hey folks, the topic was about the number of people seeking Irish Passports and the benefits of having one; if your not eligible to have one or your not interested in having one then leave it at that.
No wonder there are streets in Northern Ireland that have walls to separate you::)
Surely this should read "to separate US".
:) Nope,... the correct grammatical term is,... "to separate us from them'uns."

They've even got their own facebook page.  :)
https://en-gb.facebook.com/theoriginalthemuns/

James James

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2019, 09:07:26 AM »
https://www.quora.com/After-Brexit-what-benefits-might-an-Irish-passport-have-over-a-British-one

"And you wonder why some Unionist politicians have decided to avail of their ability to get an Irish passport."  :)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/unionist-ian-paisley-jr-mp-constituents-apply-republic-of-ireland-eire-passports-a7102761.html

"Ian Paisley Jr urges Northern Irish citizens to apply for Republic of Ireland passports"

" 'My advice is if you are entitled to second passport then take one. I sign off lots of applications for constituents,' says Mr Paisley"

IrishDigger

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2019, 10:24:50 AM »
Some good info on how to obtain an Irish Passport and the benefits thereof, the info is directed towards Americans but I'm sure it applies to anyone from any country,

https://www.irishcentral.com/travel/best-of-ireland/how-to-get-an-irish-passport

syriana

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2019, 10:47:12 AM »
I just renewed my Irish passport.  You have to take care with the photograph as they now have adopted stricter photographic criteria. They turned down the first one that I submitted so I went to the kiosk in Tesco and they rejected that one as well.  I was visiting friends in Enniskillen so I drove down to one of their designated photo booths in Sligo. You get a code, apply for the passport online and submit the code when the photo is requested - it makes the entire process very user friendly.  You can find your nearest 'code giving' booth online.
The Truth is a Lie Which Hasn't Been Found Out.

IrishDigger

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2019, 11:05:03 AM »
I just renewed my Irish passport.  You have to take care with the photograph as they now have adopted stricter photographic criteria. They turned down the first one that I submitted so I went to the kiosk in Tesco and they rejected that one as well.  I was visiting friends in Enniskillen so I drove down to one of their designated photo booths in Sligo. You get a code, apply for the passport online and submit the code when the photo is requested - it makes the entire process very user friendly.  You can find your nearest 'code giving' booth online.

Make sure you keep your passport in good condition (any passport) as I got the word that various countries are refusing entry to those whose passports are damaged in any way.

Dub

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2019, 12:35:13 PM »
You implied IrishDigger there were 'benefits' to those in N.I and to an extent by your quote above for British folk with 'Irish Ancestry' to apply for an Irish passport. Pray do tell what do you think the 'benefits' actually are? You didn't answer BLOOMFIELD when he asked therefore I'm still no wiser as to the advantage, unless it's supposedly shorter queues for airport security when travelling within Europe? Which with a current EU passport is a joke, unless of course you are travelling first or business class.
I have heard that some Labour and Tory MPs have applied for Irish passports. Perhaps they have seen advantages to having one, that others can't see.
                                                                                                                                                                                               All the best, Dub.
If you don't read the papers you are not informed.
If you do read the papers you are misinformed.( Mark Twain.)

HarryHippo

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2019, 01:45:56 PM »
No wonder there are streets in Northern Ireland that have walls to separate you. ::)
'
Apparently and according to one poster the main benefit seems to be you wil be ' loved all over the world ' ... I suppose that will get me through security quicker... im very tempted.  ;)
Lux Et Veritas.

gray_marian

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2019, 04:30:03 PM »
Some good info on how to obtain an Irish Passport and the benefits thereof, the info is directed towards Americans but I'm sure it applies to anyone from any country,

https://www.irishcentral.com/travel/best-of-ireland/how-to-get-an-irish-passport

I read the link IrishDigger

''Benefits of an Irish passport'' ''It's kitschy but true: being Irish is seen as being more, well, likable or something.''
Is that it? I read the rest, not even a free pen :D

All folk are doing IMO is filling the coffers of the Irish Govt cause the EU will fall like a house of cards if they don't find the extra billions after the United Kingdom has left and MargretS 200,000 proposed new signatories ain't going to cut it. Italy, France Greece Poland etc are in an uproar already and who the heck wants Turkey aboard a sinking ship, but hey do as you please, me and mine will be well out of it by then. :)

HarryHippo

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2019, 05:05:55 PM »
A James Craig  quote
You just can't help it
Is the shore road not in ireland
James Craig said "I wouldnt have an Irish passport next ner near me " ?  hmmm   that seemed to have passed me by  ???       ;)
Lux Et Veritas.