Author Topic: Three seats in the front of a car  (Read 529 times)

river rats

Three seats in the front of a car
« on: January 28, 2019, 07:03:55 AM »
Does any one remember sitting in the middle in the front of a car on the front bench seat.
This was possible because of shift drive.
No seat belts no mot.
The design of the steering wheel had to change as the old type would spear you on impact.
Then we had really large steering wheels and no power steering.
Tyres that were plugged and patched to death.
Doors opening the wrong way at the rear on the old Rover 90.
Trafficators in stead of indicators.
It's a wonder we survived at all.

We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

Bigali

Re: Three seats in the front of a car
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 07:58:40 AM »
When I was a kid Dad had a Renault 16 (wish I had it now) with the bench front seat and the gear stick on the left side of the steering column.

My uncle Jack had a BMC Mini with sliding windows not windey down ones and if I remember correctly the indicator stalk had a wee green flashing light on it.
Tout Prest

harrison

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 03:02:02 PM »
I remember  5 of us going to dances Ballymena,Bangor,Banbridge,Lisburn  and many other towns,and meeting girls from Belfast and giving them a lift home and maybe ten in the car,with the girls sitting on our knees they were the good old days.
We went to dances all over the north.

toadstool999

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 08:12:58 PM »
When I was a kid Dad had a Renault 16 (wish I had it now) with the bench front seat and the gear stick on the left side of the steering column.

My uncle Jack had a BMC Mini with sliding windows not windey down ones and if I remember correctly the indicator stalk had a wee green flashing light on it.

I had a Mini. It broke down one rush hour in Donegall Sq. East (1972) and I had to push it through all the traffic, with one hand in through the window holding the steering wheel. It was an electrical fault and until then I didn't know that the battery was in the boot.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Lost Login

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 09:39:40 AM »
 I think back to Rosebank Street in the mid-70's. One of my friends dad drove a Ford Zephyr. It had three front seats.
Not available in Northern Ireland.

Bigali

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 10:10:28 AM »
Although the aforementioned Renault 16 had a bench front seat which easily accommodated three it also split in two, with one or both sides being able to be fully reclined. I'm guessing it must have been one of the first cars that had fully reclining front seats as when Dad got it and any friends or neighbours were admiring it they were always amazed at the reclining seats with the unspoken question hanging in the air of "what the hell do you need reclining seats for ? " my two brothers who were a lot older than me saw the possibilities straightaway!  :D

One of my aunts had a Renault 6 and the gearbox was a strange push pull affair in the middle of the dashboard  ???
Tout Prest

harrison

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 06:01:45 PM »
The car we were in was either.Rover. 103\105.  Those  were the
good old days.We went to the .night  filling station  and  got  a
half  crown  worth. of petrol  in .Great  George's Street,  off  York
Street.  Brilliant 😊😊😊

fred g

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 06:43:00 PM »
remember bench seats well, had a green ford consul in 60'S,  gear shift on steering wheel stock 3 forward gears and a reverse gear wonder why they ever stopped that design

Creaky

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 07:16:32 PM »
When I was about 9, my dad had an Austen A40 Somerset. It was like an Austen A30 on steroids. Had a bench seat, column gear change and trafficators in the door pillars which didn't always pop out when required, so us kids in the back would thump the door pillars from the inside to help them along. I can still remember the registration number, JZ 8469. It was a wonderful car, I can still smell the leather upholstery. Wish I had it now but it developed a major engine fault and was auctioned off for 13 in 1966. 
Love will always  change to sorrow, but everyone must play the game. We're here today and gone tomorrow, but the world goes on the same.

MargaretS

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 09:14:11 PM »
The car we were in was either.Rover. 103\105.  Those  were the
good old days.We went to the .night  filling station  and  got  a
half  crown  worth. of petrol  in .Great  George's Street,  off  York
Street.  Brilliant 😊😊😊

Don't remember a filling station in great George's street
Might be wrong
Remember one in great Patrick street
The shamrock garage
RINTY MONAGHAN  the world champion boxer worked there

MaggieP

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 06:30:28 PM »
When we first started dating my husband-to-be had a green and cream Hillman Minx with a bench front seat - good to cuddle up on  :)

harrison

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 09:51:58 PM »
Maggie your'e right, a half crown wouldn't even let you have a sniff.

jillyfred

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 10:10:56 PM »

I think there was an all night garage on Chichester Street-near Victors Car Showroom.

jilly