Author Topic: Good news Genealogy DNA story  (Read 494 times)

Tipperdarby

Good news Genealogy DNA story
« on: January 26, 2019, 02:37:33 AM »
My story is this.
I knew my Gr Grandmother was Eliza McFall, Mother of my paternal Granny Elizabeth Ramsey. Back when I became interested in Genealogy I found an Elizabeth McFall born in 1857 in Randalstown so I added her and her parents, siblings and Grandparents to my tree. I was always a bit unsure that it was correct though.
Fast forward to 2 weeks ago when I contacted a DNA match named Glynis from Australia. We figured out that our connection was McFall. .from Carrick Hill in Belfast. That made sense to me because my Granny was born at 97 Carrick Hill in 1880 to Eliza Mc Fall and John Ramsey. It seemed to be that Glynisís Gr Grandfather Arthur McFall was a brother to my? Gr Grandfather Cornelius McFall. However, I was not about to accept this without finding my Gr Grandmotherís birth. My 3rd cousin on my Ramsey side got involved and he found her! On the St Patrickís RC Church Register where all the other McFalls were baptized and married. The reason I couldnít find her was that her name was spelled McFaul...RootsIreland does not have McFaul as a variant of McFall!!  She was born in 1851 to Cornelius McFall and Eliza McGraw/McGrath. We also found the death of Eliza McFall, wife of Cornelius and in attendance was her daughter Eliza Ramsey.
So, I deleted the people I thought were my Ancestors and it is taking me a lot of time adding all the new relatives. I am checking and rechecking the info to ensure I have it all right.
I have made many discoveries on both sides of my family with the help of DNA and some incredibly helpful people on this site, namely CMcG and 17124 and I thank them both very much.

Eileen

Bigali

Re: Good news Genealogy DNA story
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 08:00:26 AM »
That's great Eileen and good luck with the family tree.

Genealogy can be fascinating , just yesterday after a wee bit of research I discovered a very strong possibility of an aunt    (If the case , an older sister of my Mothers) that neither myself or siblings know anything about . The sad thing is years ago when there were relatives living who could have helped with such things we weren't interested , now we are interested and all the relatives are gone.

The most frustrating thing of all is if there was even the slightest whiff of scandal in the family tree it's like trying to pull hens teeth !
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Seasons

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 08:25:33 AM »
Isn't it just wonderful when the dots start to join up - Great News!

Seasons

Bigali

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 08:36:03 AM »
Isn't it just wonderful when the dots start to join up - Great News!

Seasons

It is indeed , a few years ago on a thread that had absolutely nothing to do with genealogy , I discovered by pure chance that another forum member and myself were second cousins , our paternal grandfathers were brothers !
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 12:43:26 PM »
Hi Eileen
EUREKA moment
You are more than welcome!

Tipperdarby

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 02:41:20 PM »
That's great Eileen and good luck with the family tree.

Genealogy can be fascinating , just yesterday after a wee bit of research I discovered a very strong possibility of an aunt    (If the case , an older sister of my Mothers) that neither myself or siblings know anything about . The sad thing is years ago when there were relatives living who could have helped with such things we weren't interested , now we are interested and all the relatives are gone.

The most frustrating thing of all is if there was even the slightest whiff of scandal in the family tree it's like trying to pull hens teeth !
Thanks Bigali I hope all is well with you
That is great you you have probably discovered an aunt, well done. I certainly wish my parents were around to share this obsession with me.
Eileen

herbie

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 02:00:37 AM »
Anyone that is one Gedmatch Genesis wish to post their kit number?   Mine is UF3252014.   

Would love to hear of any matches!

Tipperdarby

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 02:56:34 AM »
Anyone that is one Gedmatch Genesis wish to post their kit number?   Mine is UF3252014.   

Would love to hear of any matches!
You are not a match to me or to my sister Herbie....but guess what? you share a little bit of DNA with my cousin ....I will PM you  with more info
Eileen