Author Topic: Britain's 1983 plan to resettle 5.5 million Hong Kong Chinese in Ulster  (Read 1963 times)

James James

I recall in the early-70's, 14 Vietnamese boat-children arrived at our secondary school in Belfast and there was all this outcry about us being taken over by 'chinks.'

They were the quietest kids you could imagine, not least because they were so traumatised by what they had been through. None of us kids had a clue what they had been through in Vietnam but even then, as a kid, I didn't fall for all the 'takeover' baloney. I remember wondering why they chose to come to Belfast, as if it was their choice. They never got into any trouble. It's true they kept mostly to themselves, but that's because most of us made little effort to talk to them and they could barely speak English. It's telling I can remember the exact number because there were no black kids at my school, nor mixed race kids. It was a few hundred white kids and one indian kid and a sudden 'infestation' of 14 'chinks'. And here we are, four decades later, and the same old suspicions exist amongst those who hated the Vietnamese kids back in the day.

Said stunningly. !

Den123

Re: Britain's 1983 plan to resettle 5.5 million Hong Kong Chinese in Ulster
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2020, 04:45:27 PM »
Immigrants don't always assimilate into their surroundings.Some of them even mock the place they were born in,even after being away for years and being ignorant of the circumstances at present.

That's for sure.

jillyfred

Re: Britain's 1983 plan to resettle 5.5 million Hong Kong Chinese in Ulster
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2020, 03:29:12 PM »
Immigrants don't always assimilate into their surroundings.Some of them even mock the place they were born in,even after being away for years and being ignorant of the circumstances at present.
==
Yes indeed Allymac-sad to say.

jillyx