Author Topic: Johnston Family of Shankill area  (Read 1169 times)

marjoy

Johnston Family of Shankill area
« on: January 17, 2019, 03:31:15 PM »
Hello, we are looking for the family of John Johnston born in Belfast in 1913 to John Johnston and Mary nee Johnston. He came to England before 1936 when he married Ivy Thompson in West Ham, London. He was an engineer by trade as was his father. His parents lived at 72 Orkney Street in 1913. We know he had an uncle Edward Johnston who married Ellen Gregg, and they had a daughter Sarah aka Sally, who emigrated to America. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CMcG

Re: Johnston Family of Shankill area
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 05:52:26 PM »
Hello :)

If the following 1910 marriage is a possibility ...
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1910/09997/5635629.pdf

... then this 1911 census return looks like the parents (John Johnston & Margaret Baxter) & siblings ...
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/St__Anne_s_Ward/Glenmachan_Street/160712/

And in 1901 ...
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Shankill_Ward/Leopold_Street/984966/

Do you think this is the right line and is it the sort of information you are seeking?

CMcG

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 03:04:56 AM »

... We know he had an uncle Edward Johnston who married Ellen Gregg, and they had a daughter Sarah aka Sally, who emigrated to America. Any help would be greatly appreciated ...

A US social security index entry exists for a Sarah Cook born 1923 in Belfast, died 3 April 2007, parents listed as Edward Johnston and Ellen Gregg, the same person was naturalised in Lubbock, Texas in 1950, having previously married Texan-born (Claude) William Cook in Belfast on 7 August 1943 and flown to Fort Fairfield, Maine, in 1946.  Claude William Cook and Sarah Johnston had a daughter Linda Ellen in 1948. Sarah's parents Edward Johnston and Ellen Gregg were married in Belfast on 12 October 1922.

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 10:44:43 AM »
Just to mention that what specifically ties this down, given that the Johnston surname was/is so prevalent and easy to confuse, is that the address of 68 Glenmachan Street was:

- Edward Johnston's stated address at the time of his marriage to Ellen Gregg in 1922;
- John Johnston's stated address at the time of his marriage to Mary Johnston in 1910;
- The Johnston family's stated address in the 'Additional Pages' section of the 1911 census return.

CMcG

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 10:45:41 AM »
The previously posted 1910 marriage of John and Mary Johnston indicated the bride's residence as 111 Cambrai Street and father as Isaac Johnston, that reads across to these folk (Isaac Johnston and Mary Jane Hill and children) in the 1911 census:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Shankill/Cambrai_Street/176224/

And in 1901:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Shankill_Ward/Cambrai_Street/984238/

John and Mary Johnston had another son David in 1915, the address then was 111 Cambrai Street:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1915/01381/1568157.pdf

CMcG

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 10:46:46 AM »

CMcG

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 11:33:57 AM »

marjoy

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 10:26:25 PM »
Hi , thank you so very much for all of this information - it fills in several gaps that we had which is great. Any ideas on how we might trace any current family that may be in the area now ? We had been told John Johnston ( b.1913 ) had a brother called David maybe he had more siblings ? - sadly there seems to be no living relatives of John Johnston (b.1913 ) in England hence the search in Ireland . Again thanks for all your efforts its much appreciated .

Sachs

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 06:55:25 AM »
A US social security index entry exists for a Sarah Cook born 1923 in Belfast, died 3 April 2007, parents listed as Edward Johnston and Ellen Gregg, the same person was naturalised in Lubbock, Texas in 1950, having previously married Texan-born (Claude) William Cook in Belfast on 7 August 1943 and flown to Fort Fairfield, Maine, in 1946.  Claude William Cook and Sarah Johnston had a daughter Linda Ellen in 1948. Sarah's parents Edward Johnston and Ellen Gregg were married in Belfast on 12 October 1922.

How interesting.
Ellen Gregg was my Grandfathers older sister.
And as a kid I remember when out with my dad on the bus we bumped  into his Uncle Ned and they spent quite a while chatting.
My dads cousin and also a good friend was Billy Johnston (Ned and Ellenís son).

marjoy

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 10:58:29 AM »
That's great news -  at last we have found a living relative ! Hopefully you may be able to answer the many questions I have or at least some :)  I am on holiday at the moment without all my family history documents etc but on my return at the weekend I would like to contact you again  , thank you so much for posting this reply.

Family ties

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 07:46:33 AM »
The previously posted 1910 marriage of John and Mary Johnston indicated the bride's residence as 111 Cambrai Street and father as Isaac Johnston, that reads across to these folk (Isaac Johnston and Mary Johnston.

Issac Johnston and Mary Johnston were my Great Great Great Grandparents who went on to have Mary who married Joseph Smith (Rio de Janerio) immigrated to Belfast, and had my Great Grandmother Elizabeth Edwards nee Smith and then my grandmother Yvonne Edwards (Brooks) &(Moore)

Family ties

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 07:57:10 AM »
I did respond but in my haste and excitement I may have sent it too quickly.

Issac Johnston Married Mary Jane Hill
Had a daughter Mary who married  Brazilian Portuguese immigrant Joseph Smith born 1883
Had a daughter (1 of 14 children) Elizabeth 1912/14 d.2006/8 who married Ernest Edwards (Welch regiment WW2) 1906c
Had Yvonne, David (passed), Glenys
Yvonne had my mother
Then myself
And then my children.

Also connections from the Mary Joesph era left for Australia (Stephen Smith I believe)

marjoy

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 03:54:04 PM »
Thanks for all this I am so very excited about all this new info and finding family I never knew I had . This weekend I am going to put all my new information together and will contact you asap .

marjoy

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 08:37:13 PM »
Hi AllI have been trying to contact a member called Sachs  (Bill Gregg from Canada )via a personal message who had so kindly offered me possible contact details of my long lost relatives after he saw and replied to my post about the Johnston family from around Shankill area but have had no reply yet . I am just hoping does anyone out there have contact with him that could maybe check he had my messages ? 
Thanks