Author Topic: Death on the pubic roadway  (Read 314 times)

Death on the pubic roadway
« on: January 31, 2019, 04:49:48 PM »
Hoping someone may be able to help with a search of the newspapers for a report of a sudden death that occured on 15/16 July 1895 on or near Derby St.   All I have is sudden failure of heart to a man named Charles McGrath who was married approx. age 54yrs.  Looking for info on who is family were & an address.
Many thanks

CMcG

Re: Death on the pubic roadway
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 02:22:54 AM »
The Irish News of Wednesday 17 July carried a report of the inquest. Besides the circumstances of his death (witness accounts of his last few days, his poor health and drinking), there is precious little in the way of clues into who Charles McGrath was.  Anne McCarron of 11 Barrack Street* said that the bricklayer had lodged for some time in her house up to 4 months previously, when she had sent him away because he had '... given way to drink', but she had taken him back in again the previous Thursday.  Daniel McAllister, who was also a bricklayer and slept in the same room as McGrath, said he had known him 40 years and that he was a quiet man who had gone '... to Manchester on Monday week to meet two of his daughters' - but that's as much as there is in the report about his background.  As you may know, the death and burial records don't offer up any further insight.

*A boarding house: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Smithfield/Barrack_Street/972688/

CMcG

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 03:01:55 AM »
Speculative needle in a haystack stuff, for Charles McGrath mightn't even have been born or raised in Ireland, but I wondered about the father recorded for these folk:

Ann McGrath b. 1869:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1869/03399/2246692.pdf

Rose Anna McGrath b.1871
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1871/03300/2209440.pdf

The parents of the above daughters, Charles McGrath and Bridget McLoughlin, were married in St. Peter's Belfast on 12 December 1866.  Oddly, the UHF has two versions of the church marriage record which give different parents - George McGrath and Thomas McLoughlin in one record, Mark McGrath and Terence McLoughlin in the other more detailed record (in the latter more detailed record, Charles is shown as a 23 year old labourer).

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 01:48:50 PM »
Thanks for your time & the thorough research CMcG.  Thankfully, I can now rule out that he isn't 'yer man' from Tyrone ... yes, still digging away, getting nowhere!  It's no wonder with records like that marriage! 
It's good to see you back in action  :)

Bread Basket

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 12:53:05 PM »
Thanks for your time & the thorough research CMcG.  Thankfully, I can now rule out that he isn't 'yer man' from Tyrone ... yes, still digging away, getting nowhere!  It's no wonder with records like that marriage! 
It's good to see you back in action  :)
17124, one thing is in yer favour, the shovels for digging don’t get any bigger than those from the Co Tyrone. The brothers Malone know all about that, and as for their shillelagh‘s, well; the least said the better. 😜[/font][/size]
Hope all is well with you.  sitting here with my leg up nursing my knee knee 🦵😭😭[/font][/size]