Author Topic: Jamaica Street  (Read 834 times)

mhanmer

Jamaica Street
« on: February 04, 2019, 12:35:53 PM »
Desperate to come to Belfast in search of my family. My grandpa, David Cranston, was a sailor and lived at 18.Jamaica Street in the 1940s. My grandma, Elizabeth died of TB and they had two daughters. My mum, Annie and her sister Theresa, both of whom have sadly passed. Anyone know them. Whoever did would be in their 80s now.

KB

Re: Jamaica Street
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 09:48:52 PM »
Hi
Just been speaking with my mum Jean Cunningham formerly Jean Fullalove who lived at 12 Jamaica Street. She was born in 1936. She remembers Davy Cranston. Says she remembers him having tinned fruit when noobd else had it - brought home from his time at sea. Also remembers Annie Cranston..

mhanmer

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 11:18:27 PM »
Thank you so much for responding.  To hear that someone knew my grandpa and my mum has brought tears to my eyes.  Mum often used to tell us stories about the hard times in Belfast but was proud to be from there nonetheless.  Where does your mum live now?  Would love to know a bit more if your mum has more memories.  After her mum died, my mum and her sister were looked after by one of two nans.  All I know is they were Granny Auld and Granny Clark.  Now mum has passed, the only way I have of finding my family is by going to Belfast and looking up records.  I know a great deal about my dad's side of the family but very little about mums so any insight your mum could give would be immensely appreciated.  Do understand if there is not much more to tell but would be interested.  Thanks again for answering.  I am Michelle but my grandpa used to call me Marcel in his very strong Belfast accent.

JimG

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 09:27:34 AM »

Surprise that Jamiaca st doesn’t come in Belfast forums  search engine top RH icon
1911 census
2.3 in Academy (St. Anne's Ward, Antrim)
Auld William 26 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Belfast Fireman on Ship Read and write - Married - - -Auld Sarah 24 Female Wife Roman Catholic Belfast - Read and write - Married -  - -
Annie Cranston possibly Ann b 1906 father David Co Antrim UHF ancestryireland.com possibly m 1928 as Annie same source Annie 5 Female Step Daughter Roman Catholic Belfast Scholar Cannot Read or write - Single -
David Cranston b 1907 Co Antrim UHF ancestryireland.com fathers name missing David 4 Male Step Son Roman Catholic Belfast Scholar Cannot Read or write - Single - -

using street directories http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk  you could print out all the neighbours for Jamaica Street my selections are
1961 no Cranston found
6. Clarke, Thomas
 8. Clarke, Thomas, motor driver
18. Cranston, David, sailor
1932 neither family

not in http://www.belfastcemeterysearch.com/milltown/?s=Cranston&sa=search&scat=0 [if b 27 May 1906 Hood was mothers birth name IGie]
not in http://www.irishmariners.ie/searchdatabase.php?

I did try https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/ and there are records under civil records I was hoping to find church records do have a look  at this important website
Good luck onwards

mhanmer

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 11:45:46 AM »
Have received mum's birth certificate and present at her birth was Henrietta Valant who lived at number 68 Jamaica Street.  Anyone related to Henrietta?

mhanmer

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 11:50:04 AM »
BTW, thank you Jim for responding with those links.  I am definitely coming to Belfast this year. I am desperate to find family I have never seen before.  Have met most on my father's side but none on mother's side. 

CMcG

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 01:15:37 PM »
Just to add to JimG's information ...

David Vincent Cranston was born on 19 February 1908 to parents David Cranston senior (note: recorded as deceased in the birth record below) and Sarah Hood:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1908/01669/1664595.pdf

David Vincent Cranston was baptised 4 days later in St. Patrick's Belfast, the baptismal record was subsequently annotated to say that he later went on to marry Elizabeth P Clarke in St. Patrick's on 2 August 1934.  GRONI online has that record.

His parents David Cranston senior and Sarah Hood married in St. Anne's Church of Ireland Belfast on 3 January 1903, the groom's father was recorded as David Cranston, labourer, and the bride's as William Hood, tailor:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1903/10221/5720395.pdf

Looks like a mixed marriage, for a baptismal record for this couple's other son William (b. 1903 but sadly died the following year) described father David as non Catholic. In addition, St. Patrick's Belfast also has a record for an adult David Cranston of Little Edward Street who was baptised on 30 September 1907.  He clearly knew his days were numbered, for he died only a few weeks later, before seeing his son David Vincent born:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1907/05516/4545917.pdf

The couple also had a daughter Ann born in 1906.

After David Cranston senior died in 1907, widow Sarah (Hood) Cranston married William Auld on 9 March 1911:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1911/09946/5615880.pdf

A few weeks later, the 1911 Ireland census was taken and as JimG said, William Auld can be seen with his new wife and step children, David and Annie Cranston:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/St__Anne_s_Ward/Academy/133292/

CMcG

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 01:30:54 PM »
David Vincent Cranston's sister Annie (b. 1906) went on to marry John Joseph Quinn in St. Patrick's Belfast on 8 December 1928.  The church marriage record shows John Joseph Quinn's address as 52 McDonnell Street and his parents as Alex Quinn and Mary Morrison.  The record shows Annie Cranston's address as 44 Little Corporation Street and her parents as (unsurprisingly) David Cranston and Sarah Hood. The witnesses to the marriage were John McIlveen of 60 Broadway and Margaret Boyd of 40 Rockmore Road.

St. Patrick's baptismal records indicate:

- a son William Quinn born to this couple in 1929 who went on to marry Edna Suffering in Church of Our Lady Help of Christians at Kentish Town London in 1953 ;

- a daughter Shelia Quinn born to this couple in 1930 who went on to marry Patrick Bates in St. Patrick's Belfast in 1954;

- a son John Quinn born to this couple in 1931.

mhanmer

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 01:52:17 PM »
Thank you all for this amazing information.  Had me in tears to find so much information.  It was my birthday yesterday and this has been the best present ever.  I did try searching for my grandmother's birth and death certificates, Elizabeth P Clarke, but could not find them.  Any tips on how to refine the search? I know she died very young from TB.

Once again, thank you for your generosity of time in finding this information for me.  It is deeply appreciated.

Michelle

CMcG

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 04:58:10 PM »
The Elizabeth P Clarke who married David Cranston on 2 August 1934 was living then at 68 Carlisle Street Belfast, she was the 21 year old daughter of labourer Thomas Clarke.  A John Quinn was one of the marriage witnesses, I wouldn't be surprised if he was David Cranston's brother-in-law (ie. who married sister Annie Cranston in 1928).  My best guess is that Elizabeth P Clarke was the following  daughter born to Thomas Clarke and Sarah McKinney on St. Patrick's Day 1913, she was baptised 3 days later in St. Patrick's Belfast:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1913/01455/1594283.pdf

Can't immediately find a death for Elizabeth (P Clarke) Cranston that fits (ie. young), maybe fresh eyes will ...

CMcG

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 10:28:05 PM »
Some half-siblings to David Vincent Cranston ...

After marrying in 1911, William Auld and Sarah Cranston (nee Hood) had a son Patrick Auld in 1912 who in turn went on to marry Anna Pollock in St. Patrick's Belfast in 1932. From the Belfast Telegraph of 18 November 1958: POLLOCK - November 17, 1958, at his son-in-law's residence, 5 Great Northern Street, William Pollock.  Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Daughter and Son-in-law, Annie and Patrick Auld, Grandchildren and Great-grandchildren. From the Belfast Telegraph of 24 February 1945: HIGGINS - Cherished memory of my dear sister, ELIZABETH, called Home 24th February 1943. Lovingly remembered by her Brother Thomas; also her Brother-in-law W. Pollock, Niece and Nephew Annie and Patrick Auld and Family, 22 Keadyville Avenue. The Belfast  Telegraph of 25 June 1948 carried a story about a 15 year old Elizabeth Auld of 22 Keadyville Avenue who had been injured at Jennymount Mill - maybe a daughter of Patrick and Annie...

William Auld and Sarah Cranston (nee Hood) also had a daughter Teresa Auld in 1925, the address then was 44 Little Corporation Street which matches Annie Cranston's address at the time of her marriage to John Joseph Quinn in 1928.

There was also an Elizabeth Auld baptised in St. Patrick's Belfast in December 1916 for parents William Auld and Sarah Cranston of 44 Little Corporation Street and an Emmanuel Auld baptised in same church, same parents, same address in June 1919.

CMcG

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 08:13:42 AM »
Mistranscribed as Crauston in the GRONI index:

At 51 Lisburn Road (now Belfast City Hospital) on 25 August 1944, the death of Elizabeth Patricia Cranston, late of 18 Jamaica Street, the 32 year old wife of David Vincent Cranston an Ex-Seaman, death was due to pulmonary tuberculosis and the informant in attendance was David V. Cranston of 18 Jamaica Street. 

CMcG

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 08:40:33 AM »

... My best guess is that Elizabeth P Clarke was the following  daughter born to Thomas Clarke and Sarah McKinney on St. Patrick's Day 1913, she was baptised 3 days later in St. Patrick's Belfast:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1913/01455/1594283.pdf

Thomas Clarke married Sarah McKinney in St. Patricks Belfast on 8 January 1907, the groom's father was given as Peter Clarke, the bride's as James McKinney:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1907/10079/5665973.pdf

They went on to have several children, including Elizabeth Patricia in 1913, here was the family with one daughter in 1911:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/St__Anne_s_Ward/Exchange_Street/133576/

CMcG

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 09:56:23 AM »
Some siblings of Elizabeth Patricia Clarke (ie. parents Thomas Clarke and Sarah McKinney):-

- Mary Ann Clarke born 9 October 1907 (the one shown in the 1911 census return previously posted above), the civil record gave the address as 9 Union Place;

- Eliza Clarke born 27 August 1909, the civil record gave the address as 8 Union Place - Eliza died in July the following year at 24 Moffett Street;

- Sarah Clarke born 11 April 1911, the civil record gave the address as 25 Exchange Street, not surprisingly the same address as the census return taken a few days earlier in 1911, as previously posted above;

- Thomas Vincent Clarke born 1918, the St. Patrick's baptismal record gave the address as 24 Gordon Street;

- Patrick Clarke born 1920, the St. Patrick's baptismal record gave the address as 19 Gordon Street and says he went on to get married in Holy Cross Ardoyne to Rebecca Valentine in 1939;

- Teresa Clarke born 1925, the St. Patrick's baptismal record gave the address as 24 Gordon Street.

CMcG

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 10:50:08 AM »

Have received mum's birth certificate and present at her birth was Henrietta Valant who lived at number 68 Jamaica Street.  Anyone related to Henrietta?

Some siblings of Elizabeth Patricia Clarke (ie. parents Thomas Clarke and Sarah McKinney) ...

- Patrick Clarke born 1920, the St. Patrick's baptismal record gave the address as 19 Gordon Street and says he went on to get married in Holy Cross Ardoyne to Rebecca Valentine in 1939 ...

It turns out that Valentine was a mistranscription in the church record, it was Rebecca Valente that Patrick Clarke married in 1939 (the GRONI marriage index confirms it).  Rebecca was the daughter b. 1918 to Francisco Valente and Henrietta Magee who married in St. Patrick's Belfast in 1910.

So that explains the 'Henrietta Valant' who was present at your mother's birth, your grandmother Elizabeth Patricia Clarke's brother Patrick went on to marry Rebecca Valente and Henrietta was her mother (Henrietta became your grandmother's sister-in-law's mother?). Besides the family connection post 1939, it's possible that she was a family acquaintance and known for experience with births and acting in the role of an informal midwife (termed a 'handywoman').