Author Topic: Britain's 1983 plan to resettle 5.5 million Hong Kong Chinese in Ulster  (Read 1951 times)

James James

July 2015
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/03/uk-officials-discussed-resettling-55m-hong-kong-chinese-in-northern-ireland

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-33361999

"A suggestion to move the population of Hong Kong to Northern Ireland sparked a flurry of correspondence in Whitehall in 1983, newly released documents show."

"The bizarre plan was revealed in files published by the National Archives."

"The novel idea came from a lecturer who warned that the British colony's 5.5 million inhabitants would need a home when it was returned to China in 1997."

"It sparked some debate among officials, with one saying there were "real advantages" in taking it seriously."

White dee

Re: Britain's 1983 plan to resettle 5.5 million Hong Kong Chinese in Ulster
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 10:18:22 PM »
July 2015
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/03/uk-officials-discussed-resettling-55m-hong-kong-chinese-in-northern-ireland

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-33361999

"A suggestion to move the population of Hong Kong to Northern Ireland sparked a flurry of correspondence in Whitehall in 1983, newly released documents show."

"The bizarre plan was revealed in files published by the National Archives."

"The novel idea came from a lecturer who warned that the British colony's 5.5 million inhabitants would need a home when it was returned to China in 1997."

"It sparked some debate among officials, with one saying there were "real advantages" in taking it seriously."

Only in Norn Iron would that take place  :D
Justice for all the innocent/ unarmed People who were
Gunned down by the British Soldiers,
For no other reason then their religion,were murdered.

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 08:10:51 AM »

More of yer CLICKBAIT .. :haha:             ???              :( sack.

July 2015

"   alexiram         Alexandria    3 Jul 2015 3:51         
 " You are confusing two different 'plans'. This article refers to a 1983 Civil Service file written as a joke (it even had the word Spoof written across the front cover) as clarified by one of the two civil servants involved, David Snoxal, on Radio4 today.
The plan mentioned in "Failure in British Government" was a 1989 document by Douglas Mason and that had Scotland as the destination "

The Bible would be more believable had Hemingway written it.  He was a master at making fiction seem real.

brixmis

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 12:38:35 PM »
WOULD THERE BE ENOUGH CORNERS FOR ALL THE TAKEAWAYS?
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
Support Soldier F. He's my brother.
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

jillyfred

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 03:50:23 PM »

No problem Brixmis sure there are two corners on every Street!

jilly :D

jjmack

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 06:51:48 PM »
Surely this was aimed at Northern Ireland and not Ulster ?  ???
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

JohnKelly

Looks like another 200,000 thousand are on the way,

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/07/13/around-200000-hong-kong-citizens-set-move-uk-citizenship-offer/

I wonder if they will be interested in flegs and bonfires?

allymac

Looks like another 200,000 thousand are on the way,

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/07/13/around-200000-hong-kong-citizens-set-move-uk-citizenship-offer/

I wonder if they will be interested in flegs and bonfires?
Immigrants don't always assimilate into their surroundings.Some of them even mock the place they were born in,even after being away for years and being ignorant of the circumstances at present.
Support all our servicemen and women either at home or abroad.

Jack The Kipper

It'll only be a matter of time before they want the statues removed!!!
God Bless President Trump! God Bless Israel....and God Bless Big Rosie up our street!!!

moorsy

Immigrants don't always assimilate into their surroundings.Some of them even mock the place they were born in,even after being away for years and being ignorant of the circumstances at present.

BANG.  .straight through the heart. ;D
i,m out of my mind,but feel free to leave a message.

Orior

Anyone know what Lord Kilcloony thinks of Priti Patel?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

tours

Anyone know what Lord Kilcloony thinks of Priti Patel?
John has lots to say about lots of things on twitter after the watershed... Hic 🍷🥃
He hasn't realised his views are prehistoric and irrelevant in 2020....

stickleback

I recall in the early-70's, 14 Vietnamese boat-children arrived at our secondary school in Belfast and there was all this outcry about us being taken over by 'chinks.'

They were the quietest kids you could imagine, not least because they were so traumatised by what they had been through. None of us kids had a clue what they had been through in Vietnam but even then, as a kid, I didn't fall for all the 'takeover' baloney. I remember wondering why they chose to come to Belfast, as if it was their choice. They never got into any trouble. It's true they kept mostly to themselves, but that's because most of us made little effort to talk to them and they could barely speak English. It's telling I can remember the exact number because there were no black kids at my school, nor mixed race kids. It was a few hundred white kids and one indian kid and a sudden 'infestation' of 14 'chinks'. And here we are, four decades later, and the same old suspicions exist amongst those who hated the Vietnamese kids back in the day.

allymac

John has lots to say about lots of things on twitter after the watershed... Hic 🍷🥃
He hasn't realised his views are prehistoric and irrelevant in 2020....
Tours,your views are the same.Are you on the devils buttermilk?
Support all our servicemen and women either at home or abroad.