Author Topic: "The Shankill Gold Rush"  (Read 18679 times)

Moochin Photoman

"The Shankill Gold Rush"
« on: February 06, 2008, 02:22:59 PM »
Hello everyone

I'm doing some research on the Shankill Road in Belfast and have been told of an interesting little story.
Sometime around the late 60's early 70's a stash of gold sovereign coins were found in a house that was being demolished in Brown Square. Apparently the house in the past was a money lenders and the coins were his.
Has anyone heard of this and more importantly does anyone have a date as to when this did happen?
The phrase "Brown Square Millionaire" has been mentioned along with "The Shankill Gold Rush."
Kid were selling the coins for pennies and people flocked to the area looking to find some.

If anyone has an idea as to when this was and any anecdotes of your won I'd love to hear them.

Thanking you in advance

John

RabRow

Re: "The Shankill Gold Rush"
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 02:40:57 PM »
I can remember this happening. It definitely did. Although thought it was on the other side of the Shankill Rd. I'm probably wrong. But the times you mention ...late sixties,early seventies are right enough I would say.

A fella I worked with lived in that direction. He got a wee bit of banter about it. :)

Think you would find something in the newpapers of the time about it.

Moochin Photoman

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
Thanks Rab

If i can get a date  i can then go through the papers. ;)

rattler101

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 04:31:25 PM »
 ??? I think the money was coppers dipped in PetersHill baths hence the gold sheen :-\

Moochin Photoman

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 05:19:25 PM »
Thanks Rattler

All the people i have spoken to have mentioned sovereigns as in sovereign coins and this is the first i have heard your theory.
So not wanting to be rude I'm not sure if that is the case. I might be wrong. I am here after all to learn :)
Have you any direct knowledge of this incident?

Mrs Timberlake

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 06:10:19 PM »
I think Rattler is trying to be a comedian Photoman.  He doesn't get out much God love him  8)
Does my face look bothered?

stewie

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 07:51:56 PM »
moochin thats true O0 my old man told me about it years ago :)apparently they were supposed to belong to an old Jewish money lender who lived around peters hill before he died ???so the story goes O0

zeebeedee

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 08:26:18 PM »
I remember the story, it supposedly happened when the old houses were being cleared to make way for Unity Flats.
I think it was in the local papers
Political Correctness is the new Fascism
There is no-one more unchristian than the devout Christian

zeebeedee

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 08:32:51 PM »
I think it must have been the late 50's or early 60's shortly before the flats were built, I remember the houses being pointed out to me by my dad from the top of the bus going into town from the shankill

Moochin Photoman

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 09:01:52 PM »
Thanks Stewie, zeebeedee

I am 99.9% certain it happened I just need to narrow down the date before i begin trawling the paper archives!!!
Interestingly the "Jewish money lender" has been mentioned to me aswell.
I have some connections within the Jewish community so i'll ask around there too.

zeebeedee

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 09:05:46 PM »
Moochin,

Find out when the flats were started and you have it more or less pinned down

Google says early 60,s

jemmy hope

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 09:09:08 PM »
I remember this happening. I had finished  school but had not yet left for Canada, so that puts it between sixty and early sixtysix. It was in the region of Browns Sq.
Two silly oul monarchs in battle did join, each wanting his head on the back of a coin, if the irish had sense they would throw both in the boyne.

Moochin Photoman

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 09:33:22 PM »
So a quick phone call has revealed that indeed it happened and that there is a living relative of the money lender. Unfortunately he is not in the best of health at the moment and might not be able to tell me anymore.
I have been given a couple of names so i'll follow that up tomorrow.
In the meantime all info gratefully received  O0

glenb

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 12:04:50 AM »
I remember this also, almost positive mid 60's, also the story was that it was money that was stored in the attic for many many years (brothers of the religious kink or something like that, yes in the Shankill), kids found them and were playing with them in the streets, oul ladies were giving them sixpences and thrupennces for the sovereigns

obviously stories get blurred or exaggerated but I remember this well

jonnty

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 07:34:14 PM »
I was walking home from work when I heard that a discovery of gold sovereigns had been found in a wall cavity in a house that was being demolished for redevelopment.
As far as my memory serves me right it may have been 1968 and I think the house was in Christopher Street.
It apparently had belonged to two brothers who may have been moneylenders.