Author Topic: Thomas and Margaret Campbell, Crossgar 1874...help please?  (Read 1136 times)

CMcG

Re: Thomas and Margaret Campbell, Crossgar 1874...help please?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 02:25:22 AM »

... I can't yet see any sign of a brother (to Maggie Ann born c.1893) who died in the war or another sister, again maybe something got lost in translation ...

Another possibility to clutch at is that the brother who died in the war and another sister might be half siblings to Maggie Ann born c.1893, ie. from William John Reid's prior marriage - he was a widower when he married Margaret Ann (Brown) Campbell in 1889.

I've also just noticed from having another look at the 1918 marriage I posted at reply #5, that soldier James McClements' address was given as Bramshot Hants.  Bramshott in Hampshire was specifically a Canadian army camp, so that fits well with the Canada angle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bramshott_Camp

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

ruth12

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 07:23:40 AM »
Thank you so much. I do intend to look more carefully at the fact that Margaret had another brother and sister from a previous marriage. As I said, what a coincidence that someone popped up as a match in my DNA site just a week after you helped me identify the 8yr old Margaret Reid living with my G grandfather and his mum. I was able to zero in on our dna match because of this. This has all been incredibly helpful and illuminating. Really appreciate the help.
Heather

CMcG

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 09:34:14 AM »
I'm assuming the following is the relevant Canadian Army reference to James McClements?

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=138196

With the birth location and mention of brother Robert, presumably these could be candidates in 1901:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Kilmore/Rademon/1225689/

And same folk in 1911:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Kilmore/Rademon/234973/

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

ruth12

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 03:55:38 PM »
Thank you again for so much help. I have discovered a line of the family no one seems to know anything about. It is great for me that this lady has made contact, and at such a fortuitist moment. I much more to look for and may have to wait until I'm back home in the autumn. Great stuff!
Heather

CMcG

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 04:57:11 PM »
Good stuff indeed, you never know who will read your topic and respond in the future! 
 :)

[email protected]

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2020, 09:32:53 PM »
I may be able to give some assistance on the James McClements Crossgar - James McClements (Senior) married Sarah Carvill and they had 7 Children 1. Elizabeth (Never married but had 7 children all of whom were called McClements including a Hugh who I think is the one who witnessed the wedding in 1918), 2. Sarah Jane (Never Married), 3. Alexander (emigrated to USA 1903), 4. Hugh (emigrated to USA 1904), 5. William (Married Mary Catherine Smyth and is my husband's Grandparents), 6. Robert (Married Mary Dagens and had 6 children - long story about this one) and 7. James( it was this James that married Margaret Reid as far as I know). The youngest 3 children of Elizabeth - Thomas, Hester and William were taken to Canada by Barnardos as orphans after her death, Thomas died childless but Hester married Norton and William had children one of whom John lives just outside Toronto.

[email protected]

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2020, 12:41:45 PM »
Also just to add to the confusion, there is another James McClements born to the same family, his DOB is 21 June 1873, he married a Margaret Donnan and I think went to live in 61 Sandy Row Belfast, I also think they had a son injured on the Railway as an old relative used to talk about 'The Cripple'. I think your James McClements may have been a grandson of James and Sarah and would like to see his birth record but cant find it.
I recently got my husband's DNA done and it would be interesting to see if there is any match.

ruth12

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2020, 03:26:30 PM »
Thank you so much for all this valuable information. Sorry it took me so long to respond but I have been ill and unable to work at the computer. It is great to know people are reading these older posts and able to come up with something helpful and informative. I have been fascinated with this line of the family I did not know about and always anxious to add to my information. I am going to take a close look at all of this and see where it fits with information I already have. You indicated a more prolonged story and I am definitely interested in further information if you have it. I still cannot understand that no-one seems to know about this relative, or at least admit to it, and why would that be?. She clearly kept ties with at least one member of the family that I personally knew and yet never a mention. I can hardly believe my gran grew up with Margaret Reid living in the same household and never hearing her name. The McClements have been mentioned, I remember that, so it is quite confusing. Anyway, thanks again for this information and taking the time to send it as it is very much appreciated.