Author Topic: "The Shankill Gold Rush"  (Read 17082 times)

doare.

Re: "The Shankill Gold Rush"
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2012, 03:49:10 AM »
no one seems to remember the "waste paper" collection yard in christopher street.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

bricat

« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2012, 08:22:28 AM »
no one seems to remember the "waste paper" collection yard in christopher street.

was that Letsons yard ? he had a gateway in carlow st, and lived next door to it, but he had a yard over that direction.
If i'd known i was goin ta live this long i would've taken better care of meself

doare.

« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2012, 09:46:01 AM »

was that Letsons yard ? he had a gateway in carlow st, and lived next door to it, but he had a yard over that direction.
as far as i can recall it was near the top on the right hand side.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

Boy from the Hammer

« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2018, 04:58:31 PM »
I see this topic seems to have died off but a post may help revive it.
I remember the 'gold rush' and it was in Christopher Street in around 1969.

Boy from the Hammer

« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2018, 05:02:03 PM »
The story was, some old Jews lived in the Scotch Tenements up Christopher Street and it was one of these gentlemen who left the coins hidden but probably died, leaving the coins (Sovereigns) hidden.

jjmack

« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2018, 09:46:58 AM »
Yes, I can recall the incident. Apparently he was a 'money lender' and had hid the coins and then died. It was discovered during the slum clearance programme for the lower Shankill.
When word got out hundreds of people turned up looking for coins.  :)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

saran

« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2019, 12:20:42 PM »
Hi Harry
I work for BBC and am trying to piece together a story about the Shankill gold rush.  I'd be keen to have a chat with you - can you send me an email or a private message please?
Thanks
sara(dot)neill02(at)bbc(dot)co(dot)uk