Author Topic: Al Rawdah Prison Ship  (Read 887 times)

Brendan88

Al Rawdah Prison Ship
« on: January 05, 2019, 01:33:50 PM »
Hi all, I’m new to this forum. My grandfather was interned on the Al Rawdah prison ship on or around 1940. His name was Patrick Joseph Morgan, he was from SeaView Warren Point Co Down. He signed the prisoner autograph book onboard the ship “action, not words” he also spent time in Derry Gaol and Crumlin Gaol. I was wondering if anyone on this forum had any relatives who were also on the Al Rawdah?

Clint

Re: Al Rawdah Prison Ship
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 08:46:23 PM »
Welcome to the forum. you might want to check this out  www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,13641.0.html

jillyfred

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 01:10:29 PM »

Hello Brendan88,

Welcome to the Forum.
Your Grandfather certainly led an interesting life!
There are a few Threads on the Forum with regard to the Al Rawdah.
On the top right hand corner of the page just type in the name and click search.

jilly :)

jillyfred

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 01:13:17 PM »

Good one Clint!
I had not seen your post before posting mine!
That sorts Brendan out well.

jilly :)

MICK67

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 10:57:38 PM »
I'm also new to this forum. Trying to put a picture on but don't know how to do it. My grandfather was also on this ship.Ihave a harp that was made out of wood salvaged from the ship.He wrote on the 2.9.40 in an autographed book. "Ireland u freewill never be a peace." don't know what date he was then transferred to Crumlin Road jail but I think he was on there for 6 months.and then several years in the Cromlin road.

Brendan88

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 10:29:09 PM »
Hi Mick67, did your grandfather tell you any stories about the Al Rawdah or mention any names or even talk about his time interned? I have seen this hard made from the wood of the Al Rawdah at the Eileen Hickey museum in Belfast. What was your grandfather’s name? Mine was Patrick Joseph Morgan he was from Warrenpoint.

MICK67

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 11:34:40 AM »
Brendan88

No stories he died before I was born, I know he wasn't the same man after his internment, think it basically added to his death. Eileen hickey museum was helpful to me fergal sent me a copy of the book he signed also the ulster museum sent me the original copy, its not on show there at the moment. Read some interesting account that tells of the journeys the prisoners made on and off the ship and the repour they built up with the Indian prison staff. I'm not in Ireland but over in August going to prison records for his prison  book.cant load pictures of harp or autograph book or I would, good luck with finding out more info on your grandfather.

MICK67

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 12:45:40 PM »
Brendan I messenger ulster museum via Facebook and Joanne Gallagher same surname as myself sent me a digital copy of the autographed book origanal, it might take time they are busy but very helpful